MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Route Caches Using Google Earth
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WoodsWoman
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Route Caches Using Google Earth Reply with quote

Question: I have done my routes on Google Earth for an upcoming trip and have unzipped them. However, when I go to upload them in Google Earth, nothing happens. Any ideas about what I am doing wrong. I have pocket queries for some of the routes, but . . .
Thanks.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it giving you any errors when you try to upload it? I haven't yet used their caches along a route function but perhaps others can help if they have some more clues as to what's going wrong for you.

Quote:
Using Google Earth to create a route:

The Google Earth desktop application makes it easy to export and save a .KML file of your route. Below you'll find some steps to creating your own.

1. Download, install, and run Google Earth
2. Click on the Directions tab in the upper left-hand corner of the page
3. Enter your start and end locations and click the button to generate your directions
4. Scroll to the top of the directions list until you see the start/end location
5. Right click and choose "Save As..."
6. Save to your harddrive as type *.kml (not *.kmz, which is the default). Be sure to give the file a descriptive name like "Seattle To Portland", so you can easily find it later

That's it! Now upload your route to Geocaching.com:

1. Revisit this page and choose the tab "Upload GPX / KML"
2. Click Browse and find the file you saved from Google Earth, then click Upload
3. Click Preview to double-check your saved route in the map to the right
4. If you are satisfied with the results, check the box next to the name of your route and click the "Save Selected Routes" button.
5. Here you can click on the Route Name to add more information and keywords, make it publicly available (recommended), and create a Pocket Query from your route

Pez Tonto
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried it the other day and it worked for me. I was quite impressed with the ease of creating a route with Google Earth and creating a PocketQuery based on the route. The whole process is *considerably* simpler and less tedious than the old process I used with MS S&T and GSAK. I was very impressed.

That said, The GC.com dialogs for uploading were a little confusing. Make sure you select (check box) the route(s) and click Save as described in step 4 above. I missed that the first time I tried and ended up with nothing uploaded to GC.com.
WoodsWoman
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what I am doing wrong because I cannot get it to work. I have followed all of the steps in the correct order. Perhaps I'll try again tomorrow. Thanks.
ScubaAl
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Won't work for me either. I can't even get the preview feature to work. To bad, would of been nice to have for my trip along the north shore this past weekend.
Al
Pez Tonto
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what you guys are doing wrong. It works great for me following the directions the SB posted or as found on the GC.com site.

Note that there are quite a few "public" routes posted, so perhaps you can find one that meets your needs. For example,
-- go to http://www.geocaching.com/my/userroutes.aspx
-- click the Search by Keyword tab,
-- enter North Shore in the Keyword Search field
-- click Find Routes,
You should see a Duluth to Thunder Bay route that I created with Google Earth and uploaded as a public route. You can use it to create a PocketQuery by following the Create Pocket Query link.
IBcrashen
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Route Caches Using Google Earth Reply with quote

WoodsWoman wrote:
Question: I have done my routes on Google Earth for an upcoming trip and have unzipped them. However, when I go to upload them in Google Earth, nothing happens. Any ideas about what I am doing wrong. I have pocket queries for some of the routes, but . . .
Thanks.

Where are you getting the zip file from?
when you do the caches along a route nothing is zipped until you upload the saved file from google earth to GC and then save the route and then create a pocket quiry and then its sent as a zip file to you. All you have to do is unzip and drag and drop the loc or gpx file into the google earth window. If you click the Create GPX of Route or KML of Route button all you will get is a zip file of the route, not any caches along the route on the route information page.
WoodsWoman
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I created my own route. When I saved it as .kml, it was zipped. Then I unzipped it and it wouldn't upload to Google Earth. My plan then was to load the PQ caches to that route. Most of the routes that are on the GC site are just very short segments and were not where I wanted to go, so that's why I created my own longer route first. I posted the question on the GC site also and it appears there might be a slight glitch in the directions.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WoodsWoman wrote:
I posted the question on the GC site also and it appears there might be a slight glitch in the directions.

If they update the directions (or anyone posts how to do it correctly) could you please post it here too? That would be awesome Smile
darus67
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WoodsWoman wrote:
I created my own route. When I saved it as .kml, it was zipped.

Are you sure you're saving as .kml and not .kmz?
.kmz is the zipped version.
.kml is the raw (or unzipped) version
I believe you have to upload routes as .kml
WoodsWoman
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I did save them as .kml, just as it said in the instructions. Try setting up a route for yourself--just from one town/city to another. Then follow the GC directions and see if you can upload it. Perhaps there is something else that I am doing incorrectly. Thanks.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

works for me.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WoodsWoman wrote:
I created my own route. When I saved it as .kml, it was zipped. Then I unzipped it and it wouldn't upload to Google Earth. My plan then was to load the PQ caches to that route. Most of the routes that are on the GC site are just very short segments and were not where I wanted to go, so that's why I created my own longer route first. I posted the question on the GC site also and it appears there might be a slight glitch in the directions.

What do you mean "When I saved it as .kml, it was zipped"? So it got saved as .kml.zip or .kmz or .zip? What was the name of the file that got saved? Don't unzip anything.
ScubaAl
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pez Tonto wrote:
I don't know what you guys are doing wrong. It works great for me following the directions the SB posted or as found on the GC.com site.

Note that there are quite a few "public" routes posted, so perhaps you can find one that meets your needs. For example,
-- go to http://www.geocaching.com/my/userroutes.aspx
-- click the Search by Keyword tab,
-- enter North Shore in the Keyword Search field
-- click Find Routes,
You should see a Duluth to Thunder Bay route that I created with Google Earth and uploaded as a public route. You can use it to create a PocketQuery by following the Create Pocket Query link.

Pez Tonto, Thanks did as you suggested and work find. Still can't get the program to work on my own.
When I laid out my route it was saved as a KMZ file in Google Earth. That is the file I try uploading, but when I try to preview, it doesn't work.
At least using Pez Tonto's route I have what I need. Thanks, Al
darus67
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I just did to create and upload a route from Google Earth:

Launch Google Earth

Click on the "Directions" tab

Enter start and destination cities.
In my test I used Duluth, MN and Grand Portage, MN

Once the route is displayed, find the blue and white swirly Google Earth logo and route description at the very top of the turn-by-turn list, on the left side of the screen.

Right click on this description. A menu should pop up.
Select "Save As" from this menu. Make sure you set the file type to .kml
Give a filename and save the file.

Now go to the "Caches along a route" web page at geocaching.com and upload the file you just saved.

I made my route public. Search on the keyword "duluth" and it should show up in the list.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: