MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New log type: "Discovered it"?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drat19 wrote:
Well, clearly Jeremy is responding, via a new web site feature, to the fact that so many people are now playing the "how many icons can I get?" game.

I've been to events where folks bring one of those coin-collector binders, and they pass it around so everyone can log the numbers and get new icons on their profiles. Whoopity doo.

So we now have both Micro Spew and also Icon Spew. Once again, y'all who have cranked your stats and icons since mid '04 know nothing about how the game USED to be played. Sigh.

Why can't everybody play this game the RIGHT WAY(tm)? As determined by drat19? Wink
drat19
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:
drat19 wrote:
Well, clearly Jeremy is responding, via a new web site feature, to the fact that so many people are now playing the "how many icons can I get?" game.

I've been to events where folks bring one of those coin-collector binders, and they pass it around so everyone can log the numbers and get new icons on their profiles. Whoopity doo.

So we now have both Micro Spew and also Icon Spew. Once again, y'all who have cranked your stats and icons since mid '04 know nothing about how the game USED to be played. Sigh.

Why can't everybody play this game the RIGHT WAY(tm)? As determined by drat19? Wink

I've been asking myself that question all along! Laughing Razz

I've often told my wife (usually in the throes of yet another difference of opinion): "If the rest of the world thought just like me, it would be a far better place!" Cool (You can imagine how far THAT gets me!)

Last edited by drat19 on Tue May 02, 2006 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:

He'd ban beer because he doesn't like it Shocked
celticwulf
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
pfalstad wrote:

Shocked NNNNOOOOOO!!!!!! Shocked

Celticwulf
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drat19 wrote:
pfalstad wrote:
drat19 wrote:

I've been asking myself that question all along! Laughing Razz

I've often told my wife (usually in the throes of yet another difference of opinion): "If the rest of the world thought just like me, it would be a far better place!" Cool (You can imagine how far THAT gets me!)

Yes I can. DRAT vs DRAT now that would be a converstion to observe.
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

celticwulf wrote:
pfalstad wrote:

Shocked NNNNOOOOOO!!!!!! Shocked

Celticwulf

Yeeeeeeessssssssss!!!!!!!! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, in 2004 (IIRC) Groundspeak was tired of this and eliminated it thus eliminating (sometimes) 100s of bug logs from people's stats. I believe Centris (1st cacher to 1000 bugs) went from 1008 to like 650.

How scary is it that you know this??? Wink
yup yup yup -- the original Tbug "controversy" was all about me (grin) tsk tsk tsk....

.... Please note that Chris and both I retired from manic bug grabbing before the GC ruling came down. Lots of people went back and retroactively grabbed and dropped all the bugs they lost, but I didn't see any sense in that. What a mess that was!! By the time the eliminated note credit, Tbugs had lost their appeal for me. (and yes, you did need a tbug number to write a "note".... I did actually see every Tbug I logged)

(the ghost of "geocaching past" suddenly appears Shocked)

Actually there were three of us here in the twin cites who were rabid TBug collectors back in the good ol' days (grin). My obsession started because somehow Chris and I got into a quiet competition and it became all about skunking each other (you FTFers understand the adrenalin rush that comes from being able to CRUSH a fellow geocacher)... Laughing
It didn't start out to be about the stats in the beginning... it was ALL about the skunk. After Jim got into the mix, and was skunking both of us regularly, we really had some crazy adventures trying to beat him Cool

Back then, finding 3 or 4 fresh Tbugs a week was a pretty big deal since they were a rare item, few people had released them and caches were further apart (back then KB only had 100 or so caches... unbelievable, I know). Plus, Tbugs were more interesting and unique - people put more thought into their goals and tried to make them fun to find. Not so many identical McToys with no goal listed.

It was the chase that made it fun for me.... even if I left the Tbug there for Chris or Jim, I always left a note in the cache that I was there first ... heheheheh. We had a good time and all three of us are still friends.

For months and months, waldenrun, bthomas and feathers were the only ones worldwide who were even close to mine and Chris's stats.... chasing bugs was fun back then, but nowdays Tbugs are so common and mass trading is so common that the excitement of the "chase and skunk" is over. I still log a few Tbugs and always love to log people's personal coins, but I rarely pick anything up unless I am headed out of town.

I think the only current bunch of "rabid bug grabbers" that are having some REAL fun are the ones who travel all the time and are all about moving bugs for mileage...
... but the big books people tote around full of excel files with bug numbers , that's just too obsessive. Too much work.

The new way to log bugs for credit is a GOOD thing, it's a long time coming and will probably calm down the server quite a bit.... IMHO they should have never changed the "note for credit" in the first place, it was working fine as it was.

Last edited by Centris on Fri May 05, 2006 9:49 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
drat19
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centris wrote:
(the ghost of "geocaching past" suddenly appears Shocked)

Sigh, I'm there with ya, Centris. Back when folks actually had to WORK and DRIVE MORE THAN A FEW MILES for caches and TBs.
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drat19 wrote:
Back when folks actually had to WORK and DRIVE MORE THAN A FEW MILES for caches and TBs.

In fact, I think you and I drove "more than a few miles" in the wee hours of the night once upon a time Wink
I think we got a whopping 9 travel bugs that trip --- oooohhhhhh
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
drat19
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centris wrote:
drat19 wrote:
Back when folks actually had to WORK and DRIVE MORE THAN A FEW MILES for caches and TBs.

In fact, I think you and I drove "more than a few miles" in the wee hours of the night once upon a time Wink
I think we got a whopping 9 travel bugs that trip --- oooohhhhhh

Yeah, that was classic. And then KB got all frust because you had the temerity to share TBs with someone who (gasp!) was actually going to carry them out of state before EVERYONE here had a chance to log 'em! Razz
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You long-time cachers amuse me. Razz

I like biking/hiking a mile or two, stopping and searching. Ah well, I see where you're coming from though.
drat19
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucidOndine wrote:
You long-time cachers amuse me. Razz

I like biking/hiking a mile or two, stopping and searching. Ah well, I see where you're coming from though.

That's not quite the point I've been making. It's more about cache saturation. Thanks to saturation and Micro Spew (TM), newer cachers are now accustomed to having a selection of caches available to them within short driving distance, and enough of them within said distance to always have something to go for, close by. "Back in the day", it was possible for a determined cacher to "clear out an area", and then if he/she wanted to find more caches, he/she would have to (gasp!) DRIVE FURTHER! Now, in an urban setting, we hear folks b*tch when they have to drive more than around 5 miles.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centris wrote:

Well, in 2004 (IIRC) Groundspeak was tired of this and eliminated it thus eliminating (sometimes) 100s of bug logs from people's stats. I believe Centris (1st cacher to 1000 bugs) went from 1008 to like 650.

How scary is it that you know this??? Wink

Moe says I'm an Idiot Savant when it comes to remembering stuff about geocaching.
celticwulf
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drat19 wrote:
Now, in an urban setting, we hear folks b*tch when they have to drive more than around 5 miles.

hmmm...

I can't remember any complaining about caches being too far away from everyone's home...maybe some general complaints about the WeekNIGHT events, but not really "complaints" about cache's around in general...

now the all famed "micro spew" complaints...those I think I've heard of...they've now been relegated to the "back in my day" and "uphill...BOTH WAYS" stories in my mind Laughing

Celticwulf
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drat19 wrote:
"Back in the day", it was possible for a determined cacher to "clear out an area", and then if he/she wanted to find more caches, he/she would have to (gasp!) DRIVE FURTHER! Now, in an urban setting, we hear folks b*tch when they have to drive more than around 5 miles.

Well that's true, it sure is a drag to listen to somebody b*tch.. Smile But if you want to drive further, drive further. Why is it bad to have more caches? I don't want to spend my spare time in the car wasting gas.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Travel Bugs All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: