MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

maps.ask.com
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: maps.ask.com Reply with quote

Ask.com has a new map site, the images have far better resolution and clarity than google maps, check it out.

http://maps.ask.com/

I was compairing the maps for the following coords:

45.02345, -92.99225

it's amazing. At the top of the map is a set of options to view stree map, aerial photo or mixed, and they allow you to use your scroll wheel to zoom in and out (something google maps doesn't allow you to do).

Their driving directions are pretty cool too, they allow you to "play" the directins and walk through the turns.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing that makes it better is that it has more detailed maps of Duluth. I've never understood why some of Duluth is blurry and some isn't when I use Google maps. Also, Google Earth has turn by turn directions and you don't have to be connected to the internet.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: maps.ask.com Reply with quote

sir_zman wrote:
Ask.com has a new map site, the images have far better resolution and clarity than google maps, check it out.

Thanks, that's really impressive! I still like the google maps/google earth interface much better.. It took me a while to figure out how to tell ask.com to show me those coordinates. ask.com is slower too. But it's still work playing with for the high detail.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeoPierce wrote:
The only thing that makes it better is that it has more detailed maps of Duluth. I've never understood why some of Duluth is blurry and some isn't when I use Google maps. Also, Google Earth has turn by turn directions and you don't have to be connected to the internet.

Part of Duluth has been captured by the service that Google uses, part hasn't.

One bummer part about Google's maps is that they are very dark - the ask maps appear much brighter.

As noted, the ask site seems much slower and not quite as user friendly, although I think this is just what you get used to.

I did notice that for the couple of spots I pulled up in Duluth that I could not zoom in all the way - it told me that there wasn't images for the last 3 or so zoom steps, instead of just blowing up the images that it had.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
As noted, the ask site seems much slower and not quite as user friendly, although I think this is just what you get used to.

Maybe it's just slow because it's new and there's lots of people trying it out?
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeoPierce wrote:
Pear Head wrote:

Maybe it's just slow because it's new and there's lots of people trying it out?

I could buy that.

I am never in the loop on these 'new sites' so I figure by the time I hear about it the site has been around for a long time. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
spinowner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the aerial photos are newer than the ones on Google.
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spinowner wrote:

Yeah, the copyright date on ask.com is 2006 and the copyright date on google.com is 2005.
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed the speed issue as well, it's not that bad, but I agree that Google's interface is better, just wish they'd make the scroll wheel do zooming...and maybe update their photos.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeoPierce wrote:
spinowner wrote:

Yeah, the copyright date on ask.com is 2006 and the copyright date on google.com is 2005.

Unfortunately, the aerial imagery isn't new. I did some comparison looking, and there's a new mega-church located in my neighborhood that bought out an old Builder's Square building and converted it. Ripped up the parking lot a year or two ago and put in a new one with a lawn area out front. From the ask.com maps, the old parking lot is still there, and the roof looks like it's being worked on (that happened when they bought it, about 3 years ago).

Google shows the new parking lot at the same place, but lower res. I did notice something new, when you zoom all the way in in google now, the furthest zoom-in setting says they don't have imagery at this resolution. Perhaps they're planning on an update for our area soon?

Still, very nice high res photos on ask.com, been fun to look at.

Edit: Here's a link to the location I'm talking about

Google Maps

Ask.com Maps

Notice on ask.com when you zoom out, the data changes to show the lawn. Looks like just their high res image is older.
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the high res images are older... zooming in on work it doesn't even have half our parking lot... the Google map shows our lot sort of under construction... which I think was done when 9 and 29 merged into the same building for those who remember the dates of TV mergers and switches (as I wasn't up here yet)
15Tango
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad others are finding it slow, as well--I was starting to think that the other guy who's still using dial-up was online the same time I was.
IBcrashen
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me it looks like mixed aged. Where they logged by Gonsolos cabin last fall is on there.
fsu*noles
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless if the aerial maps are newer or older than Google, I give Ask big points for having ANY aerial photo coverage for anything outside the metro area at all - Google has Buffalo as a big blurry cornfield, as they do for most everything in MN outside the 494/694 loop...very frustrating. If you zoom out to a US level, you can see they did a great job with Illinois and a few other states, but Minnesota's coverage isn't very good - now granted, Ask lets me see Buffalo's corn fields in higher resolution, but it's still nice to see streets and house detail, so good for them. The more options the better I say!

-Ken
fsu*noles
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Example of above - here's my neighborhood on ask.com, which includes the houses around me:

And here's Google's interpretation of the same area, this is their best shot and the detail isn't even close...if you zoom in any more, you just get grey boxes. Check out the detail for Google for anything west of Plymouth, it's just one big blob...

In Ask's case, the streets aren't accurate but the aerial's are for my neighborhood - they're just missing about 20 more houses in the block. I think they'll both be useful, can't have enough tools, right? Smile

-Ken
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: