MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

April Fool's Acorn Park Disc-Golf/Geocaching
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:16 am    Post subject: April Fool's Acorn Park Disc-Golf/Geocaching Reply with quote

After seeing quite a few disc golf courses while geocaching, I bought a cheap starter set of golf discs (and since I haven't used them yet, I don't know why any ol' Whammo won't work for disc golf). So far, I'll keep this kind of loose--I'll be at the first tee (N 4501.194, W 09306.660) at 11:00am on Saturday, April 1st, then either after a round of disc golf, or while waiting for a tee time, or after I get bored and decide to go caching instead, I'm going caching in the area, and anyone is welcome to join me. If there is enough people interested in this, we'll also stop for post cache/disc-golf refreshments, and I'm open to suggestions for that. Since the primary focus here if for me, and anybody else, to see what disc-golf is all about by playing a round, I won't even try to get a cache page pushed through the system for this. Please post to this thread if you are interested. Thank you.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't frolfed since college (I gave away my discs not realizing that there would be a course .5 from my apartment in Minnesota). I need to take it up again being that I've been on at least 10 different courses and know of two more brand new ones.

How much was the "starter kit" and what range of discs did it come with?
jambro
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've still got my discs, but haven't thrown in years - at least 6 years since we moved here from San Diego. Used to throw in Balboa Park, a cool place to play. We get back from our vacation on the 31st, so if I can get a kitchen pass - and if there's not a foot of snow on the ground - I'll be there. I see there's a bunch of Posen caches nearby that I haven't found yet!
former hawkeye
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI-Breakfast Buddies in April
There is a disc golf course about 1 mile east of the Fryn'Pan of Fargo (its in Minnesota). Its called Woodland Park. I hope to have a cache established there when you guys come north in the spring.
Posen
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to go, if only to clear those pesky Roseville caches off of my to-do list!
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a bunch of discs that I inherited from a friend who vowed never to play again. I still haven't thrown them and have no idea which discs are what.

I might be interested, I'll be watching this thread.
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How much was the "starter kit" and what range of discs did it come with?

I forget what I paid for the set, but it came with a fairway driver disc, utility disc, and a putter disc. Three-disc sets like what I picked up are at Air Traffic in Burnsville Center.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

15Tango wrote:
I forget what I paid for the set, but it came with a fairway driver disc, utility disc, and a putter disc. Three-disc sets like what I picked up are at Air Traffic in Burnsville Center.

I'll take a look and see what I come up with. I'm looking for various activities to keep me busy in the "off-season" from caching and getting back into frolfing will keep me in the parks and hopefully away from the ticks!
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got about 20 disc's...

found a bunch of them...but bought most of them used at playitagain in WSP.

I look at my disc golf as "rapid discaching"

I throw it in the woods, loose it, find it, throw it again.

my buddy thinks i'm weird when I get excited cuz I lost my disc.
fidian
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

former hawkeye wrote:
FYI-Breakfast Buddies in April
There is a disc golf course about 1 mile east of the Fryn'Pan of Fargo (its in Minnesota). Its called Woodland Park. I hope to have a cache established there when you guys come north in the spring.

My sister lives within walking distance of Oak Grove park, which also has a disc golf course, two geocaches, and is just a tiny bit north of Woodland.
celticwulf
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which are the caches nearby so I can dload them to GPS early? (yes, being lazy cause I wanna Wink I'll probably show up, I was using my disc golf bag as a geocaching bag for a bit, so I'll need to put the disc's back in and remove some swag...but that should work.

<edit> I just found my map of Twin City's Disc Golf Courses, and Acorn Park is on it so I'll bring it along so we know where we're throwing...for some odd reason I remember that being a problem the last few times I've played at new courses Laughing </edit>

Celticwulf
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the ball rolling (or frisbee flying?) on this, and now I won't make it--Perrine's grandmother passed away after a long illness, and the memorial service is in the early afternoon on the 1st. I would postpone this event, but since I could be mobilized on the 15th at the soonest, I'd have to postpone it for a year or more. So, if anyone is still planning on attending, have fun disc-golfing and caching!!!
celticwulf
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, talking with people at WeekNIGHT caching last night, the only two confirmed there were myself and Lucid. I'm still up for the disc golf/caching idea, but with people seeming to drop like flys is it just going to be Lucid and myself, or will others be along for the fun?

Celticwulf
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested in showing up earlier than 11:00, if anyone else is game.

...say, 9:30-10:00ish?
celticwulf
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucidOndine wrote:
...say, 9:30-10:00ish?

With how much sleep I've gotten this week...11 was sounding good to me Razz

Celticwulf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: