MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How many bugs hotels, motels, pitstops, port, etc....????
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitch wrote:
All the fun...heck its just two of us going to a bar once a week.

LOL Smile At least we have a REAL event for everyone to join us for once Wink

Silent Bob
JT
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 12:14 pm    Post subject: Too many Hotels, Pit Stops, Etc... Reply with quote

Kitch wrote:
I'm not saying they are all bad...but if you have too many it kinda defeats the purpose (right)?

In that case why even have one?

Well, as an owner of one of the largest Ammo Boxes here in town, now the West Metro TB Inn, let me go on record by saying this. I was introduced to this sport at the end of July last year. When I first started, I knew nothing about "Hitchhikers" or "Travel Bugs", but as time went on, I started to come across these neat little things. All of these items have there own little story to tell. After a while, I guess you could say I got bit by the "Bug", and now have been going out of my way to hunt down and track bugs. I created the West Metro TB Inn with the idea that A) it was about a mile from my work. B) It was a close park and grab, close to the 494 freeway. C) I didn't think we had anything like this on the far west side. I had been to Centris's Bug Bank, and like the idea she had going, so I adopted it. Recently I took a trip down south to TN/NC. Before I left I grabbed a large amount of TB's that were in my Hotel, as well as some other ones that I had noticed circulating around the Metro area. I moved the bugs closer towards there goal, or at least in the direction of there goal. During my trip, I hit a Bug Hotel in Chicago and one in Indiana. These were great as they were close to the freeway, and since I was on a tight schedule, I could stop and swap quickly. While traveling, I try to look and see what bugs are close and try to swap some. Why do I do this, well as an owner of close to 15 (soon to be 20) bugs, I like to make sure other bugs have the same experience I would like mine to have. Keep moving towards there goal. This also introduces new bugs to the area. Now that I have a whole bag of new TB's, I will be dropping them around the Twin Cities. Defiantly not all in Hotels and Bug Stops, as this introduces them all into the endless loop of Hotel stops. As an owner, I guess I donít really mind if my bugs go to a hotel and spend a short time there. It is when they stay there for a lengthy period of time that I get upset, I just want to see them keep moving.

Just my 2 cents.
-JT
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of bug motels. But what I don't like are cachers who clean out a motel of all of its' bugs. IMO it's ok to take 2 or 3. Leave some for the next cacher. I understand if you have a big trip coming up and will be doing some caching that you might want to take a half dozen or so with you. But to empty a motel just to move them around town is sort of self defeating. Just MO.
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JT -- we were just commenting on the recent bunch of bug hotels that have arrived.
Here is what the metro has to offer currently (all within or close to the metro circle)....

5/29/2002 The Trading Post in Minneapolis (currently disabled, originally a regular cache in Anoka - was re-made into a Bug Hotel 3/20/2003 and was hidden off of Highway 62 for a brief time, always intended to re-place it in a south/mid metro spot)

4/6/2003 Mall of America in Bloomington (not an *official* Bug Hotel, but this cache attracts more out of town geo-cachers and their Travel Bugs than any other cache in the state)

4/22/2003 Reservoir Woods Bug Hotel in Roseville (originally named MSP Bugport - right across from the Airport, but was plundered, moved to Reservoir Woods 6/10/2003)

6/6/2003 Yo Yo Yo Bug Motel in Mendota Heights (turned into a Bug Motel 9/19/2003, recently changed back into a regular cache)

9/22/2003 TB Bank and Co-op in Arden Hills (members only)

10/15/2003 Rice Creek Trail in Arden Hills (recently changed back into a regular cache)

10/20/2003 Pet Sematary in Roseville (serves a special purpose for Tbugs - not *really* a hotel)

12/2/2003 TB Gathering at Oakwood in Oakwood?/Plymouth

12/5/2003 West Metro TB Inn in Plymouth

1/4/2004 MSP BugPort in Mendota Heights

1/8/2004 Bug Stop at Nine Mile Creek in Bloomington

What am I missing???

Last edited by Centris on Sun Jan 11, 2004 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i change yo yo yo back to a normal...due to the high number...and that it was about a mile away from one that came into the area in the last few weeks...
head05
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Too many Hotels, Pit Stops, Etc... Reply with quote

Quote:
[quote="KC0QEG"]
Kitch wrote:
I'm not saying they are all bad...but if you have too many it kinda defeats the purpose (right)?

In that case why even have one?

Quote:
I was introduced to this sport at the end of July last year. When I first started, I knew nothing about "Hitchhikers" or "Travel Bugs", but as time went on, I started to come across these neat little things. All of these items have there own little story to tell. After a while, I guess you could say I got bit by the "Bug", and now have been going out of my way to hunt down and track bugs.

I would have to agree with the fact that there may be too many "Bug Hotels" in a radius. If there could be some sort of etiquette when creating this kind of cache i.e. how close is it to the nearest of this type.

I also feel as KC0QEG does about TBs. I love to find them and create them. I didn't intend the TB Gathering At Oakwood to be a "Bug Hotel" I created this one to give my respects to the TB!! Just a little rest stop if you have one that needs to be placed or needs to get on it's way.

TFTSport!! -Pog Man Wink
pogopod
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:13 pm    Post subject: Bug Hotels Reply with quote

Like everything else about this endeavor, I think it is a matter of taste. I find the bug hotels to be very handy from time to time. The ones in town are great if you are short on time and want to get a few back in circulation. The ones that I discover on the road are better. I took a bunch of bugs to Madison and Chicago this week and ran out of time to hunt for new caches. I did have time to stop at an easy to get to bug hotel after dark. The result is the bugs are closer to goal, and that is what it is all about. Too many hotels? Like anything else, the market or the muggles will weed out some of them.
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

another one popping up....just a little way south of msp port
JT
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:16 am    Post subject: Here we go again..... Reply with quote

Kitch wrote:
another one popping up....just a little way south of msp port

Quick... someone send them the link to this thread! Shocked

-JT
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Travel Bugs All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: