MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Not so positive geocaching article

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: Not so positive geocaching article Reply with quote

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/01/17/geocaching.prosecution.ap/index.html
jambro
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this, and I'm trying to figure out what this guy was thinking! That looks like it's quite high, I don't think I'd like to climb up to retrieve that thing. Maybe it's not as high as it looks? Yikes...
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess would have been that it may have been attached with a string or something to facilitate retrieval.

I only have two comments on the article:

Even though this seems like bad press, it gets the idea of geocaching out there. I got involved in geocaching when I heard of the MnDNR ban on it (as some others did as well).

I'm surprised that the founder of geocaching has only heard of a few incidents like this. I've heard of a few incidents like this, and I'm not an the center of the sport...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
TimbreWlf
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering the actual number of caches out there, its amazing that incidents like this are so few and far between. Marking, Marking, and Marking. Along with educating the recreation and law enforcement communities.
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
I'm surprised that the founder of geocaching has only heard of a few incidents like this.

Actually co-founder Bryan Roth was quoted. Interesting..

I also thought the cache hider's statements about wanting to make an extreme cache... most of the main incidents I've heard relate to caches placed on bridges, at least the major bad press articles. I'm just getting more convinced bridges (and I suppose other very suspect places) just aren't good for physical caches.

I'm sure some will argue with my thoughts though, as usual.
fsu*noles
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, just a lil' common sense and alot of problems can be avoided. I think I mentioned this on these forums before, but a group of us did maybe 25 caches in Riverside, CA last May. I'd say 20 of them were on *clearly* marked private property, including one placed in a lamp post, maybe 3 feet from the front door of the County Courthouse! There were a few of them that had us park RIGHT by signs saying not to trespass, which made us uncomfortable enough with the potential of causing trouble that we didn't even get out of the car...but doesn't deter the locals.

Or my other favorite one: in New Mexico, just up the road from El Paso, and RIGHT on the US-Mexico border. It requires you to go offroading, then walk up to the border with the Border Patrol station maybe .15 miles away and up on a hill, watching your every move. Many of the logs mention an encounter with the Patrol, and I'm surprised they didn't remove it immediately.

Things like that would NEVER fly around here, and for that I'm glad: without the reviewers keeping tight control over things like that, there will definitely be more articles like the one that started this thread. I just think we don't need that kind of trouble - who knows, maybe I'm just being a wimp? Cheers,

-Ken
jambro
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fsu*noles wrote:
I agree, just a lil' common sense and alot of problems can be avoided. I think I mentioned this on these forums before, but a group of us did maybe 25 caches in Riverside, CA last May. I'd say 20 of them were on *clearly* marked private property, including one placed in a lamp post, maybe 3 feet from the front door of the County Courthouse! There were a few of them that had us park RIGHT by signs saying not to trespass, which made us uncomfortable enough with the potential of causing trouble that we didn't even get out of the car...but doesn't deter the locals.

Or my other favorite one: in New Mexico, just up the road from El Paso, and RIGHT on the US-Mexico border. It requires you to go offroading, then walk up to the border with the Border Patrol station maybe .15 miles away and up on a hill, watching your every move. Many of the logs mention an encounter with the Patrol, and I'm surprised they didn't remove it immediately.

Things like that would NEVER fly around here, and for that I'm glad: without the reviewers keeping tight control over things like that, there will definitely be more articles like the one that started this thread. I just think we don't need that kind of trouble - who knows, maybe I'm just being a wimp? Cheers,

-Ken

No, I don't think you're being a wimp. And it's amazing how uncommon common sense is anymore.
Lyverbird
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so when I plant the bomb I'll clearly label it "Geocaching.com". Also, perhaps one or two of the board gaurds are geocachers, maybe even the hider of said cache, and gets a giggle out of watching others hunt hard. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dances With Beehives
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And it's amazing how uncommon common sense is anymore.

It don't make much sense
That common sense
Don't make no sense
No more

------ John Prine
jambro
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dachebo wrote:
Quote:
And it's amazing how uncommon common sense is anymore.

It don't make much sense
That common sense
Don't make no sense
No more

------ John Prine

Heh!
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least it wasn't a sewing machine in a breifcase, like they found in downtown Long Beach--I forgot to copy the link and can't find it again, but the article's buried somewhere on CNN.com, if one is interested in digging for it. Nothing to do with geocaching, but at first mention, I thought they were going to say that the bomb-squad was being called out for a cache.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Media Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: