MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WHHHAAZZZZZ THIS??????
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> Geocaching Websites
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pto wrote:
Also- did you notice how many of those people came over from Here, to register - but then never return? Interesting # of those you mention:
actually, a majority of them are from here......
Hmmm....

I guess it would make sense though, at least numbers wise that more people would come from the MnGCA and then frequent NSC. The population base for these two groups appears to be pretty different although the MnGCA through its size alone holds more events and is large enough to support a weekly outing. It would make sense then that more people would hear of the MnGCA than the NSC through increased exposure, word of mouth, ect. NSC is a pretty young group and has primarily consisted of people who at one point used to frequent MnGCA.

I don't have any figures, but I would guess that there are few people who stumbled upon NSC first. In fact, its just as you would suggest... they come from the MnGCA. There just isn't much NSC exposure, but I think its increasing.

It really isn't a fair comparison then to suggest that some MnGCA members go to NSC, and than 0 coming from NSC who go to MnGCA.

Perhaps its my opinion, but I didn't realize that it was such a mutually exclusive thing. You are proof that lines are clearly not divided so black and white.

Earliest google reference to "Minnesota Geocaching" that brings a NSC hit is a Wiki article with a link, currently the 19th search result.
miles58
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red_Devil35 wrote:
I was just reading a few of the posts, they can be pretty nasty over there!

You might look into why some of our members want no truck with MNGCA, but before you do I think you might ought to ask your leadership if you really ought to be opening that can of worms. If you want nasty, your own leadership is plenty capable of showing you nasty.

As far as membership goes, we are selective. More than one MNGCA member has been refused. Right SB??? We do not allow people like Silent Bob to try to sleaze his way into our group under bogus names. Also, unlike MNGCA we can and do delete members, something which if MNGCA practiced would reduce the numbers here.
P3nGu1N
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, it seems that a few *glances at fidian* are in both MnGCA and post on Northstar Cachers. I'm personally going to keep posting on both forums... just for something to do after my workday is done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
HugoBear
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC0GRN wrote:
as a general rule, I've found everyone can be nasty sometimes. I haven't always made the best calls myself.

Forgive and forget, life's too short to argue symantecs.

True. I don't like arguing symantecs (or any other antivirus). Laughing just kidding.

I post on both sites and appreciate that people can have different viewpoints. Easy enough.
-Douglas Adams "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"
jambro
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miles58 wrote:
Red_Devil35 wrote:
I was just reading a few of the posts, they can be pretty nasty over there!

You might look into why some of our members want no truck with MNGCA, but before you do I think you might ought to ask your leadership if you really ought to be opening that can of worms. If you want nasty, your own leadership is plenty capable of showing you nasty.

As far as membership goes, we are selective. More than one MNGCA member has been refused. Right SB??? We do not allow people like Silent Bob to try to sleaze his way into our group under bogus names. Also, unlike MNGCA we can and do delete members, something which if MNGCA practiced would reduce the numbers here.

Miles - I've never posted anything before regarding your disputes here because, when I met you last year, I really thought you were a pretty decent guy. I figured there was more involved than I knew. However, I have seen some of your posts on the NSC site, and they are, quite frankly, reprehensible. Example:

"Personally, I think we'd be doing him a big favor to either break his fingers or poke his eyes out. That way he'd get the painful thrill and spare himself the brain damage, and a us the commentary."

You have your disagreements with the leadership here, and that is fine - I don't always agree either (look at my current tagline). But to come back here and start disparaging our membership is really unnecessary.

BTW, I thought you were the kinder, gentler website that encouraged discussion and banter. It amazes me that you would disallow members and/or delete them. Which is worse - to delete or edit posts or move them to an appropriate spot, or to not allow them at all because you don't like that person? Seems we've let you share your opinion here.

Well, I'm sure I've made another enemy here. I'm also sure there will be flames headed my way. Cache on...
Bad_CRC
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi.

I'm just a noob, so I don't know anything (or care much) about what's happened in the past.

I found out about MNCGA when they got caching back in state parks. I think that's a pretty cool thing, and I've read about how it happened. The people here seem pretty dedicated, which is also cool. I don't know any of them (other than seeing photos of silent bob in cache logs, and moe's pencils all over ) and I probably never will, but I enjoy reading about area geocaching.

I heard about NSC a while ago from someone who emailed me about it, I haven't read up there much yet, but I'm way into geocaching now, so I probably will check it out at some point just to get more of my fix.

You can probably imagine how it makes those people slinging mud look to the rest of us (not too good) If both groups are doing different things, that's great. But please don't get negative, cause that's bad for everyone. What's the point? Seems to me that both should be able to coexist in a positive manner. Who wants to see nastiness in geocaching? there's enough of that stuff other places in the world already.

just 2 cents from somebody who's a nobody here.

anyway, saw this sig image, and thought (for just a second) "woah... that thing knows a lot about me... I see how they got my IP but how did they know I made a flash video." heh.
P3nGu1N
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Violence seems to be an instinct, as far as I can tell. It will never go away as long as mankind exists. I enjoy a good fight as much as any other guy, but then again I'm on steroids (yes they're prescription by my doctor). Disputes sometimes tend to lead to violent talk or behavior especially when two males are involved.

I'm not trying to encourage violent talk or behavior, but I am willing to say that sometimes it is absolutely necessary to get your point across. If violence wasn't necessary we wouldn't be at war right now (but that's a whole different can of worms). When, where, and against whom violence is necessary are all subjective matters. Some people will say violence is never condonable - these people are naive and idealistic.

For the matter of if violent words/actions should be brought into the sport/hobby of geocaching - there already is to some extent. Muggles wreck caches here and there for no other purpose than spoiling people's fun, or thinking caching is stupid for lack of understanding it. I have even heard of geocachers being mugged while geocaching in the twin cities. Geocacher on geocacher violence has yet to be seen as far as I know. Even if there is a dispute between two cachers on a forum, that dispute usually only remains in typing and not in the sport itself.

Geocaching is always done at the cacher's own risk - entering an unknown and unfamilar area based on a posting on the internet. Will there be geocachers attacking other geocachers? All I have to say is: I carry a combat knife. Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

P3nGu1N wrote:
Violence seems to be an instinct, as far as I can tell. It will never go away as long as mankind exists. I enjoy a good fight as much as any other guy, but then again I'm on steroids (yes they're prescription by my doctor). Disputes sometimes tend to lead to violent talk or behavior especially when two males are involved.

I'm not trying to encourage violent talk or behavior, but I am willing to say that sometimes it is absolutely necessary to get your point across. If violence wasn't necessary we wouldn't be at war right now (but that's a whole different can of worms). When, where, and against whom violence is necessary are all subjective matters. Some people will say violence is never condonable - these people are naive and idealistic.

For the matter of if violent words/actions should be brought into the sport/hobby of geocaching - there already is to some extent. Muggles wreck caches here and there for no other purpose than spoiling people's fun, or thinking caching is stupid for lack of understanding it. I have even heard of geocachers being mugged while geocaching in the twin cities. Geocacher on geocacher violence has yet to be seen as far as I know. Even if there is a dispute between two cachers on a forum, that dispute usually only remains in typing and not in the sport itself.

Geocaching is always done at the cacher's own risk - entering an unknown and unfamilar area based on a posting on the internet. Will there be geocachers attacking other geocachers? All I have to say is: I carry a combat knife. Twisted Evil

Shocked
miles58
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jambro wrote:

"Personally, I think we'd be doing him a big favor to either break his fingers or poke his eyes out. That way he'd get the painful thrill and spare himself the brain damage, and a us the commentary."

You have your disagreements with the leadership here, and that is fine - I don't always agree either (look at my current tagline). But to come back here and start disparaging our membership is really unnecessary.

BTW, I thought you were the kinder, gentler website that encouraged discussion and banter. It amazes me that you would disallow members and/or delete them. Which is worse - to delete or edit posts or move them to an appropriate spot, or to not allow them at all because you don't like that person? Seems we've let you share your opinion here.

Well, I'm sure I've made another enemy here. I'm also sure there will be flames headed my way. Cache on...

It might be a good idea to understand the context before you leap to conclusions. The person I referred to was a person I cache with often and the comment had nothing to do with anyone here nor was it offered or taken in any sort of disparaging manner. George and I go back and forth much worse than that in the forums on NSC. Frankly, seizing on that as some kind of justification for anything is pretty telling as to where your head is inclined to go at first leap.

That you would be amazed that we'd reject someone we knew to be an obvious sock puppet is something I'd like to see come out of your mouth in person. I don't think you could manage it with a straight face. I disparaged no one. Sock puppets are sleazy.
sui generis
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A sockpuppet (sometimes known also as a mule, glove puppet, alternate account, or joke account) is an additional account of an existing member of an Internet community to invent a separate user.

Your allegation that he tried to create a sock puppet account would imply he has a regular account with your organization. If he does not have an account with your organization, then once again you are making claims based upon a distorted view of the facts and your perceptions are once again unreliable at best.
I am amazed by how many people harp on the need to speak and write English in this country while exhibiting a fundamental lack of skills in the areas of spelling and sentence composition. Would this be irony, hypocrisy, or both?
jambro
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

miles58 wrote:
jambro wrote:

It might be a good idea to understand the context before you leap to conclusions. The person I referred to was a person I cache with often and the comment had nothing to do with anyone here nor was it offered or taken in any sort of disparaging manner. George and I go back and forth much worse than that in the forums on NSC. Frankly, seizing on that as some kind of justification for anything is pretty telling as to where your head is inclined to go at first leap.

That you would be amazed that we'd reject someone we knew to be an obvious sock puppet is something I'd like to see come out of your mouth in person. I don't think you could manage it with a straight face. I disparaged no one. Sock puppets are sleazy.

Miles, after rereading the thread entitled "Nazi Election" again, the context is pretty obvious, you might want to reread it. You can try to spin it however you want, but you and I both know who was being referred to. Don't get me wrong; it's your forum, you guys run it how you like, that's the beauty of free speech, isn't it? My whole point was that there are many ways to approach a disagreement you might have with the leadership or membership of an organization. I was surprised the route you took when you walked away (and said you wouldn't post again, if I remember correctly, but I digress), and I'm still very surprised that you would come back and post more disparaging remarks when new members here are asking questions and getting polite answers.
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad_CRC wrote:
anyway, saw this sig image, and thought (for just a second) "woah... that thing knows a lot about me... I see how they got my IP but how did they know I made a flash video." heh.

You should see my shirt. All your flash are belong to me!
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucidOndine wrote:
You should see my shirt. All your flash are belong to me!

Ahhh, so that's why you are so flashy!
jambro
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that the word for Lucid, flashy? Hmmmmm.....I always had other words in mind. heh!
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jambro wrote:
Is that the word for Lucid, flashy? Hmmmmm.....I always had other words in mind. heh!

Well, telling him that's he's a nerd just isn't nice now is it? Razz
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> Geocaching Websites All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: