MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BookCrossing???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 3:14 pm    Post subject: BookCrossing??? Reply with quote

Hey I just found out about www.BookCrossing.com. It looks like it could become the indoor equivalent of geocaching Shocked

I did a quick search for local hunts and found this one http://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/1161318 that someone left in the local Target store. I really like the photo of the hiding place.

Has anybody tried this yet?

-Rick
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: BookCrossing??? Reply with quote

rickrich wrote:
I did a quick search for local hunts and found this one http://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/1161318 that someone left in the local Target store. I really like the photo of the hiding place.

Has anybody tried this yet?

They are supposedly not supposed to be hidden in places that sell books. This Target is not a good place for this book. The books are usually used, marked as such, and contain some sort of inscription on the inside so that you know what it is.

I would be afraid to pick this book up in its current location because they might think you are trying to shoplift.

Some people have equated them to Where's George bills and have started placing them in caches all over. Hopefully bookcrossing.com won't take the anti-geocaching stance that WG did Sad

Happy cachin',
Silent Bob
RJ
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This cache in Edina used to be sort of a bookcrossing.com cache. It's archived now but it's the only place or time that I've ever heard of the activity. It's called Reader Rabbit (GCAF3D). I liked the idea of a book trading cache.
hardware
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm sorry to hear that 'reader rabbit' has been archived. i'm glad it wasn't because of plundering, but i kind of expected to revisit the cache one day, simply to leave a book or trade for something else. i was curious enough about it last winter to go out of my way to visit, and the book i picked up has since been left at another cache, where it has been picked up and logged as found at bookcrossing.com.

bookcrossing.com is different than wheresgeorge.com because it doesn't try to uphold some ficticious "natural circulation" standard. bookcrossing.com encourages people to do unique things with marked books so they'll be noticed by others, such as leave one hanging off the hand of a public statue. i'm sure the site welcomes its use by geocachers, unlike wheresgeorge.com, which barely tolerates the use of that site by pesky geocachers.
Lyverbird
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea and have left several books in caches and have others in my trade bag for when the cache is big enough to fit one. (Pony books of course). I did think of placing a book trading themed cache but for some reason thought here were several already. May be I'll do one yet and see if I can tie it in with Bookcrossings.com.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 7:12 pm    Post subject: Books in caches Reply with quote

I'd like to suggest to those of you who like to put books in caches to be sure only to place them in those with good waterproof containers. Just putting the book into a zip-loc befor sticking it into a GladWare tub wont cut it. Book are like sponges and will quickly absorb a lot of moisture. I've seen numerous grossly moldy books in caches. Yuck! Shocked
RJ
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you could put an old unread paperback in a cache to keep everything else dry! Smile Like those little packets of silica that come in virtually everything. They say "NOT FOOD-DON'T EAT".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Non Geocaching All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: