MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The President's Cacheside Chat (June 2006)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> President's Cacheside Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: The President's Cacheside Chat (June 2006) Reply with quote

Well, I didn’t get around to posting one of these for May but it was a busy month for me both in the personal life world and the geocaching world. As most of you know, I don’t do much caching in the summers and this year is no different. Yet, I am somehow swamped with stuff to do that’s geocaching related!

Short version for those of you that have a short attention span or never saw the Wendy’s “Where’s the Beef” commercials: MnGCA Cannonball Run (6/10!), MnGCA Breakfast Buddies (St. Paul and Grand Rapids so far with Rochester planned way out in September but not yet posted), Bloomington Magazine article turned out nice as well as the Stillwater Gazette article that both came out in the last seven days. We are working with Anoka County’s Parks and Rec intern on her “geocaching feasibility study”.

Old Business:

Quote:
1. We were contacted by one of the editors and writers for Bloomington Magazine who was interested in doing an article on geocaching for their June or August edition. We’ll keep you all updated as to when this will come out and where you can get your copies, if your interested, as soon as we know.

The article appears in this month’s Bloomington Magazine article. It features a Paklid-based photo spread and a nice overview of geocaching in general. Some quotes from myself, Paklid, and Three Rivers Park District staff. I will have a copy on hand at the MnGCA Cannonball Run if anyone is interested in taking a peek.

Quote:
2. The first order of MnGCA Window Clings has been placed. Thanks go out to GeoPierce for designing and ordering the clings and also to Pear Head for accepting the prepay and sending in the money to the company. We’re planning on having another order, perhaps in the fall, for those of you that might be interested. We’ll let you know when the pre-orders will open again.

The MnGCA Window Clings came in and look absolutely great! A big thanks to both Pear Head and GeoPierce for taking on the orders, money, and the eventual shipment back out to everyone. We will probably be doing another order in the future for those of you that want one and missed out the first time. We’ll keep you posted on that.

Quote:
3. Recently, the Breakfast Buddies have been attracting some huge numbers! The last two locations had around 50 attendees! We’re excited to see these events continue to grow in popularity. The next event will be held in Fargo, ND and everyone is encouraged to attend.

The Fargo Breakfast Buddies was a big success with a bunch of new faces from all over ND, MN, and Canada. The turn out was great (about 45 people) and if it weren’t for all the rain it would have been a perfect caching weekend Smile

We are looking at Breakfast Buddies Events coming up in St. Paul (where Centris started it all), Grand Rapids, and in September, Rochester. I need to get in gear and get the August Breakfast planned but I have been too busy w/the MnGCA Cannonball Wilderness Run to get that done yet. I’ll have that done soon after the event is over Smile

New Business:

Arrow We are having the first non-election vote for the MnGCA that I know of at the MnGCA Cannonball Wilderness Run. If you are a registered MnGCA Member as of 12/10/05 you are eligible to vote. If you’re already an MnGCA Member and you would like more information on the vote please read up on it here: http://www.mngca.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2324

Absentee ballots have already been mailed and received for the vote. If you cannot attend the event in person, you may not vote this time around.

Please note that you must be an MnGCA Member in order to read the forum linked above and to vote in the election at the event. Non-members are more than welcome to sit in on the meeting though.

Arrow We have begun talks with Anoka County’s intern who is doing a “geocaching feasibility study” for the county. We’ve provided her with links to other state policies as well as studies done on the national level for the USFS. We’ve given her information and data that we have compiled and presented to numerous other parks districts that shows total number of cachers, total number of caches (statewide and metrowide), as well as average frequency of visits/month.

We look forward to the final outcome of Anoka County’s study, something that should come to the public view in August or September.

Arrow We have had several inquiries from the media about articles they were doing about geocaching. Woodbury, the Stillwater Gazette, and Bloomington Magazine have all had articles come out recently about geocaching in Minnesota (in a favorable light) and have all been very well written.

The article from the Woodbury paper included quotes from an interview done with our very own Sir_Zman at the Woodbury Breakfast Buddies.

The Bloomington Magazine article included quotes from Three Rivers Park District staff, Paklid, and myself. A full feature photo spread featuring Paklid was included in the two page article.

The Stillwater Gazette article included quotes from Washington County park officials, myself, and other visitors to Washington County Parks. I had tried to get someone from Stillwater or Washington County to talk w/the reporter but no one was available on such short notice Sad A follow-up article might be coming out in the future so look for that!

Arrow Don’t forget that elections are coming up soon and that in order to be eligible to vote you must sign up as an MnGCA Member by 7 days following the Spring Event (or six months, whichever is less). Depending on the date of the Fall Event, that will likely be June 17th, 2006.

Nominations take place on the MnGCA Forum in a separate area and everyone will be notified via the MnGCA Members’ Only topic areas when the time draws closer.

If you have any questions about how to become an MnGCA Member or you want to know if you currently are, please click here: http://www.mngca.org/register.php to register or http://www.mngca.org/cacher.php when you are logged in to check your current registration status.

Registration and voting are free and it does affect how your organization is run in the future so please do get involved!

Arrow GeoPierce has been working on the website design and has shown the MnGCA Board (and various others) some of his ideas. We anticipate an unveiling of that this Fall, so keep your eyes peeled for that!

Arrow We are looking for someone to take over Cache of the Month nominations and postings for Pear Head. If you are at all interested in continuing this monthly (mostly) feature forward, please contact the MnGCA Board here: http://www.mngca.org/board-contact.php

That’s all I can think of for now. If I forgot anything, and I’m sure I did, I’ll post it in July’s Cacheside Chat!

Happy cachin’,

Silent Bob
MnGCA President
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The President's Cacheside Chat (June 2006) Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
Arrow We are looking for someone to take over Cache of the Month nominations and postings for Pear Head. If you are at all interested in continuing this monthly (mostly) feature forward, please contact the MnGCA Board here: http://www.mngca.org/board-contact.php

Sorry - I should have mentioned this earlier - I have a volunteer. Little does she know what she's getting into. Smile
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update Pear Head Smile
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: The President's Cacheside Chat (June 2006) Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
Arrow We are having the first non-election vote for the MnGCA that I know of at the MnGCA Cannonball Wilderness Run. If you are a registered MnGCA Member as of 12/10/05 you are eligible to vote. If you’re already an MnGCA Member and you would like more information on the vote please read up on it here: http://www.mngca.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2324

I should clarify (and not write so much on my lunch break!) that you must be over 18, a resident of Minnesota, and an MnGCA Member (with a valid state issued ID) in order to vote.

Sorry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> President's Cacheside Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: