MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mn cachers, bug habits, and the groundspeak forums
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Bugs are in cache, and ready for pickup! Reply with quote

fsu*noles wrote:
perhaps we can salvage some of MNGCA's rep, it appears to be taking a beating over on GC.com's boards.

???????? taking a beating over what?
Why does our reputation need salvaged??? Crying or Very sad
Sorry, but I don't ever monitor the gc boards. What happened?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Bugs are in cache, and ready for pickup! Reply with quote

fsu*noles wrote:
Many thanks as always to anyone that can help move the bugs along - perhaps we can salvage some of MNGCA's rep, it appears to be taking a beating over on GC.com's boards. Thanks, and best regards!

It's been very, very rare where I've found anything remotely intelligent over on gc.com's boards. In all honesty, this is why I got interested in the mngca.org forums.

I take our "rep" over there with a grain of salt.

-Aaron
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Bugs are in cache, and ready for pickup! Reply with quote

Centris wrote:
Sorry, but I don't ever monitor the gc boards. What happened?

Whatever it is, it was garbage, I have no interest in anything those people say/do. I refuse to read the GC.com forums because of their poor standards.

Silent Bob
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do skim the gc.com boards but have no idea to what fsu*noles was referring.
fsu*noles
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy folks, not trying to stir up the pot or anything, honest!

First off, Thanks to Silent Bob for grabbing the Ohio-bound TB and helping to move it along - even though it's not my bug, I did become attached to it hauling it around Belgium/Rome/London and it's nice to know it's in good hands!

As for the rest, don't worry 'bout it. There was a short thread on GC.com that started as a "congrats" for Centris finding 1,000 bugs. It turned into a bashing session instead, and when I threw in my .02 in her defense, there were a couple of additional posts that talked about cachers "in that area".

A couple of people were complaining about their bugs not moving, just being "shown around", with one person saying their bug has been stuck here for 4 months. Another poster mentioned MNGCA by name, and said that the whole group of cachers in that group had high bug counts inflated by showing them around to other memebers.

Now that I'm talking about it, I'll go dig the thread up - my comment really wasn't meant to cause any kind of trouble, I didn't know y'all didn't read the boards over there. I'm new here, and it just surprised me to see anything negative 'bout this group, 'tis all. OK, found it, fwiw, here's the thread:

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=63178
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the url, fsu*noles. I wouldn't exactly say that the MNGCA's reputiation needs to be "salvaged" and I'm not thinking it took a "beating" either.

A conversation over breakfast last weekend summed it up pretty well I think, talking about how open and exposed geocaching is: people will do whatever they want. If someone goes around and muggles caches, there's not much you can do about it. "It's all part of the game," someone added. If someone wants to not take a long hike in the woods and take shortcuts and find alternative enterances to find more caches in a day, there's not much you can do about it. Same thing with people that want to place as many caches as possible and people that want to log as many bugs as possible... "To each their own," as the saying goes... and that's one of the neato things of geocaching right now.

Some people, including some MNGCA members that read these forums refuse to log a bug unless they move it. I personally only log bugs that I've seen, reguardless if I've moved the or not... and other people will log a bug simply if they find the number for it posted, or were given the number by someone else.

I even know someone that logged two finds on a multi cache... one for the first part and another find the next day for the optional portion of it. I don't agree with it, but that's what they thought made sense to them, and that's 100% fine with me.

So it's whatever people want to do and how people reguard their own personal statistics and what it means to them, I guess.

...and either way, if Centris logged 1000 bugs and found less than 400 caches, that's still a large acomplishment, reguardless of what somoene thinks should and should not be counted.

In the end, I don't think we have any problem with our reputation here... just a couple people in the boards not agreeing with the way some people "bug" up here.

-Aaron
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

s4xton wrote:
In the end, I don't think we have any problem with our reputation here... just a couple people in the boards not agreeing with the way some people "bug" up here.

exactly. There are the so-called "purists" out there that don't log temp caches at events, openly disagree with those that just note on bugs, don't believe in bug motel/hotels, etc. I find those people to be obnoxious honestly but that's their way and this is ours.

While I agree with the way that they do things (and also follow them) I am not about to rip anyone apart because they like to bug-hunt or log caches that they did at an event. That's their game... Mine is finding as many caches as I can in as little time as possible and keeping to my personal goals. I have my game and they have theirs... As Aaron said, that's the great thing about Geocaching right now.

Do we really want strict rules popping up? I would prefer we not...

Silent Bob
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fsu*noles wrote:
There was a short thread on GC.com that started as a "congrats" for Centris finding 1,000 bugs. It turned into a bashing session instead, and when I threw in my .02 in her defense, there were a couple of additional posts that talked about cachers "in that area".

Well they are just bashing me and not the MnGCA. If they were bashing our wonderful organization, then I might get upset. Mad I'm not even going to go look at what the whiners are posting about me, it is pointless.

Thanks for sticking up for me -- hope nobody flamed you for it. Look at it this way, If they are grousing about me they are just giving some other poor geocacher a break..... it was just my turn. Rolling Eyes

As everyone knows, I don't really care what anyone thinks of ME or posts about me...... I'm just doing my thing and having fun in the process.
I think it doesn't matter what anybody does or doesn't do in this sport... somebody is gonna fuss about it because they don't like it, or it isn't what they are doing, so it is automatically wrong. You can't win with that bunch. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
JT
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:38 pm    Post subject: But you can win with this bunch Reply with quote

Quote:
somebody is gonna fuss about it because they don't like it, or it isn't what they are doing, so it is automatically wrong. You can't win with that bunch. Confused

But you sure can win with this bunch. Very Happy So, what is your new goal for 2004?

-JT
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: But you can win with this bunch Reply with quote

KC0QEG wrote:
So, what is your new goal for 2004?

I hope to hit at least 600 found by 2005. (while maintaining my current GPA)
Also will placing a few in the Coon Rapids/Anoka/Andover/etc area.

BTW -- Has anyone noticed that you can write notes on any Tbug and it posts? Even without the bug number...... this is a recipe for disaster. Hopefully it is just a glitch in the system right now.
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: But you can win with this bunch Reply with quote

Centris wrote:
BTW -- Has anyone noticed that you can write notes on any Tbug and it posts? Even without the bug number...... this is a recipe for disaster. Hopefully it is just a glitch in the system right now.

From what I have heard from a few different sources, including a loose intrepetation of what Jeremy Irish has said in the forums, it's looking like they may eventaully stop counting "notes" as finds in the counts... so writing notes on travel bugs will be pointless unless you need to write something about it and not count it as a find.

The "disaster" in this case, is that people that choose to count bugs they find but do not move will eventually log as if they picked up bugs and dropped them in same cache the same day. If my impression is correct above, I wouldn't be surprised if you were not allowed to put it in the same cache after picking it up.

We'll see what happens.

Either way, it is concrete that your bug listing on your "My Cache Page" will only show bugs that you've moved... this was changed early to mid January. It does not list ones you've simply posted a note on. No pun intended, but Jeremy considered it a bug that it was listing bugs that you've only posted notes on.

-Aaron
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: But you can win with this bunch Reply with quote

s4xton wrote:
Either way, it is concrete that your bug listing on your "My Cache Page" will only show bugs that you've moved... this was changed early to mid January. It does not list ones you've simply posted a note on. No pun intended, but Jeremy considered it a bug that it was listing bugs that you've only posted notes on.

I just performed a quick test and noted on a bug. It did add to my totals without having the number.

Silent Bob
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: But you can win with this bunch Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
I just performed a quick test and noted on a bug. It did add to my totals without having the number.

Yup -- Do ya think I can get to 2000 bug finds by midnight???
(KIDDING!!!) Wink
Lyverbird
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you give us link to this forum and / or Irish's rule on bugs must be moved. Also, dare I say it.... who died and made him rule maker?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WicketsWanderingPonyPatro wrote:
Can you give us link to this forum and / or Irish's rule on bugs must be moved. Also, dare I say it.... who died and made him rule maker?

Hehe, he runs the site. If you want to have TBs that get added to your total when you just see them get to work on your database, HTML, CSS, and perl/C/etc skills Smile

Silent Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Travel Bugs All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: