MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS Software for PDA (Windows Mobile Pocket PC)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grey Wolf and Wild Rice
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: GPS Software for PDA (Windows Mobile Pocket PC) Reply with quote

Does anyone have any experience with any GPS software for a HP iPAQ?

Brands? Availability? How it works? Costs? Freeware? Coordinates in DD MM.mmm format?

I have all the hardware for the PDA (Pharos 360), but only MS Streets and Trips at the present time. Preferabally, I would like to locate software that would work like a GPS does, with a GoTo arrow and distance, plus all the usual information a GPS provides. MS Streets kind of does this, but with far less information than a GPS provides. It just seems to me that there must be software out there that would do this.
TECGeoJim
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had been using GPXSonar on my iPAQ Pocket PC and am now using it on my Verizon XV6700 PDAPhone. That software displays cache information and allows me to take notes about finds. It does NOT work like a GPSr, though. I did look at NAVman for my iPAQ but it didn't seem to allow entering waypoint information for geocaching.
Pez Tonto
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any personal experience with it, but from what I've heard / read (I've bene thinking baout buying an IPAQ myself) BeeLine might be what you're looking for. See
http://www.visualgps.net/BeeLineGPS/
Grey Wolf and Wild Rice
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beeline software looks promising. I downloaded the evaluation copy.

Thanks for the link.

But.....do not buy the Pharos to iPAQ cable to connect the GPS module to your PDA. It needs an external power source (AC adapter plugged in somewhere) to power the GPS module, thus eliminating the portability factor. Yes, I know an additional battery pack would do the trick. This option was only $30, so I tried it first.

Looks like the $100 Bluetooth dock is going to be the ticket.
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeLorme makes what I think you're looking for--You can link to the webpage here--http://www.delorme.com/bluelogger/default.asp to find out more.
Grey Wolf and Wild Rice
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

15Tango wrote:
DeLorme makes what I think you're looking for--You can link to the webpage here--http://www.delorme.com/bluelogger/default.asp to find out more.

Thanks.

I already have the Pharos GPS module with a USB plug for use with a laptop.

I had looked at the Delorme setup earlier, but setteled on the MS Streets and Trips to aquire the GPS receiver, since my main usage is with a laptop in the car. I also needed a newer version of S&T, so the GPS version was the easy choice. BTW...Laptop does power the GPS module on it's own.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: