MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Onboard navigation system?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: Onboard navigation system? Reply with quote

Just got a new Odyssey. Their nav system was an option but I think I would rather have one of my own choice than the one Honda provides (easier to upgrade). I get around fine with just my little handheld, but I was pretty impressed with the navigation system demo and I think it might be fun to have one.... (just not a factory installed unit)

Anyway, my question is... does anyone use one of the dashboard navigation systems like the streetpilot or the roadmate??? What kind of features do you like or dislike?? What features really work well for you?

(** not intended to become a Garmin vs Maggie debate Rolling Eyes) but Costco has the Roadmate 760 on sale for less than $500... price for the same unit on the Maggie website is $839. Nice deal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
RINO SHAWN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centris, check this out......I've heard that dollar for dollar....it's pretty nice.

Shawn

http://www.lowrance.com/iway/iWAY350C.htm
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I had the budget for such a fancy piece of equipment.

Sadly I think if I ever go about such a thing, it'll be some kind of homebrew PC installed in a car, which I've pondered anyway for a variety of reasons. Only issue I have is making whatever rig I come up with as portable and non-intrusive as one of the autonavs.
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah --- that Lowrance is nice, and within budget, my uncle uses lowrance GPS and likes it alot..... but I don't need the MP3 capabilities on this one. (the van already has an iPod dock - yes I am a nerd)
Too many choices Shocked..... I'm going shopping some more this weekend.

I just need something that will say "turn here" and then when I MISS the turn, it won't mock me (grin) for being lost. Wink

Maybe I'll just do like Jim and velcro my handheld to the dashboard.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centris wrote:

The holster that drat19 uses in his car (sandbags to give it weight IIRC) is less money, easily removeable, and inexpensive. Plus it looks better than velcro.

Maybe you want to check that out instead Wink
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remember that most of the in-dash systems along with the standard GPS for in-vehicle navigation systems do not have the ability to up load waypoints and autoroute to those waypoints. They are build around a street address system.

If you are looking for situational awareness then these systems or a laptop type system running MS Streets and Trips or other software are adequate. If you are looking to up load your waypoints for the day and start autorouting to each then you have missed the boat.

Stick with a hand held GPS that you can autoroute and you can remove from the vehicle.
Grey Wolf and Wild Rice
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
Centris wrote:

The holster that drat19 uses in his car (sandbags to give it weight IIRC) is less money, easily removeable, and inexpensive. Plus it looks better than velcro.

Maybe you want to check that out instead Wink

I have one of those suction cup notepad things they sell at Staples for less than $5. Removed the paper and springclip. Mounted my Magellan power cradle on it with screws, and it stays connected to the window for weeks just fine.

Another cacher I know who has a CS60, just screwed a belt clip to it to connect the GPS and added a small glued on eraser below it to keep the unit even and stable. (he's an engineer)
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally random note on the suction cup type things... technically those are illegal in the state of Minnesota. Odd, but true... if you go to Garmin's webpage and look under accesories the suction cup style holders for GPS units come with a disclaimer that they are illegal to use in MN and somehwere else... complete with a link to the XGR's website that has the law. Nothing like the folks in St. Paul protecting us from ourselves some more.

Having said all that I'm not going to stop using my suction cup style Garmin GPS holder, but if you want to follow the law you now know.... and knowings half the battle.
Grey Wolf and Wild Rice
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNMizzou wrote:
Totally random note on the suction cup type things... technically those are illegal in the state of Minnesota.

Add to the list of things illigal, but commonly seen in windshields: Handicap permits (says right on it to remove before driving), hanging parking permits, fuzzy dice, beads, sunglasses, fast food bags...the list goes on. Even the velcroed/sandbagged GPS on dashboard might draw the attention of an officer if it obstructs the driver's view.
fidian
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sice I drive an old car, and also because I follow my GPS frequently, I decided to get another belt clip and super glue it to my console between my center vents. It's the same belt clip that you would get for cell phones - the nubby that shipped with my Garmin 60 fits very nicely and locks in. I'm thinking about gluing a rubber "tacky pad" or whatever it is called in order to make the GPS not move when I make high-speed, tight corners.

When I'm out for a really serious day, I used to use Microsoft Streets and Trips 2005 and it worked well when it didn't randomly crash. You'd have to look at the screen a lot. Now I use DeLorme's Street Atlas USA 2006 Plus, which gives me turn-by-turn voice directions and will recalculate the route when I stray from the path.

Edit: Forgot to mention my laptop.
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a geocacher, I can't recommend Magellan's dashtops as they don't support entry of positions via coords; only addresses.

StreetPilot 2610 and 2620 are soon to be discontinued if they aren't already, but they're lovely units and if you're willing to do refurb can be found for easily under $500 complete with Mapsource unlocks, remote, and touch screen. They come with Garmin's "bean bag" mount - depending on whether the MN law is "on the window" or "on the dash" that may or may not get you around that.

Unlike a PC with the aforementioned "random crash" thing going on, they work very well. They boot in seconds and are way less fidgety.

Since a StreetPilot is on _my_ dash, they happen to be supported by GPSBabel which means they work in GSAK, too. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: