MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UMORE Park/ Gopher Munitions Plant
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://hometown.aol.com/daveww2/falltacticalbattlepage6.html

Starts today at 6:00 pm !!
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so let me get this straight....

They can play war in the area and we can't have a geocache there???
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitch wrote:
so let me get this straight....

They can play war in the area and we can't have a geocache there???

You are correct, sir !

The difference, as I understand it, is $500.00 and an insurance policy.

I wonder how many c-ration kits (found by C.A.G.) and brass shells (found by me) will be left this time? I'm thinking about taking a tour Monday morning, dressed in camo, camera in hand. Of course I'll have a few CITO containers in my G.I. issue fanny pack.

Quote:
Hey, I was hiding, and didn't know the war was over.
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoot if I didn't have to work Monday I'd go.. Could probably dig up some army style clothing even.
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder If I could walk around in the way?? Just walk around yelling MUGGLE....they would think I was nuts!
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should just let this die ...

http://hometown.aol.com/daveww2/STACKOGRAD.html

http://502airborne.com/Tactical/

Quote:
This year the event at the Rosemount Munitions plant is going to be awesome. Last year we had multiple re-enacting unit's there ranging from Allied paratroopers and Infantryman to British and German units. Total re-enactors numbered nearly 100. There were some great battles and the scenarios were perfectly planned.

The battle fee for this year's event will be $15 dollars. This covers Land Usage Fees, Additional Required Insurance, Porta Johns and additional event costs.

Nobody would ever give me money info. According to the above link. it looks like $1500.00 covers it.

Quote:
FRIDAY, :

12:00 Gate Opens for Registration and Set up.
24:00 Gate Closes.

SATURDAY, :

06:00 Gate/Registration Opens.
08:00 Commanders Meetings.
08:30 Safety & Authenticy Formations/Inspections.
09:00 Begin Deployment.
12:00 Tactical Lunch.
20:00 All Scenarios end.

SUNDAY, :

10:00 .

OTHER STUFF:

+ All Camp sites are First Come First Served -- plenty of space and plenty of sites.
NO CAMP FIRES... as per Land Owners request. We can use burn barrels, Barbacues or those portable backyard fire places though -- so go figure?

So it looks like they get land use from noon Friday to Sunday morning. Close to 100 people (many kids) attended the Halloween Hoopla. It was free. If there is a fee how many will come? What if 15 people would each pay $100.00 for the weekend? or whatever ...

I know it's private property, owned by the U of M. I know the reenactors have a previous relationship. I don't know why I'm letting this [INAPPROPRIATE RANTING REMOVED BY SOFTWARE]
bother me. arrgggghh
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I guess I can pull on my WWII para duds, get my M1 Granand out of the closet and maybe go find some ammo cans at the "U". Of course the only thing I'll probably find in them is AMMO. But I'll bet I can get FTF Laughing
Surfer Joe
Minnesota Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone point me to something OFFICIAL that says caches are not allowed in UMORE Park. I didn't see anything on their web site.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surfer Joe wrote:
Can someone point me to something OFFICIAL that says caches are not allowed in UMORE Park. I didn't see anything on their web site.

I will see if I still have the emails. I was going to place a cache there last spring, on the horse and skiing trails. They do not have a published policy. I emailed and chatted in person with a gentleman that has/had authority over the grounds and it was made clear to me that caching would not be allowed. I had the brochures and all of the typical sales talk and didn't work. His point was that the land IS contaminated and that he didn't want anyone wandering off of the trails (not to even mention the fun urban exploration areas). It was made clear to me that being on the property anywhere, other than designated trails was considered trespassing and would be enforced.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The land is *very* contaminated: http://www.co.dakota.mn.us/environ/pdf/GOW%20Preliminary%20Assessment.pdf

While I have been there several times to take photos, I don't recommend that anyone visit the property w/o sticking to the trails.

And you are correct, there are no trespassing signs everywhere and signs that say that the areas are patrolled by three different police agencies.

Last edited by Marsha and Silent Bob on Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Surfer Joe
Minnesota Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
I will see if I still have the emails. I was going to place a cache there last spring, on the horse and skiing trails. They do not have a published policy. I emailed and chatted in person with a gentleman that has/had authority over the grounds and it was made clear to me that caching would not be allowed.

Thanks. I would appreciate it if you would forward any emails you have to me.

Quote:
His point was that the land IS contaminated and that he didn't want anyone wandering off of the trails (not to even mention the fun urban exploration areas). It was made clear to me that being on the property anywhere, other than designated trails was considered trespassing and would be enforced.

If that is the case, I'm surprised that this isn't mentioned on their website and the area isn't posted as such. (I don't know from experience but was told it isn't posted).

Thanks for your help.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surfer Joe wrote:
bflentje wrote:
I will see if I still have the emails. I was going to place a cache there last spring, on the horse and skiing trails. They do not have a published policy. I emailed and chatted in person with a gentleman that has/had authority over the grounds and it was made clear to me that caching would not be allowed.

Thanks. I would appreciate it if you would forward any emails you have to me.

Quote:
His point was that the land IS contaminated and that he didn't want anyone wandering off of the trails (not to even mention the fun urban exploration areas). It was made clear to me that being on the property anywhere, other than designated trails was considered trespassing and would be enforced.

If that is the case, I'm surprised that this isn't mentioned on their website and the area isn't posted as such. (I don't know from experience but was told it isn't posted).

Thanks for your help.

Couldn't find any emails here at home. I'll check on my work PC. I may also be able to locate the name of the gentleman I spoke with.
Paklid
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the University of Minnesota Stadium deal that involved this parcel of land get passed by the legislature last spring? That was to transfer (sell) 3/8's of the total acreage (3000 acres) from Umore Park from the UofM to the state. The state was going to have the DNR manage the property. I don't know if the deal went through, or where the 3000 acre parcel is located though.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paklid wrote:
Did the University of Minnesota Stadium deal that involved this parcel of land get passed by the legislature last spring? That was to transfer (sell) 3/8's of the total acreage (3000 acres) from Umore Park from the UofM to the state. The state was going to have the DNR manage the property. I don't know if the deal went through, or where the 3000 acre parcel is located though.

I thought that was for access to the Vermillion river. I noticed that there are now WMA signs (and a parking area) off of what I believe is Vermillion River Trail in Farmington but I could be mistaken on the road name.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.startribune.com/512/story/329419.html

Quote:
Saturday: U offers to swap land for stadium
A new plan calls for the U to swap some Rosemount land for more state financing support.

Mary Jane Smetanka and Conrad Defiebre, Star Tribune

A new proposal to fund an on-campus football stadium at the University of Minnesota would swap 2,840 acres of U-owned land near Rosemount for a bigger state contribution for a stadium.
The plan, unveiled Friday evening, is for the state to pay $9.4 million a year for 25 years to finance bonds for a stadium. In return, the state would own the land after 25 years and create a nature preserve. The land in the Vermillion River watershed contains a trout stream, forests, rolling hills and trails for horseback riders.

"This legislation is a win-win for the university and the entire state," U President Robert Bruininks said.

"It will result in some of the most beautiful, undeveloped land in the region being protected for generations to come, and it will provide the financing we need to bring Gopher football back to campus," the president's statement continued.

The university's Board of Regents will meet Monday to consider the plan. Committee hearings on the proposal are set for Tuesday in the Minnesota Senate and Wednesday in the House.

State Rep. Dennis McNamara, R-Hastings, said he and Rep. Dennis Ozment, R-Rosemount, approached university officials about the idea after it was suggested to him about 10 days ago by a leader of the hunting advocacy group Pheasants Forever.

"This is a once-in-forever opportunity for the state of Minnesota," said McNamara, who grew up near the land. "It's some of the most prime, diverse, beautiful land in Minnesota, a real outdoor environment a half-hour from the downtown areas."

A park-like parcel

The university has owned 7,700 acres of land near Rosemount since it was donated by the federal government in 1947. Called UMore Park, it includes the site of a former munitions factory as well as farm fields, research buildings and the park-like land that would go to the state. The university has been studying what to do with the land, which once was isolated but now is bordered by fast-developing suburbs. In some areas it is worth upwards of $35,000 an acre.

A previous stadium proposal had the state paying $7.4 million annually in debt service for 25 years, putting 60 percent of the stadium's $249 million cost on the university. Under the new plan, the additional $2 million that the state would pay each year essentially splits the cost of an open-air, 50,000-seat stadium equally between the state and the school, said Richard Pfutzenreuter, the university's chief financial officer.

It also would allow the university to trim in half its proposed $100-a-year student fee for the stadium. The fee has recently become a focus of legislative criticism of the project.

Gov. Tim Pawlenty, legislative leaders, the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) and the Metropolitan Council were involved in negotiations over the project, McNamara said. Other legislators were informed of it at 4:30 p.m. Friday via an e-mail signed by Rep. Ron Abrams, R-Minnetonka; House Deputy Minority Leader Margaret Anderson Kelliher, DFL-Minneapolis; Senate President James Metzen, DFL-South St. Paul, and Sen. Geoff Michel, R-Edina.

"The bipartisan leadership for this proposal is very encouraging," said a news release from Pawlenty. "I urge legislators to support this win-win for the state and the university."

Michel is a sponsor of stadium legislation that has been stalled since last year. "We get more than a stadium now," he said. "This is a good first down. We're getting closer to the end zone."

While university officials valued the land at $15,000 an acre, or a total of $42 million, McNamara said its real worth could be more than $100 million.

Under the proposal, the DNR would manage the land for public access over the 25-year payment period while the university retained ownership, McNamara said. Once the payments were complete, he said, the state would take title. The U would retain the right to conduct research on the land in perpetuity.

Sen. Larry Pogemiller, DFL-Minneapolis, has called for elimination of a naming-rights deal with TCF Financial Corp. that would contribute $35 million to the project. Pogemiller could not be reached for comment Friday. The new proposal does not affect the U's agreement with TCF.

If a stadium law passes, the university immediately would start road work in preparation for stadium construction. Officials want the stadium to open in fall 2009.

Mary Jane Smetanka 612-673-7380 Conrad deFiebre 651-222-1673

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Park Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: