MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Loading waypoints using GSAK

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fireman121
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Loading waypoints using GSAK Reply with quote

I just bought a used Garmin Etrex Vista and I canít seem to send waypoints to it. I am using CacheMate software but it keeps giving me an error message that says.

Error sending waypoints: GPS packet read Timed out Garmin Cant init COM4

I have tried every serial port that the cable will fit into with no luck. I have also made sure that the Garmin is selected as the GPS in the setup menu. Any ideals?
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using GSAK or Cachemate? Your subject says GSAK but the body of your message says Cachemate....
fireman121
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iam sorry about that, I am using GSAK.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing by your message that you aren't sure what numbers are assigned to the COM ports on your PC (ie. COM1, COM4, etc).

COM4 is an unusual port assignment for a built-in port. It's certainly possible, but usually you will see COM4 on a modem or external port (such as a port on a USB<=>RS232 convertor). I'm assuming from your message that you are using a built-in port on the PC (correct me if I'm wrong).

Do you have other ports avaliable to you in GSAK (under GPS/Setup), or just COM4?
celticwulf
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
I'm guessing by your message that you aren't sure what numbers are assigned to the COM ports on your PC (ie. COM1, COM4, etc).

COM4 is an unusual port assignment for a built-in port. It's certainly possible, but usually you will see COM4 on a modem or external port (such as a port on a USB<=>RS232 convertor). I'm assuming from your message that you are using a built-in port on the PC (correct me if I'm wrong).

Do you have other ports avaliable to you in GSAK (under GPS/Setup), or just COM4?

Pear Head's comment made me look at my GSAK settings to see what the default was that worked with my Garmin Legend, and mine is set to COM1 not COM4. One other thing I remember seeing from other postings (I think on GC.com) was that some model Garmin's need to be on the "mark waypoint" screen for the points to transfer, but not certain on that one. If it still doesn't work I can try to search over on the other forums for ideas, but hopefully this gets you a bit of help Smile

Celticwulf
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You also need to make sure that your GPSr is set to Garmin Data and not NEMA or some other data type.
fireman121
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note of thanks to those who responded to this thread, I had the wrong comm. port selected.
I got the waypoint to load. Again thank you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: