MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Open Pocket Query .gpx file in Microsoft Excel

View previous topic :: View next topic  
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Open Pocket Query .gpx file in Microsoft Excel Reply with quote

I am trying to open a Pocket Query .gpx file in Excel 2003 Profesional SP2 by changing the extension to .xml and then selecting open with Microsoft Excel.

I get errors and only some of the data is imported.

Does anyone have any experience with opening Pocket Query .gpx files in Microsoft Excel?
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you trying to accomplish by opening it in Excel? That would help us to determine what you need.

At the minimum you would want to convert it to a CSV with GPSbabel or a frontend for it like GSAK and then open it.
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am trying to parse the text inside the .gpx file to add the container size to any field that I can read on my gps. I would like to do this without purchasing another software program.

Excel 2003 pro supports xml files so I would think I should be able to deal with the file in xml format if .gpx files follow xml standards.

Unless there is an easier way?
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not professing to know much, in fact, I'll just stick out of the technical end of it, but gpsbabel is free under the GNU licensing. At least there's nothing you'd need to purchase.
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still recommend buying GSAK. It's a lifetime purchase with upgrades when ever they come out. You can configure the download to your gps to list almost anything.

I have it download Waypoint, Smart Name, Cont, Dif, Ter. You can send just about anything to the GPSr using it's code if the GPSr supports it.
RINO SHAWN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcticabn wrote:
I still recommend buying GSAK. It's a lifetime purchase with upgrades when ever they come out. You can configure the download to your gps to list almost anything.

I have it download Waypoint, Smart Name, Cont, Dif, Ter. You can send just about anything to the GPSr using it's code if the GPSr supports it.

I agree ....You definateley get more than your money's worth with GSAK!
Works with lots of other software....and you can sort and just load right to your GPSr. My $.02 Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: