MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Type of MN CITO

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FlagFinder
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: New Type of MN CITO Reply with quote

some of you may already know about this but i have an idea for a new cito. ok i was doing a job interview with the head of the MN DNR program called Adopt-A-River. he mentioned that using it for a geocaching event would be great and would raise awareness of the program. i also have the heads up from surfer joe as long as geocachers plan it so heres how it works. you choose a body of water to clean up the shores along it make shure its still availiable. then you register your group. this is a cito that will have to be done about once every 2 months or so and for 2 years minimum. i think it would be a great idea i just dont want to lead one...yet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Surfer Joe
Minnesota Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify, Surfer Joe did NOT give the OK for any "new type of MN CITO" event. As always, all events must meet the geocaching.com guidelines for event caches in order to be listed on the site.
Oneied Cooky
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This could work for A event. But I don't see it happening every 2 months for 2 yrs at the same lake.
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points.

I think it would be commendable for a group to do this. It would be cool to have a group name on some sort of signage, like they do for the adopt a highway thing, but I don't know if this program does that.

As far at CITO events go, maybe hold one as a kick off, and encourage cachers to commit to the cleanup project of their own accord for the other months. I wouldn't go as far to say have an event every 2 months, but a kick off and maybe one at the end of the two years to wrap it up?

I'm perfectly fine with doing that, even if my find count doesn't go up, it puts geocachers out there in a positive light, and we can always use that.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But in order to be a part of the program people *must* clean up on a regular basis -- not just when they feel like it.
FlagFinder
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the guy who runs this event is a friend of mine so i asked him about it we would make it fit the guidlines and he said you do it anualy but as needed it doesnt have to be evry 2 months just as needed and surfer joe you didnt publish it you said it would work if we did it on our own. and the dnr official said it would be our group. i dont know if we get a sign i do know with the program in other states you do. this event wouldnt be its own type on the web site im just saying its a new thing we could do. it is basicly adopt a highway only with the coast of lakes in my area i was thinking of centerville lake because its easily acessible but i wouldnt take the whole lake but just part probubly the west side. but ofcoarse i will at least wait 1 year if youve met me you would know why.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/adoptriver/index.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: