MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New GPS Sat. launched to replace an existing one.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 11:55 am    Post subject: New GPS Sat. launched to replace an existing one. Reply with quote

A new GPS sat. was launched this week to replace one that has been in service since 1990.

See stories here
SirPoonga
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The story didn't link right or something.

So does this mean we will get firmware updates to our GPSes?
I'd think the sattelite (sp?) would not be in the exact same spot so the position of sts in the gps would need to change ?
PeakShift
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the text:

U.S. Air Force Ready to Launch GPS II Satellite
The U.S. Air Force is preparing to launch an upgraded Global Positioning Systems (GPS) satellite built by Lockheed Martin aboard a Delta II rocket scheduled on 21-Dec-2003 from Cape Canaveral, Florida. The GPS IIR-10 satellite features significant performance upgrades, including an advanced antenna panel, which will increase power for GPS receivers.

Lockheed Martin said there are eight new-generation GPS IIR spacecraft currently on orbit out of a total GPS constellation of 28 satellites. GPS IIR satellites are designed to improve global coverage and increase the overall performance of the GPS constellation. Lockheed Martin has delivered 21 of these satellites to the U.S. Air Force Space and Missile Systems Center.
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: New GPS Sat. launched to replace an existing one. Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
A new GPS sat. was launched this week to replace one that has been in service since 1990.

OK -- my question is what happens to the old one? Still making it's orbit?
Do they just turn it off and let it go or is this something the space shuttle would have picked up and brought home or flung out into space? Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SirPoonga wrote:
The story didn't link right or something.

My bad, I really should have checked it with a preview first. I blame everything on Kitch or Marsha Twisted Evil

Have a happy holiday everyone!
Silent Bob
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody really cared for a few days!!! Laughing NOW THATS FUNNY!!
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These new satellites (this is the 10th) transmit their almanac info to your GPSr, so I doubt you will need a firmware upgrade.

Its hard to actually find a quote where somebody will come out and say what happens to the old ones...

Quote:
The new satellite replaces the GPS 2A-10 craft launched on November 26, 1990. Final plans for the aged satellite have not been determined, the Air Force says. "Projected reliability" is the reason it is being replaced, according to the GPS program office.

They hardly ever tell you how most space garbage is disposed of, for reasons that seem obvious to me. When the time comes, though, it will probably meet a low-cost and firery end in our atmosphere. There's really nothing worth salvaging on the old satellite. "Flinging it out into space" isn't an option as the energy required to do that is too large.

-Rick
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 9:29 am    Post subject: Space Garbage Reply with quote

Here is a link to the current best practice for GPS satellite disposal

http://www.aero.org/news/current/gps-orbit.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: