MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

rickrich's maps, stats, and software
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WicketsWanderingPonyPatro wrote:
Virtual Beers to be sent as soon as I figure out a plan of how to.

http://www.virtualbeer.com/vb/send/index.shtml
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran into a cache the other day that required waypoint projection with a precision of .01 miles/degrees, and neither of the Garmin GPSrs we had with us could calculate to that precision. I ended up figuring it out on my laptop.

I made a mental note to seek out a geodetics calculator, and post a link to it on my website for other people who might need to perform such calculations.

I found a very nice one at http://www.gazza.co.nz/geodetics.html

But out of the box that one would only output in DMS format, and we usually use MinDec format. So I hacked it up to add selectable output formats and sent my patches to the author. He hasn't bothered to update his version, so I made my version available here:

http://mngca.rkkda.com/geodetics.html

When inputting coords in MinDec format, just leave the "seconds" field set to zero and type a decimal value in the minutes field and an integer value in the degrees field. Likewise, if you want to input coords in DegDec format, just leave the minutes and seconds fields set to zero and type a decimal value in the degrees field. The help button will also tell you how to input coords. Its a little clunky to do it that way, but the changes to get rid of the three input fields and allow for free format entry of any of the input formats into a single field wil take more work.

Make sure the Output Format is set to MinDec and the Spheroid is set to WGS 1984.

To project a waypoint, fill in the Lat/Lon in the second section of the form. Fill in the distance and the true bearing in the third section of the form. Then click "Calc Point 2". The answer will appear on the left side of the fourth section of the form.

This calculator is single HTML with Javascript web page, so you can lift it and stash it on a local webserver (say, on your laptop) without having to hassle with a lot of other files.

-Rick
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickrich wrote:
I ran into a cache the other day that required waypoint projection with a precision of .01 miles/degrees, and neither of the Garmin GPSrs we had with us could calculate to that precision. I ended up figuring it out on my laptop.

Awesome rickrich! Thanks for putting this out there.

Most of the "mid-range" GPSr's seem to handle waypoint-projection just fine. I have a Vista and while it only goes to a full degree it will go to the 100th of a mile on the distance. I am usually within the normal error range when doing waypoint projection. I know that Good-Boy's high-end Magellan color has degrees to the 100th along with distance.

It seems as long as you can get distances down to the 100th of a mile you are good to go Smile

Silent Bob
RJ
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My gpsr only projects to whole degrees and tenths of a mile. When doing some of these projection caches, I just project to 8.3 miles if it calls for 8.34 miles and then go to the spot. I then walk ~200 feet further. It works most of the time.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rick

I don't know when it was added, but Rick's website now has a WAP Portal.

I have a t-mobile cellphone, and during the Winter Carnival I discovered t-zones/web browsing, expecting to be able to get the latest clues. It's probably possible, but I never figured it out, and cancelled my unlimited browsing.

This morning I poked around on the WAP Portal a bit, then while I was "working" I tried connecting to my Share The Land cache, through Rick's site. I like it !

I don't know how much I'll use it, but it's great to know it's available. So, it's not a laptop, and it's not a hiptop. I'll call it my wristtop.

Apparently I can use the phone to log a cache. I'll try that later.
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:
Thanks Rick

I don't know when it was added, but Rick's website now has a WAP Portal.

I can't take credit for the WAP portal. I just link to it from my page because I was forever forgetting its URL.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Geocaching Websites All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: