MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How important is having a 2nd GPSr.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
spamhead
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: How important is having a 2nd GPSr. Reply with quote

When you head out in the woods, do you take more that one GPSr with you in case it should melt down or the unit just can't get good reception?

I have a Merigold, which despite the ridicule of certain Garminites, has been a very servicable and durable unit. I have seriously thought about getting either a Legend C , Cx or Lowrance H20 C Plus as a second unit.

I have even entertained the thought, that it this new unit outperforms my trusty Merigold in the field, I would use the Merigold exclusively for the auto-routing capabilities and use it to get my to the parking area, and then whip out the trusty "field unit" to zero in on the cache. This would prevent me from having to purchase the additional waypoint/map cd and make a big step up in technology with the color screen and sirfIII technology.

Am I insane?

spamhead
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say that it sounds a little more on the 'overboard' side than I do. I own a couple of GPS units with displays (and a couple headless ones). I only use one however. If I dug really hard I might be able to find my "backup" unit, but it would take some digging. It doesn't go on the hunt with me - in fact it doesn't go in the vehicle with me, even on long trips.

Keeping TWO units up to date seems like a lot of work - I can't keep one up to date with waypoints!
spamhead
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your right. Maybe I am just looking for a reason to buy another GPSr.

I do go in the woods with my son, who is seven , and it may be nice to have both of us zeroing in on the cache.

I initially started looking at a yellow eTrex, but then thought I might use the opportunity to upgrade my unit to one with a color screen and a better sirfIII antenna.

I get intechsicated, to plagerize Unlimate Electronics.

spamhead
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spamhead wrote:
I do go in the woods with my son, who is seven , and it may be nice to have both of us zeroing in on the cache.

Now THAT would be something I could see myself doing. It's not as much fun to hunt for a cache if you don't have a GPS in your hand.
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a reason to buy another GPSr. I just need to have enough money that I can afford to buy one and I will. Laughing
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard of people using a Tom Tom unit in their car for the autorouting and then using their handheld unit in the field.

Supposedly these people think it was the right choice. I suck at caching either way so it doesn't matter much for me Wink
TECGeoJim
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do use 2 GPSr's. One of them pretty much lives in the car. It has the streets type map loaded in it along with the waypoints. I does do autorouting but I don't like the way the aurorouting works so I don't use it for that. The second GPSr goes into the woods with me. I has topo type maps loaded along with the waypoints. I keep them both loaded with matching waypoints by using GC pocket queries and the Map Source software or the GSAK depending on whether I am staying around home or going on a trip.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: