MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Geocaching 101 cache

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 11:31 pm    Post subject: Geocaching 101 cache Reply with quote

At the last event I called a mini meeting (before everyone got "sauced") and we discussed the possibility of a couple of MnGCA owned caches called something along the lines of "Geocaching 101". (or?????)

** These are still in the talking stages.... nothing planned in stone yet, give input!

It would be designed to be a family friendly first cache for newbies or those who just received GPS, etc. They would be centrally located and have very specific information on the actual cache page instructions. It would be one that a newbie could be successful at, but still be fun to look for.

it would include such information as.... (written friendly - not preachy!)
*Trading instructions -- trade like for like
*Logging -- make a note in both the paper log and on the cache page online.
*Travel bugs -- If you take one you have to make an additional log online.... should place it in another cache in a relatively short time... etc
*Putting the cache back and re-hiding it correctly

Of course there would be an invitation to join the ultra wonderful MnGCA Very Happy
If the 101 caches worked out, we could add some micro caches as the next step, 102.

I realize that most people go after the caches that are closest to them for their first cache, but this basic beginner type of cache could be very useful even if somebody just read the page through.
I also realize this information is available as a FAQ on gc.com, but it could be missed.

The caches would be owned by the MnGCA, but local members would watch over them and keep them maintained. They won't be peppered all over the metro, but strategically placed, central.... then a *few* outer suburbs (outside the circle)....also a *few* outstate possible locations -- Mankato, St Cloud, Duluth, etc

Now we need locations and donated goodies....
JoelCam has suggested first one to be in Roseville Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea--Also, if we could come to a consensus, we can appoint already existing caches as Geocaching 101 caches--there are already quite a few great 1/1 and 1/2 caches in the area placed by MnGCA members, and it would be a simple matter for the cache owner to add the GC101 info to the cache page.
DJTRACKERS
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 11:52 pm    Post subject: 101 Reply with quote

I have some ammo boxes if one is needed for this project. We also cleaned up a lot of stuff from the kids that could be put in the container.
This would have been helpful when I started. I started on some of KBs caches in Blaine and did a lot of head scratching and re-reading pages looking for insight. Things have gotten a lot better now that I have learned what to look for.
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that this is a great idea. I know that the first cache I placed out is a 1/1 because I wanted to make it a friendly cache for my son to hide.

Some of us are old time GPSers before we found this game. Others are so new that they are borrowing GPSs from friends before they decide they want to make the investment.

I would love to start a clinic for general GPS use, using the Geocaching Waypoints, how to place a cache etc.

The Geo 101 caches would be a great addition to this thought. If we really wanted to pick up on the we would try to find individual from around the state that would place caches in their local areas.

I can see it now a great summer clinic in the woods or park nearest you.
SirPoonga
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The final lesson of the "class" should be "If something looks out of place, like a twig jammed into a knot whole a or a piece of bark leaning against something or a shiny "bolt" on an old item"

Most of finding these is looking around for what is out of place. Like the one microcache I found with a friend. Our GPSes started out putting us 60 feet away. I went to where my gps said 0ft. I looked around, WAY too many places to hide a microcache, especially in new snow. Then my GPS change and pointed me onto the other side of the walk path. As I am walking that way I see one very thick tree and a bunch of 2" trees. Hmm, if the cache is on that side of the path where could it be Wink

This one might be a spoiler, at least a very good hint if you haven't done it. Do not read the rest of this paragraph if you don't want to know my experience Smile Since I don't have too many caches under my belt it won;t take long to figure out which one I am talking about.
My favorite is the shiny "bolt" on an old item. Coords tool my right to this item in the middle of an open area. So obviously this item had something to do with the cache (I won't give it away). My two friends and I look hard at it then one of them goes, "Hey, that bolt is MUCH newer than the rest of the (object)". What do ya know, that's the cache!
My second fav is someone used one of those stones you can get on geocaching.com to hide a cache. Well, it did not match the stones in the surroundings. There is a big difference between small wash rock and a chunk of granite. Even thought his cache was rated a 4 in difficulty it was found rather quickly using common sense. I hope a kid doesn't pick that up and play with it where it is located.

There are many golden rules of geocaching. But I'd say in the top 3 would be
1) Wear the right clothes, have the right supplies. Boots are a good idea. Charged batteries are a good idea, Pencil is a good idea, In winter waterproof gloves is a good idea along with dressing warm.
2) Use common sense when searching. If something is out of place or not natural that is most likely where the cache is. Good example is a jammed twig or wedged bark near a fallen tree.
3) Bring a buddy for safety. Especially in winter. Never know if someone is going to slip down a waterway next to a dam in winter! That was a slippery cache!

Now if you can make caches that empasis that, then someone will learn something Smile

I could see this has two multicaches.

First "lesson"would cover the basics. Average sized containers empasising those key points I mentioned. You don't really have ot make new locations. You can but you can ask someone if you can have their cache a stop on a multicache for the lesson.

Most of the caches I found are good examples. They are all located around the intersection of 394/494 (where I live) which makes a it a good location for the west side of the cities.

The second "lesson" would be the diversity of the caches. This would show a virtual cache, a microcache, unique aparatis(sp) to hide/retrieve the cache, and a very well camoflauge cache - one that looks like it naturally belongs there (my favs).

And "advance" lesson would just point out some of hte multicaches that require you to fill in the blanks.

Actually, maybe this would be better as a tutorial on the mncga website. Use current caches as examples. Make a tutorial out of the existing caches. Unfortunately that does take some of the fun out of some of them because the "lesson" you are on is a hint too, but not much of a hint. When get into hiding caches my hints will be hints, not blatent give-aways. BTW, reminds me of a thread I wanted to start.

Which reminds me, I should start a tread on if people would like to help out with this next idea.
One of the unique caches I was planning was a choose your own adventure type cache. You get a start location, There will be two clues, each resulting in a different location to find. each of those will have two clues going to two different lcoations, and so forth untul you get to your own end posisition. Choose a clue and go with it. Kinda like those "choose your own adventure" books I read as a kid. The other one I was thinking is a multicache with many locations. A location would also have two clues, you can follow one. Each location will either be a line of this 6 line poem I know or a dead end. Piece the poem together in the right order you get credit Smile Either idea would take alot of scouting of places or borrowing existing places too.

Could take one of these ideas, make it into a multicache that teaches the lessons Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: