MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Medallion Hunt Park Destruction
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A positive spin? Interesting. Any more detail? I am sitting in the back of a car right now going up north... No access to a TV for streaming video for awhile. How do you give a story about killing part of a park a positive spin, I wonder. =)

-Aaron
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a laffer. My personal summary of the story:

"We had a story, but then it snowed and covered up the evidence. Nevertheless, the show must go on".

-Rick
berg0449
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by berg0449 on Sun Feb 08, 2004 3:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reports. Not curious to see it anymore.

-Aaron @ N45 14.500' W093 39.500'
Lyverbird
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil or Very Mad Oh I'm so disappointed. I just saw the 6:15 edition. Well of course the wild flowers are safe. They drop seeds and grow back from them. Did they not see the the tree damage. Mad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOLD THE HORSES!!!!!
Careful on this one!!!

I agree its easy to get upset about it...but you need to look at a big picture.

What I will tell you is this....the "Cooler Crew" a large group of people that will be at the event on sunday (medallion hunters) is already in the process of doing an "adopt a park" they truely care!!!

I agree that things might look bad....I have issues as well. I did see a few drunks doing dumb things but that is just just a few people...there's dumb people that geocache as well....

One of the biggest things that bothered me is was that I didn't see a trash can in the entire area of the park.

I was there on one day for 18hrs....I didn't even carry in any food wrappers or cans....I know most of the people didn't. Most of the garbage that was there was dug up.
Its the same as when I go to other park systems and get mad doing a CITO only to find out when I get back to the parking lot there is still not a trash can to be seen....

I guess all I'm trying to saying is it would be really easy to have the parks and rec. but a ban on "all forms of treasure hunts"..............
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that a weekend day close to Earth Day will be "Cooler Crew Phalen Clean-up Day" About 10-12 volunteers have already signed up.

I was in the area today, and the snow probably covered a lot. I trashed out a gallon water jug, a few chip bags, pop bottles and broken tools. Other than the tools and jug, the stuff looked way older than a week or so.

arrive...raise heck...leave (SCSA)

Last edited by King Boreas on Sat Feb 07, 2004 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm...sounds great KB....did you know that geocaching.com has planned for april 17th as a major CITO day?
http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=62593

I would suggest we hold our event at the same location or at least in a nearby park(keller).....but phalen is big enough if we hit the entire park.
Queen Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While it seems that much of the garbage is not the fault of medallion hunters, does that excuse the damage and destruction to trees, living or dead? It seems as if the damage to the natural environment is getting a free pass in this discussion. Embarassed
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does damage to DEAD trees really matter? oh..how i'm confused on that!!!!
berg0449
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I removed my posts because I think people may get the wrong opinion on my comments since they were based on looking from a distance. I believe, from my untrained natural opinion, from what I have seen the area will be ok in the spring, but will hold judgement till then. There is alot of garbage, but that can be cleaned up.
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Berg- No need to remove posts. Hrum. You could have just said "I've now seen it in real life," and then the rest of what you said. We're all only human.

Kitch- We're not against medallion hunters here.

Cheers,
-Aaron
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Kitch- We're not against medallion hunters here.
I agree--I think if there is permanent destruction at Phalen that makes a bad name for treasure hunters everywhere, the fault lies mostly with whoever has been writing the clues for the Medallion Hunt the past couple of years--last year, even a fellow journalist at the same paper had a pretty scathing opinion of the clues.
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know(not againt mediallion hunters) against dumbpeople......its just a big picture we need to look at.....

i think a lot of people are talking that haven't seen firsthand what happened and voiceing opionions... (i can't spell).....

my view is this....... the park official talked about it.....and then somebody gets upset that it wasn't enough.....
whatsagps
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is too bad that a bunch of bad apples in the Medallion Hunt feel the need to wreck the park inorder to search. I'm not a follower of the hunt so it was kinof a surprize when both Kitch and KB both emailed me to let me know the area was being trashed around my hide (The Buddy Cache), (thanks to them for letting me though), and when I was able to get out there the next day I could'nt believe how much damage was being done...I mean I think the medallion hunt is clear in that it isn't going to be buried in the ground, you dont have to hack trees apart to find it, or rip up dormant plants. Anyway it is a shame, but it happens every year. The sad thing is that some folks still think geocaching is bad for the park systems....I for one know that the bag full of beer cans and trash near my cache site didnt come from fellow cachers Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Park Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: