MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Software
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grey Wolf and Wild Rice
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moe the Sleaze wrote:
Remember, with the "x" models, you can have City Select on one memory card and topo on another. Then just swap 'em out as needed.

Am I assuming correct that City Select and TOPO could be on the same card if it's big enough?
RubberToes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grey Wolf and Wild Rice wrote:
Moe the Sleaze wrote:
Remember, with the "x" models, you can have City Select on one memory card and topo on another. Then just swap 'em out as needed.

Am I assuming correct that City Select and TOPO could be on the same card if it's big enough?

Absolutely. I have a 1GB card and I'm nowhere near filling it up. My brother has a 256KB card on which he has City Select and topo maps for most of Pacific Northwest.

The thing to remember is that if you load maps from multiple products, the 60CSx will by default display the most detailed map. This would usually be City Select. To get the topo maps to display when you want them, you need to use the Map Setup options in the GPSr to temporarily hide City Select.

It's much easier than it sounds.
Grey Wolf and Wild Rice
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So which do you use the most? City Select or TOPO?

If you were to do it all over again and only buy one, which one?
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never used topo and don't really see the need in this part of the world.
RubberToes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So which do you use the most? City Select or TOPO?

If you were to do it all over again and only buy one, which one?

Definitely buy City Select (now replaced by City Navigator). You need this for autorouting, and you want that for sure.

The topo maps do not support autorouting. I only have the topos because I had bought them for my old receiver.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moe the Sleaze wrote:

I have topo and quit using it when I got city select. I was very disappointed when I got it.. It seems useless in the metro area. Not nearly enough topo lines. Maybe it would come in handy up in Duluth or out in California.
Grey Wolf and Wild Rice
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have any experience with shoreline accuracy on City Navigator?
IBcrashen
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both loaded on my 60. I use topo more often than city select up here. Its nice to see streams and lakes and which side you have to be on them. If I do auto route I let it calcutate the route and then turn city select off. As long as you keep to your route it will still work with topo showing. But if you do go off your gps will go nuts , that is why I will do another find/ off road when I get close.
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have any experience with shoreline accuracy on City Navigator?

CN ignores many smaller bodies of water. Those that it does include are accurate enough for my kayaking purposes but I don't think I would trust them for speeding along in a power boat in the fog.

If shorelines are a high priority for you, you may want to look into Garmin's Minnesota Lakes maps.

Also, I'm told that lakes data is where Lowrance really shines.
Dances With Beehives
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't think I would trust them for speeding along in a power boat in the fog.

I wouldn’t recommend this with any software/system Shocked
5savages
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moe the Sleaze wrote:

I use both the topo maps and Metroguide on my etrex legend. I like topo for three reason

1. Topo will show all the forest roads in the arrowhead region of Minnesota.

2. Topo maps allow you to select smaller chunks of maps, thereby requiring less memory. This is an issue on the measely 8MB of memory the legend has.

3. I like finding out the names of small streams or lakes as I travel about, particularly in areas I'm familiar with. When I first brought my GPS to South Dakota when we went pheasant hunting last year, even my Dad got a kick out finding out the names of land features he's seen over the last 50 years.

But you can't beat the ability of Metroguide to find the nearest Dairy Queen!

The only annoying thing about switching between topo & metroguide is sometime it's hard to figure out the name of the map you're trying to turn on or off.
Hayward Cheezehead
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Garmin Etrex Legend C. For my birthday I got the the MapSource U.S topo package. Not using any other programs I like the Topo program very much. Thou some of the map info is not up to date or have the wrong raod names it works quit well for around here.

The topo programs shows a lot of trails that are on County, State and Fedral land. For now my Etrex does the job, but I would like to upgrade ina few years. Having extra cards would be nice so I can map all the diffrent trails around here that are not on the maps..
IBcrashen
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5savages wrote:
Moe the Sleaze wrote:

I use both the topo maps and Metroguide on my etrex legend. I like topo for three reason

1. Topo will show all the forest roads in the arrowhead region of Minnesota.

2. Topo maps allow you to select smaller chunks of maps, thereby requiring less memory. This is an issue on the measely 8MB of memory the legend has.

3. I like finding out the names of small streams or lakes as I travel about, particularly in areas I'm familiar with. When I first brought my GPS to South Dakota when we went pheasant hunting last year, even my Dad got a kick out finding out the names of land features he's seen over the last 50 years.

But you can't beat the ability of Metroguide to find the nearest Dairy Queen!

The only annoying thing about switching between topo & metroguide is sometime it's hard to figure out the name of the map you're trying to turn on or off.

Just turn off all the maps at once, lots easier and faster. On the map page hit Menu/setup map, next hit menu/ turn on/off city select or metro guide
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RubberToes wrote:
Moe the Sleaze wrote:

This might be possible, but those miniSD cards are pretty small. I wouldn't want to try swapping one in in the field. Talk about a needle in a haystack if you drop one.

For my money, it's easier to switch between the two maps with a couple of button clicks.

I've got a 1GB chip and certainly would be easier to keep them on the same one.
ghost640
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RubberToes wrote:
Moe the Sleaze wrote:

This might be possible, but those miniSD cards are pretty small. I wouldn't want to try swapping one in in the field. Talk about a needle in a haystack if you drop one.

For my money, it's easier to switch between the two maps with a couple of button clicks.

C'mon, you're a geocacher! What's more rewarding than finding a fingernail-sized object containing all your vital data! Very Happy

Actually my reason for posting is to point you folks to free topo maps through the MN DNR's Data Deli - they call them Digital Raster Graphics there; you can also get Digital Ortho Quad photos, which are 1 m gray scale photos. No, you can't upload these to a Garmin (dang), but they are great for pre-caching reconnaissance.

Data Deli
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: