MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

February Cache of the Month

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> Cache of the Month
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What is your choice for the MnGCA Geocache of the Month?
Clayton, Jackson & McGhie by tomslusher
28%
 28%  [ 4 ]
Wild Times by towlebooth
21%
 21%  [ 3 ]
Jidana 3 by rickrich
50%
 50%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 14

towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 5:23 pm    Post subject: February Cache of the Month Reply with quote

It's time to vote! In this post you will find the caches which have been nominated to be the MnGCA February Cache of the Month.

Voting ends on Janurary 31st. Rules for nominations here. Thanks to nomination submitters!

----------------------------------------------------------------
Nomination articles: (in the order they were nominated)
----------------------------------------------------------------

1)
Clayton, Jackson & McGhie by tomslusher (submitted by Jillibean)

"An event has happened, upon which it is difficult to speak and impossible to remain silent."

This virtual cache leads to a very moving memorial, remembering 3 young black men (Elmer Jackson, Elias Clayton, and Isaac McGhie) who were killed in Duluth in the 1920's. They were falsely accused of raping a white girl and then lynched by the Duluth townspeople. They were dragged from their jail cells, beaten, and hanged from a lightpost.

I would recommend that anyone who is caching in Duluth visit this cache and memorial, located across the street from where they were hanged. There are sculptures of the 3 men as well as a description of the event and touching quotes that help us comprehend the event, by people such as Martin Luther King Jr., Gandhi, Elie Wiesel, and others.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2)
Wild Times by towlebooth (submitted by R.J.)

The geocache, Wild Times by towlebooth (GCF8F4), is certainly worthy of being nominated for cache of the month. History and character abound at this cache location.
In order for a geocache to survive longer than a few hours in this awesome location, it would have to be a micro, which this one is.
The best part of this cache hunt was the area that it is located in. Also, the uniqueness of the actual park and the official entrance into it all make for a memorable experience. I didn't have any Wild memorabilia to trade so I just signed the log and took in the history of the place (what is this a cache log entry or something?!).
Anyone seeking out a 'wild time' should try this cache. Thanks towlebooth!!!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3)
Jidana 3 by rickrich (submitted by Wicket's Wandering Pony Patrol)
Hidden in a housing area is a swamp with a woodsey park along the edge. Included is a open park area with a wonderful view, fishing dock and picnic area. It appears that archery practise might be allowed here as well. You find an item at the coordinates that match the clue given and it so obviously statnds alone that you look at it from every which way, you may even wriggle fingers in small places, but that log paper you're looking for will not be easy to write on until you find it. Now remember that your GPS can be off by 30ft so maybe this is only a starting point for you serch. There are other things within area that could fit the clue. It has been discribed as cuning and devious and I'm sure a few other choice words have been spoken here.

Last edited by towlebooth on Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:56 am; edited 3 times in total
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep missing the dates for submission. Is it always open? Where are they listed at

arrive...raise heck...leave (SCSA)
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kingboreas wrote:
I keep missing the dates for submission. Is it always open? Where are they listed at

They are always open. Just send them to me via email or pm. If I get them before the 15th of the month they will be used for that month, after that and I will hold them for the next period.

I will be building a better system for this in the near future.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> Cache of the Month All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: