MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bikeathon! 5:00 PM Monday 17th
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oneied Cooky
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for dissappearing on you guys tonight, But I had to stop and suck wind for about 5 mins! Figgered the truck was still 3.5 miles away I better head for it. My body was telling me ENOUGH! By the time I got back. Great time! No pain no gain! Cool ..... Now if we can get a tricycle and a little pointy hat....
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oneied Cooky wrote:
Sorry for dissappearing on you guys tonight, But I had to stop and suck wind for about 5 mins! Figgered the truck was still 3.5 miles away I better head for it. My body was telling me ENOUGH! By the time I got back. Great time! No pain no gain! Cool ..... Now if we can get a tricycle and a little pointy hat....

We figured you were OK when we didn't find your corpse lying on the path on the way back. I almost turned back myself. But I'm glad I didn't; I had a great time!! Thanks everyone!
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah! What a fun time. If you haven't gotten these caches, do so! The bike ride was a lot of fun despite CW complaining about his sore bum.

All cachers accounted for: CelticWulf, GeoPierce, LucidOndine, Pfalstad, Onied Cooky, & RickRich.

Thanks for coming out! I had a great time!!! Very Happy
celticwulf
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucidOndine wrote:
Hah! What a fun time. If you haven't gotten these caches, do so! The bike ride was a lot of fun despite CW complaining about his sore bum.

All cachers accounted for: CelticWulf, GeoPierce, LucidOndine, Pfalstad, Onied Cooky, & RickRich.

Thanks for coming out! I had a great time!!! Very Happy

Was a great time last night, and even though I wasn't in shape enough not to feel it, right now I can't tell if my legs/bum is really sore or if my seasonal allgergies are kicking my butt too much to notice...thanks to all who wandered along and made it a fun time!

Celticwulf
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation I agree! It was a blast! My rear is a little sore too but I'm surprised I'm not sore all over considering I haven't rode my bike in at least 5 years. A great series of caches and a great group of people to find them with. That's what caching is all about! Very Happy I also highly recommend doing them all at once. We started at Bikeathon - Mill and worked our way to Bikeathon - Tunnel. Then someone suggested riding the 3+ miles out to Bikeathon II: St. Albans Bay (Lucid and I made it there well ahead of the rest Very Happy) and finding the rest of Bikeathon II on the way back. We had to DNF Bikeathon II: Lake Minnetonka after searching for quite awhile and even calling Gilby for a hint. By then it was almost dark so we found the rest of the Bikeathon II series in the dark. Thanks for the great series of caches, rickrich!
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Caching Pics Reply with quote

Here are a few selected pictures from my cell phone of the Bikeathon trip and the general vicinity of the caches as per request.

http://www5.spread-it.com/dl.php?id=20bafea0c70c96733995c0b1b74fef85dc645c76

Enjoy!
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Caching Pics Reply with quote

LucidOndine wrote:
Here are a few selected pictures from my cell phone of the Bikeathon trip and the general vicinity of the caches as per request.

Enjoy!

This is the slowest 5MB download ever!
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Caching Pics Reply with quote

GeoPierce wrote:
LucidOndine wrote:

Enjoy!

Come to think of it, the upload was slow, too.

On the upside, it was free!
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Caching Pics Reply with quote

LucidOndine wrote:
GeoPierce wrote:
LucidOndine wrote:

Enjoy!

Come to think of it, the upload was slow, too.

On the upside, it was free!

Great pictures though! Laughing
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=e1c6d1c4-90db-4e40-ac10-6cd8e2c5ca60
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahhahah... yea, I love that picture. Glad it turned out!
Toby Tyler
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoy reading your tales of the bike trip from Monday. Let me get this straight, this Bike-a-thon series in on a actual bike trail correct? Is it a rails to trails type thing, or just a trail system put together by a city or county. Just wondering beause last weekend I went for a bike ride and then drove to the cities to cache. I was thinking I could kill two birds in a sense... Thanks!
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toby Tyler wrote:
I enjoy reading your tales of the bike trip from Monday. Let me get this straight, this Bike-a-thon series in on a actual bike trail correct? Is it a rails to trails type thing, or just a trail system put together by a city or county. Just wondering beause last weekend I went for a bike ride and then drove to the cities to cache. I was thinking I could kill two birds in a sense... Thanks!

Yes, it is a great walking and bike trail that has two series of caches. I think it is a Three Rivers Park District trail. The Bikeathon series starts at Bikeathon - Mill and ends at Bikeathon - Tunnel. The Bikeathon II series starts at Bikeathon II: Meadowwoods Golf Course? and ends at Bikeathon II: St. Albans Bay. Using Google Earth, I estimated that we went 15 miles round trip and found 24 caches (1 DNF!) in a little over 4 hours!
pto
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently found a very cool mapping resource for calculating distances of trails, hikes, etc-
http://www.usatf.org/routes/map/

For an idea of what you can produce, see this link:
http://www.usatf.org/routes/view.asp?rID=1889
Its an example of going around Medicine Lake.

You can calculate distances, loops, out and back etc-
Read the directions, and give it a whirl!

You can also save your workings, and add it to thier database......
It'd be cool to see the bikeathon route covered. . . .
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pto wrote:
I recently found a very cool mapping resource for calculating distances of trails, hikes, etc-
http://www.usatf.org/routes/map/
It'd be cool to see the bikeathon route covered. . . .

I created a route for the Bikeathon and Bikeathon II caches. I think it's pretty accurate considering the waypoints for each cache are not on the map so I tried to follow the trail using the hybrid view in Google maps and my own memory of the trail.

http://www.usatf.org/routes/view.asp?rID=18751
pto
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Cool! Thanks for whipping that up!

*Cool mapper to?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: