MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why not have an event about going paperless?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fireman121
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Why not have an event about going paperless? Reply with quote

I have notice on the forums on GC.com. That several caching association in the U.S. have had classes or events on the use on lap tops PDAs and the software like, GSAK and CacheMate and other titles like that, All these events includes basic stuff like pocket quarries the use filters tips and secrets of some of the software that it being used today in caching, Has anyone ever thought about having such an event in Minnesota? With all the hype about going paperless out there this might be a great time for this.

I have had GSAK for over four months and I am still learning stuff about it ever day.
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just upgrading my membership to the Preimum membership, and got the eval copy of GSAK...so far I haven't been impressed...this is due to my not understanding how to use the features of it correctly, not the program it's self (I'm sure), so I'd be interested in attending an event like this if someone throws one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving to Events
accordiongal
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was another topic I had thought about posting on the forum website. Yea, I have thought about traveling to Wisconsin to attend one the events they have. Yes, It is needed in Minnesota. Yes, GSAK and Cachemate are very frustrating to me to learn. When and Where? Need a place with internet access. How about someone who is really techno savy to have such an event in a park with hot spots. I wouldn't mind my place, have great internet access. But know nothing about how useable it would be for unknown amount of people. That is the first issue. The muggles would be another. Lets brainstorm additional places, dates, times.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the outdoors store in the cities (I believe Midwest Mountaineering - someone correct me if I'm wrong) supports MnGCA already. Getting meeting space there may be fairly easy to do.

I'd be willing to do some of the leg work to get a presentation together - a PowerPoint presentation for example - but it's unlikely I would be able to attend a Twin Cities event in the near future.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup MWM will give us meeting space. I don't believe that they have Internet access. From my research for Board meetings, finding a location that you can hold a meeting w/Internet access that is quiet and fits a good number of people is cost prohibitive.

Of course, if someone could donate the space and the connection, that would rock.

The MnGCA is going to continue to be busy w/the Spring Event and the upcoming Breakfast Buddies all over the place, so a "tech event" is not a likely happening for us. Feel free to host one yourselves and we'll be happy to post it on the main page -- all you have to do is ask.
jambro
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
Feel free to host one yourselves and we'll be happy to post it on the main page -- all you have to do is ask.

I can attest to this, as I was given complete support from the MnGCA when I inquired about hosting the Poker Run. If someone is interested in doing this, by all means, go for it!
accordiongal
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning. THis is accordiongal. I called Golden Corral in Rochester. THey have a meeting room for upto 60 people. THey use internet access from one of the local hotels. Manager states he has seen customers with laptops. Would have to check if it really worked.
Who would be available to be the teacher? Certainly not me becasue I have a very basic undestanding of GSAK and haven't gotten cachemate to downlowad to iPAQ.
I don't mind arranging the event either in Rochester or TC.
sui generis
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use the paperless methods and so would not be able to teach this. Does the space have to have an internet connection for a class like this, or could the demonstrations be done from local files on the computer?
I am amazed by how many people harp on the need to speak and write English in this country while exhibiting a fundamental lack of skills in the areas of spelling and sentence composition. Would this be irony, hypocrisy, or both?
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sui generis wrote:
I don't use the paperless methods and so would not be able to teach this. Does the space have to have an internet connection for a class like this, or could the demonstrations be done from local files on the computer?

I would think that the necessary files could be distributed on a CD at the event. I'd attend if there was an event for this in the twin cities.
fireman121
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure some of the examples could be done with a laptop with the proper cache software loaded. Myself I would not be able to teach this class due to I am trying to figure this stuff out for myself.

I would be willing to help or co-host at this event.
GeoFishing4Caches
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We would also possibly be interested in attending... depending on when it was held. We haven't gotten our PDA yet, but soon want to go paperless as well.
accordiongal
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to the Farge event this weekend. One of the questions I am going to ask is who has the knowledge about GSAK and cachemate information, and who could be tapped on the shoulder to help educate the rest.
There are two people that I am thinking of, don't know of others who maybe willing to assist.
jrest
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just talked with Randy at the new Gander Mountain that opened in Blaine. They have a flyer in today's paper indicating the Gander Lodge is a state of the art meeting facility, and FREE for use by clubs and organizations in the local area. Randy 763-783-7200 suggested giving them a call after the grand opening (after Monday next week) to discuss scheduling an event. He belives they are wired for internet connection, as well as audion and visual equipment. Our brief discussion sounded like we (MnGCA) would be able to schedule the room. The store is at 10650 Baltimore Street NE (off Hwy 65 {Central}) in Blaine.

This might work for a meeting place for what you are discussing?
accordiongal
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrest, are you willing then to take the lead and organize, determine date, etc? Sounds like the place MnGCA needs to learn about paperless caching.

Would there be enough interest to have a similiar event in Rochester. Found a few places that would work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: