MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Waypoint Downloads to Garmin 60csx using GSAK

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grey Wolf and Wild Rice
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Waypoint Downloads to Garmin 60csx using GSAK Reply with quote

Is there a way to clear the current waypoints in the GPS during a download of waypoints from GSAK without doing a delete from the GPS....like I could do with my old Magellan.
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that I'm aware of. The only way to do this is to delete existing ones and resend.

I haven't looked into this too closely, but if all other identifiers are equal (name, symbol) it might overwrite the existing waypoint.
celticwulf
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucidOndine wrote:
I haven't looked into this too closely, but if all other identifiers are equal (name, symbol) it might overwrite the existing waypoint.

Ummm...wrong as usual Lucid Wink So far, from what I've seen on the 76 (which I assume is the same on the 60), the waypoint that is in the GPSr first stays...if something is loaded with the same name, only the first in the GPSr is kept.

I agree that it would be nice if the GPS would just overwrite the oldest at times, but in reality, I like having some waypoints that I can keep in the GPS without reloading, and it doesn't seem like that much extra to delete the caches...at least from what I've found.

CW
Grey Wolf and Wild Rice
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

celticwulf wrote:
the waypoint that is in the GPSr first stays...if something is loaded with the same name, only the first in the GPSr is kept.CW

That's what I have seen as happening. Luckily the GPS displays a "Memory Full" warning so I can start all over with the waypoint loading process.

Oh well.....looks like something to get used to.

Thanks
TimbreWlf
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With my Garmin Venture I would use the "delete all by icon" (or whatever the actual menu item was) to clear out old caches before loading new ones. Anything I wanted to keep in the system perpetually (like my own caches) would have an obscure icon so I wouldn't delete them. It made it just a little easier.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

celticwulf wrote:
Ummm...wrong as usual Lucid Wink So far, from what I've seen on the 76 (which I assume is the same on the 60), the waypoint that is in the GPSr first stays...if something is loaded with the same name, only the first in the GPSr is kept.

!! Didn't know that.. That would explain that one WeekNIGHT where I was looking 60 feet north of everyone else...
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucidOndine wrote:

I've found that to be true with my 60Cx, but if there is something different, the new one is changed to "GCZZZZ 1".
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After playing with my GPSr last night, I confirmed GeoPierce's claim.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

celticwulf wrote:
LucidOndine wrote:

I agree that it would be nice if the GPS would just overwrite the oldest at times, but in reality, I like having some waypoints that I can keep in the GPS without reloading, and it doesn't seem like that much extra to delete the caches...at least from what I've found.

CW

I thought for sure that if I sent an "updated" waypoint it would overwrite the existing one so long as just the name is the same. Now I'll have to check.
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to go the other route. Using GSAK, I'll download what's in my GPSr to one directory and the new gpx into another directory. Then I'll copy and merge them together. That way any updates to an existing waypoint are captured. They upload them back to the GPSr.

I also agree. Change the icon for those waypoint you don't want to erase from the GPSr and then use the delete by symbol function.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have many people's homes and my wife's workplace in my GPS. I mark those as "Residence" and then just delete all the "Geocache Found" and "Unfound" from the GPS before doing an upload.
celticwulf
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
I have many people's homes and my wife's workplace in my GPS. I mark those as "Residence" and then just delete all the "Geocache Found" and "Unfound" from the GPS before doing an upload.

Yeah, I do the same. I figure it's the easiest way to make sure I have the latest coordinates from my PQ's instead of hoping that the stuff "overwrote" the previous one (which I still don't believe, but that's just me). It just seems that some people like to be more complicated than they have to be...the "delete by symbol" works quickly Wink

CW
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the delete by symbol, but I categorize the type of caches using different waypoint symbols. It makes it a pain to delete all the categories, but its what I've been doing.
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a new 60Cx for X-mas, very cool toy! Something I've considered doing is putting places I want to "keep" such as home, work, etc. into the unit as "Points of Interest"

From what I've learned about them it sounds like they are stored in a separate area of the memory, if that makes any sense. It looks like Garmin has links to different companies that work with POI's as they are called. A lot of them are European in nature, but there is one company that you can buy different POI sets and another that has software to create your own POI's. Both look very useful. The one has POI's like all NFL/NBA/MLB/NHL arenas and stadiums. Each league is only $1.00 For me shooting sports out of town that is the best 4 bucks spent! It looked like they had all kinds of different stores restaurants, even one list of POI's that is nothing but gentleman's clubs. (Cause you know someone was bound to do it)

Anyone know more about the POI's vs. Waypoints. Typically if I'm on the road I'll try to load caches in that are near the hotel or stadium or places I know I'll be. Because I'm lazy on my old GPS I'd just blow out all the other waypoints and load in the new city. With the POI's I'm thinking I can blow out waypoints and be able to keep my "permanent" waypoints like home work etc as POI's instead. The only thing I've seen is with POI's you have to upload them all at once, meaning if you add some POI's later you have to make sure your old ones are still on your PC in the same file as your new ones, as it runs over the memory entirely.
5savages
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNMizzou wrote:
Anyone know more about the POI's vs. Waypoints. Typically if I'm on the road I'll try to load caches in that are near the hotel or stadium or places I know I'll be. Because I'm lazy on my old GPS I'd just blow out all the other waypoints and load in the new city. With the POI's I'm thinking I can blow out waypoints and be able to keep my "permanent" waypoints like home work etc as POI's instead. The only thing I've seen is with POI's you have to upload them all at once, meaning if you add some POI's later you have to make sure your old ones are still on your PC in the same file as your new ones, as it runs over the memory entirely.

I'm starting to learn more about custom POIs now that I have a GPS that I can send them to.

With my Legend Cx, I can access the memory card as a removable drive. I then rename the POI file (poi.gpi) as something else. Then, when I upload another POI file, the renamed file remains. When I go to the custom POIs, I can then select which database I want to use. The databases are the same as the name of the file originally uploaded, NOT the new name you gave it.

I'm experimenting with loading up all of MN geocaches as one POI file so I don't have to deal with the 500 waypoint limit and I don't have to reload when I go to different parts of the state. Another benefit, is when I use GSAK to create the POI file, I have the option of filling up the 132 character comment field with various cache info, such as hints or cache description (up to the character limit).

You also have the option of setting up a an uploaded POI file with proximity alerts, so if you get within so many feet of a cache, you get an alert. This could be handy when on the road...if a prox alert comes up and I have the time, I could go find it...or try to anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: