MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Purchasing GPSr online

View previous topic :: View next topic  
celticwulf
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject: Purchasing GPSr online Reply with quote

Has anyone had any luck with purchasing new GPSr's online? I'm looking to upgrade my little blue Legend and I've been scoping out prices online because they are SO much cheaper than standard stores...however I don't want to pick one up from a retailer that is fishy. Been doing the online research on a few of the companies that have good prices on CNet, but just wanted to check with everyone here to see if you've got good/bad/other experiences with online retailers for GPSr equipment.

Thanks!
Celticwulf
fsu*noles
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought both my GPSr's on Ebay: my first one that I left in the back of a taxi cab last year (!!), and the new one I'm using now. In both cases, I made sure the seller was an authorized Garmin reseller with at least a 200+ rating, and that they said they would give me a paper receipt - in the case of my new one, because Garmin was running a huge rebate on certain models, and I wanted to take advantage of that - and also to be eligible for repair services if I needed it in the future. Both GPSr's came new and shrink-wrapped in the box.

In both cases, I saved $75-$100 over the closest "real" online stores, and couldn't be happier! Ebay is luck-of-the-draw though, so ymmv. Good luck!

-Ken
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought two of my GPSs on Amazon (they are usually *much* cheaper than anyone else around and they aren't shady). I bought one used from Moe.

In addition I sold my Vista on Ebay and the customer seemed pleased with it.
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've purchased both of my units as well as Mapsource maps from Dave's Marine. They offered the lowest price I could find at the time and I was happy with the service.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've purchased my last GPSr as well as a fair amount of other stuff using Froogle and picking a dealer that appeared reputable. Granted this is a tough call, but I've been lucky so far in that I haven't had any problems what so ever.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Purchasing GPSr online Reply with quote

I got my latest GPS on amazon. I've never had problems with amazon that I can remember, and I've used them to buy many expensive items.
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last one I purchased was from GPSstore. I didn't have any issues with them shipping it other than it was ordered before they actually had them in stock. Had to wait for about a month but I did get an email each week from them giving me an update on the status of the order. Of course my CC wasn't billed until the unit was shipped.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Purchasing GPSr online Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:
I got my latest GPS on amazon. I've never had problems with amazon that I can remember, and I've used them to buy many expensive items.

We received most of our wedding gifts from them and all was well there. I had ordered a present for my wife for Christmas and it got lost. They didn't even argue about resending another one Next Day Air free of charge.
jambro
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought mine through a link off of Cnet and had a great experience. I do not remember the exact retailer, but I got a good price and great service. And it's a Magellan, so it Rules!

Very Happy

Note: I was just looking at Cnet, and I think it was Comp-U-Plus that I bought it from, but I'm not 100% sure. Good luck!

Last edited by jambro on Thu May 04, 2006 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jambro wrote:
I bought mine through a link off of Cnet and had a great experience. I do not remember the exact retailer, but I got a good price and great service. And it's a Magellan, so it Rules!

Very Happy

Did they deliver it to your house or the house 30 feet away?
jambro
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeoPierce wrote:
jambro wrote:

Very Happy

Oh, man....that hurts!
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jambro wrote:
GeoPierce wrote:
jambro wrote:

Very Happy

Oh, man....that hurts!

Sorry, you know we only do it because you insist your magellan rules. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Buy / Sell / Trade All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: