MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Palm OS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject: Palm OS Reply with quote

I was given a Palm Tungsten 3 not too long ago. (Thank the gods for relatives who are not patient enough to figure out their own electronics!)
I got the cables, cradle, etc. I did not get the CD however. Does anyone know where I can get a CD or download OS? I have looked at the website, and although I can get upgrades, they don't have the basics available that I can see.
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be able to help you out. Your not coming to WNC this week are you?
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not giving you any hints.

When you can't figure it out just e-mail me and I will take it off your hands for you. Laughing
celticwulf
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'm slightly confused by what you're asking for...all palm units have the palm OS preloaded on the system. That's why you can always recover to start with a hard reset.

However, if you're looking for the desktop software, you mean you couldn't find it on this page?

If that doesn't work for ya, add a bit more details and someone should be able to help. I know for my handheld I've had to go download the hotsync manager a few times, I always find the CD a week after I've dloaded it Wink

CW
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

celticwulf wrote:
OK, I'm slightly confused by what you're asking for...all palm units have the palm OS preloaded on the system. That's why you can always recover to start with a hard reset.

However, if you're looking for the desktop software, you mean you couldn't find it on this page?

If that doesn't work for ya, add a bit more details and someone should be able to help. I know for my handheld I've had to go download the hotsync manager a few times, I always find the CD a week after I've dloaded it Wink

CW

According to the website, I need the CD to utilize all the options on the Palm.
Quote:
If you don't have the CD, you can install the version on this page, but you may be unable to sync some items.

Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moe the Sleaze wrote:
I may be able to help you out. Your not coming to WNC this week are you?

That would be great Moe. I am not in any great hurry, maybe I will see you next week?
celticwulf
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red_Devil35 wrote:
According to the website, I need the CD to utilize all the options on the Palm.
Quote:
If you don't have the CD, you can install the version on this page, but you may be unable to sync some items.

Umm...do you need the "extra bonus" items from the CD, or do you just want to use the palm to synch with cachemate? Cause it looks to me on quick read that the only thing you'll miss is any of the "extras" from the disc, and if you don't care about those, the dload version will be just fine.

CW
Bad_CRC
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've bought 3 palm PDAs in the past few weeks since getting hooked on paperless caching. (and I've only been paperless caching 3 times!) Smile

you can download the software you need to sync with your PC.

assuming windows,

http://www.palm.com/us/support/downloads/windesk414e.html

This is the "palm desktop" software that lets you do all kinds of weird things like sync up your calendar and other things I have no use for. But it also includes the hotsync manager, which is the little progam that lets you send the files to the palm, pretty much the only piece I use.
fidian
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are looking just for the ability to send files without the HotSync manager, you can also look at Pilot Install. With that standalone program (needs no installation), you can send pictures without needing a picture viewer, and that's in addition to just sending Palm databases and programs without waiting for a full HotSync.

Me? I just copy to the SD card, but I'm so boring.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: