MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Virtual" travel bugs
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Text from the cache site:
Quote:

Cache container is an ammo can painted to resemble a grave stone. I'm starting to accumulate quite a few MIA travel bugs, and I decided to release the copy tags into circulation, and be creative in doing so. Thus the Pet Semetary cache--a place where one can put their dead travel bugs, and watch them come back to life in a slightly altered form. Before placing your copy bug into the cache, be sure to virtually reclaim the bug using the number on the copy tag, and place it in the cache using the drop-down menu when you post a log. And please only take one bug per visit so there are still bugs in the cache for the next finder. I'm also placing quite a few normal trade items, to thin out my growing collection. Also remember to cache in and trash out.

Arrow Pet Sematary

I've used this cache a lot, though not in the manner 15Tango intended. I have about a half-dozen travel bugs that will be visiting very soon.

I've never used my copy tags. I write the number on the item, or attach a cheapie luggage-type tag. It works. They circulate.

Got missing coins? Substitute some other coin or token. Can't be bothered with it, but would like to see your item traveling again? You knew there had to be a point to this, right? Send me the number and I'll take care of it. HEH Rolling Eyes
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my geocoin grabs was deleted yesterday:

Quote:
This Coin was a virtual geocoin until it was locked by groundspeak. They wrote :

"Hi The reason your Geocoin/Travelbug page was locked is because it is a virtual geocoin. The site was not designed for this type of tracking. We do not see virtual TB's as an acceptable use of the tracking features of the site, and we take this kind of setup as an abuse of our features. I am very sorry for any frustration this may have caused you. If you would like to have the coin unlocked, please delete all logs associated with it's virtual whereabouts and edit the description to delete the tracking number. Once this is done, please let me know the coin number and I will put it in the queue to have it unlocked! Thanks!"

Quote:
Why I am doing this?? Well isn't that game about statistics?? So you can do something good for yours! Wink

About this item:
Thus I had to delete all the previous logs to unlock the coin. A dummy of this coin will start its tour soon.
dmnrec
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:
One of my geocoin grabs was deleted yesterday:

Quote:
This Coin was a virtual geocoin until it was locked by groundspeak. They wrote :

"Hi The reason your Geocoin/Travelbug page was locked is because it is a virtual geocoin. The site was not designed for this type of tracking. We do not see virtual TB's as an acceptable use of the tracking features of the site, and we take this kind of setup as an abuse of our features. I am very sorry for any frustration this may have caused you. If you would like to have the coin unlocked, please delete all logs associated with it's virtual whereabouts and edit the description to delete the tracking number. Once this is done, please let me know the coin number and I will put it in the queue to have it unlocked! Thanks!"

Quote:
Why I am doing this?? Well isn't that game about statistics?? So you can do something good for yours! Wink

About this item:
Thus I had to delete all the previous logs to unlock the coin. A dummy of this coin will start its tour soon.

For me, this is all so confusing....if I have the actual coins, can I "drop" them hypothetically in an archived cache of mine, so when I meet other cachers and they get to hold my coins (briefly), they can log a pick up and drop off or a grab from my archived cache? They still got to touch the coins....I bought the tracking numbers along with the coins....is this not allowed???
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmnrec wrote:
For me, this is all so confusing....if I have the actual coins, can I "drop" them hypothetically in an archived cache of mine, so when I meet other cachers and they get to hold my coins (briefly), they can log a pick up and drop off or a grab from my archived cache? They still got to touch the coins....I bought the tracking numbers along with the coins....is this not allowed???

It would appear that as long as you don't have the bug/coin number listed on the bug/coin page it'll be fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Travel Bugs All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: