MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Winter Friendly?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
GeoPierce wrote:
I would mark it as one or the other and add a clarification to the cache description. Smile

The cache is findable in the snow (see woodfrey's log on 1/27/06 - about a foot of snow when he found it). Personally I wouldn't seach for it in the snow, but that's me.

I will add a note to the cache page about the snow. Smile

Yeah, I guess I didn't think about the snow being an issue because I'm used to caching in the Twin Cities during the week. And sometimes I just don't use my brain. Smile
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's also interesting is that "winter friendly" may vary depending on where you are located as well. Winter in the cities is very different from winter in Duluth. An ammo can on the ground in southern MN may be considered winter friendly as it can be found during most of the winter. It would likely not be considered winter friendly in International Falls.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Pear Head's definitions of winter friendly.

It gets a snowflake if it is equally doable year around. If there is no snowflake it could be findable, but the finder must realize the difficulty can either be way higher (snow, ice) or lower (lack of vegetative cover). I was out at Hooligan's A STASH OF NUTS last weekend for a TB drop and could not find it. It is still findable in the winter I know, but the hip deep snow in places turned me away.

If there is a snowflake with a line through it, I assume it is either under water (which is also doable in winter, but difficulty 5+), or the owner doesn't want the cache disturbed in winter for reasons, i.e. difficulty in reconcealing it.
former hawkeye
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one cache that I marked not winter friendly for 2 reasons-too much snow and there will be hidden hazards with this snow. I don't want anyone to break their leg tripping on a hazard.
I looked for one cache in late December and I fell though a hidden creek up to my knees in cold water. I sure was glad I was not caching alone that day. I mentioned that this cache was not winter friendly in the DNF-I wish the cache owner would have mentioned it because some people do not read logs.
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one I marked not winter friendly- because of the snow and the area being extremely dangerous- and somebody went to the area- then said in the log it wasn't appropriate for winter caching- go figure. I agree- there are still 24-30 inches of snow on the ground in the Ely area- most of my caches are under ice and snow or the parking lots aren't plowed to get to them- I have disabled those I feel are dangerous to cachers in the winter until the end of April. At least then I know I have done my part to try to keep them out the best I could. I find that people from the Cities seem to "know" better than we who live in the area- but we deal with other people telling us how to manage our land in many aspects up here- its the norm.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Northern MN All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: