MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WHHHAAZZZZZ THIS??????
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> Geocaching Websites
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pto
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^Off Topic^^
Wheres those board police when you need them..... Oh wait, ....... Rolling Eyes
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, it is a bit off topic, but then again the conversation has deviated a bit from "Whaazz this", when the answer to the topic question came within a few posts after the initial...

Since its been somewhat of a reunion of old (former?) MnGCA/NSC people, so I guess it really depends on how you draw the line. Feel free to bring it back on topic, whatever the topic is Question
pto
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont get me wrong, I dont mind one bit-
Its just good irony....
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is kind of funny... I think most of the angst in this post has been diffused (or I kind of hope, anyway).

There are many things that just don't deserve their own posts, but people want to say them. I'd be a bit afraid if someone opened a topic to talk about my flash. o_0

I'm with you... I just don't care Cool
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
jambro wrote:
Is that the word for Lucid, flashy? Hmmmmm.....I always had other words in mind. heh!

Well, telling him that's he's a nerd just isn't nice now is it? Razz

'If nerdiness were an Olympic event....'
Lucid would win a silver medal!
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little Red_Devil35 wrote:

And Celtic would take gold Razz
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucidOndine wrote:

Of course! Laughing
jambro
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmm...Miles - After rereading (and rereading again....and again...) your post and your reply here, I think it's possible I did take that particular quote out of context. I honestly don't know, so I have to take your word for it. I sincerely apologize if I stepped on it. However, that was just one of many insolent comments that can be found on the NSC pages - that one just stuck in my mind (however wrongly, apparently). It also does not alter my main point that your comments to newer MnGCA members were unnecessary.

Again, my apologies if I took that comment out of context. Good luck with NSC - I do hope it works out.
celticwulf
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red_Devil35 wrote:
LucidOndine wrote:

Of course! Laughing

Hey, at least I'm good for something!

wait...ummm...nevermind...

CW
miles58
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jambro wrote:
Hmmmmm...Miles - After rereading (and rereading again....and again...) your post and your reply here, I think it's possible I did take that particular quote out of context. I honestly don't know, so I have to take your word for it. I sincerely apologize if I stepped on it. However, that was just one of many insolent comments that can be found on the NSC pages - that one just stuck in my mind (however wrongly, apparently). It also does not alter my main point that your comments to newer MnGCA members were unnecessary.

Again, my apologies if I took that comment out of context. Good luck with NSC - I do hope it works out.

Accepted and forgotten. Ask Rouster,Wayfarin Stranger or PTO if you've any doubts about what goes back and forth between me and George.

I think if your new members want to comment on us they ought to have a perspective from which to make intelligent comment. What I said was not out of line, it was not untrue, and it offered insight into the attitude of some of the NSC members. Considering the events past, I can't see how any reasonable person should have trouble with it as long as it's all on the table. If you read the whole "Nazi election" thread over on NSC then you saw what I said in regard to MNGCA and there is nothing there.
jambro
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miles58 wrote:
jambro wrote:

Accepted and forgotten. Ask Rouster,Wayfarin Stranger or PTO if you've any doubts about what goes back and forth between me and George.

I think if your new members want to comment on us they ought to have a perspective from which to make intelligent comment. What I said was not out of line, it was not untrue, and it offered insight into the attitude of some of the NSC members. Considering the events past, I can't see how any reasonable person should have trouble with it as long as it's all on the table. If you read the whole "Nazi election" thread over on NSC then you saw what I said in regard to MNGCA and there is nothing there.

No, I disagree, it was out of line. If you'd have said something like, hey, we're a group of cachers with ideas other than what you find here at MnGCA, come check us out, I think that would have been welcome. Personally, I think it's a great idea to have more than one group in MN, that's why I wished you luck. But, instead, you make some harsh comments because of what you (and some of the others at NSC) experienced. Yeah, I think that's out of line. Would it be OK for me (or any other MnGCA member) to sign up there and start making the same type of comments regarding NSC? I think not - I think we'd probably be "selectively" discharged. The new members here can scan the forums at NSC (as I do from time to time) to gain their perspective. And I don't think asking for courtesy is unreasonable.

As I said, I have seen the banter on the NSC forum, very similar to what goes on here. We cachers are a odd bunch - who else would look for tupperware in the woods? Anyway, again, good luck.
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just a question for NSC members, since I'm not sure what the stance is or what your thoughts are.

I know the MnGCA is a publicly open community that everyone can be involved in. As an open community, it is (IMHO) neccessary to have some content moderation. So editting, moving and locking threads is in the best interest of the public.

On the other hand, NSC is more of a private community where some members can have accounts and (at least it appears to be the case) that others have been turned down or selectively removed... but you can say whatever you want.

From what I've gathered, it appears as if NSC members very much value freedom of speech. My question is, if freedom of speech is so important, is it only important for your speech to be free? It sounds to me like a double standard. Please correct me if my impressions are mistaken.
pto
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
From what I've gathered, it appears as if NSC members very much value freedom of speech. My question is, if freedom of speech is so important, is it only important for your speech to be free? It sounds to me like a double standard. Please correct me if my impressions are mistaken.

You are mistaken. More irony at its best. Our speech wasnt welcome here, and it was made clear by the moderators and board members so we went elsewhere. Search on it, you can see plenty of examples.

Quote:
On the other hand, NSC is more of a private community where some members can have accounts and (at least it appears to be the case) that others have been turned down or selectively removed... but you can say whatever you want.

This has been taken out of context. Everyone is welcome to join NSC.
We simply request our users register with their same gc.com handle, so we can verify they are cachers, and not spam bots, or people intent on crashing our site.
The accounts turned down were all confirmed message board spam bots, and a member here using an infamous alias to try and gain access, most likely to cause problems. No real user has been removed.

Coincidentally, not to long ago we had another secondary caching site that was mysteriously hacked, and attacked by spambots that took it over
not long after a thread similar to this one was started here- along with commentary about our taken over site, as well as jokes about it happening. IPs were logged, so it isnt a mystery.

Quote:
As an open community, it is (IMHO) neccessary to have some content moderation. So editting, moving and locking threads is in the best interest of the public.

I agree completely. Although, it should be applied evenly to everyone - which was my point above about off topic posts. They are tolerated for some( the moderator himself?) while others are held to much more rigid guideline. Selective moderation/enforcment.
Dances With Beehives
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some thoughts on moderation, before we hopefully move back ‘on-topic’.

First off (and totally beside the point) it is a thankless job.

Second, we try to do the right thing, but are only human and may sometimes not call the right shot. I apologize for all moderators everywhere.

When push comes to shove, well, we might end up pushing back. Sorry, but that’s the way life is.

Point is, we’re trying to maintain some kind of order in here. If it’s not applied evenly...Who said life was supposed to be fair?

One last thing about moderating...After making my first edit, I was labeled a ‘Nazi’ by one who frequents your group.

Good to hear from you guys again. Rolling Eyes
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to make accusations against members of this Forum "hacking" another Forum please at least have the common courteosy to be open and honest about the entire history. Posting what you want to make public isn't exactly fair when its only purpose is to paint unnamed individuals in a bad light; now is it?

The "other forum" you are speaking of was jaycw7's forum and I'll tell you right now that I specifically told him that 2.0.5 was vunerable and exactly how to fix it. In fact, not only did I tell him that it was vunerable but I told him exactly what would happen to him if he didn't follow the fixes on phpBB's site. Because it's not ethical to post our exact conversation here I'll just go on to say that he didn't "trust" me and now you are here insinuating that users from this Forum are the ones that did it to him. I'm telling you right now that automated scripts were available on the web and people were using them to attack vunerable sites. He was one of the unlucky ones.

Now, for someone who loves irony so much perhaps we should talk to "Peak Shift" about irony. I'm sure he would have a lot to say on some of the material that has been discussed in this thread. Right pto? Just so everyone knows, "Peak Shift" loves sock puppets.

----

Now a note for everyone else:

Please take this discussion about your dislike of the MnGCA Forum back to the Northstar Cachers forum. It was extremely pleasant for the last few months that several of you decided to take your business elsewhere.

Now that you are back I'm going to tell everyone that the current discussion is not welcome here. Take it back to where it is apparently accepted. If anyone continues this discussion in a manner other than "What is the Northstar Cachers Forum" I will lock the thread and begin my "heavy handed tactics" again. I will not let the bashing, finger pointing, and pointless crap continue as I did in the past. Too many innocent people are driven away by your tactics -- which is exactly what you are looking for.

I hope I have made myself perfectly clear.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> Geocaching Websites All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: