MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Three Rivers Parks
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=4a557594-fdeb-4d89-9d48-f8ecde25cc06

Read J T's log, then look at this map:

http://www.geocaching.com/map/getmap.aspx?lat=44.83725&lon=-93.40325

The Three Rivers website doesn't even claim Anderson Lakes:

http://www.threeriversparkdistrict.org/parks/index.cfm

and if you look at the Hyland Lake area:

http://www.threeriversparkdistrict.org/parks/maps/hyland_summer.pdf

OK, I think they're full of _ _ _ _ so I go to Anderson Lakes EARLY this morning (before traffic, HEH), to place a couple new caches. If you looked at that map, the whole northern and western areas of the park were open. I parked at the Preserve (?) shopping mall, and crossed Anderson Lakes Parkway to the paved trail. AHA, no Three Rivers boundary signs, looks good. I followed the trail a bit, went off on a woodchip trail, which lead back to the paved trail, only further along. Not far off was a parking lot. Laughed at myself, because if I'd continued on the Parkway, I could have parked there. As i approach the lot, I see the Three Rivers logo on the garbage cans.

What the heck? If it's your park, update the damn website. If it's your park, how do you call it part of the Hyland Lake Park Preserve? This re-enforced my resolution: I'm removing all caches from park districts requiring registration.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:
If it's your park, how do you call it part of the Hyland Lake Park Preserve? This re-enforced my resolution: I'm removing all caches from park districts requiring registration.

I don't understand how it can be considered the same park when a major (4 lane) highway seperates the two sections and the two sections have different names.

I am going so far to say that I will continue my boycott of Three Rivers until they remedy this situation. Anyone willing to try and talk some sense into them about this issue?
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
Anyone willing to try and talk some sense into them about this issue?

ummmmmm...... let's see, that would be the job of the MnGCA board Wink
Have fun. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centris wrote:
ummmmmm...... let's see, that would be the job of the MnGCA board :wink:Have fun. Very Happy

yup. It wouldn't be me though Wink
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to revive an old thread.

I've recently spoken with our contact with the Three Rivers Park District, Marlene Witucki, along with some cache hiders that have been outside of some of their regulations. For now, the MnGCA does not enforce any rules a park or other geocaching area may have, but we do make strong recommendations to cachers and cache hiders to follow existing rules and regulations that may be in place.

I wanted to publicly thank geocachers Good-Boy and Dick K who have made special efforts recently to work with situations with the Three Rivers Park District. Even though there is not agreement among geocachers as to what should and should not be acceptable (including amongst MnGCA board members), they both made choices that help maintain our great image as respectful park users. They have both sacrificed decent caches for the cause. In both cases, neither cache hider knowledgeably did anything wrong.

I will also say that the Three Rivers Park District has a very strong amount of respect for geocachers and the MnGCA. Much of the foundation of this respect was built by former boardmember Bobhiker, but it continues on with all geocachers that deal with their parks either by hiding or finding caches within Three Rivers' juristiction.

I want this forum to continue to remain open and honest about the pros and cons of the Three Rivers' policies and I want everyone to feel comfortable being publicaly in agreement or disagreement with them... but I also support and have a lot of respect for people following the existing policies. Again, I want to thank Good-Boy and Dick K for doing so.

-Aaron
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They have both sacrificed decent caches for the cause.

I guess I'm not following any of this. Any time I needed to register a cache, I was reminded by Marlene.

If our two heroes removed the caches from Tierney's woods, I would ask why? Is Tierney's a banned site?

Quote:
I want this forum to continue to remain open and honest about the pros and cons of the Three Rivers' policies

They need to change the magic number of 3 to something pro-rated per park. Some should be 1 or two. Some could be 5.

There is an increasing amount of land falling under the Three Rivers umbrella. Recently they ventured into Ramsey County.
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:
Quote:
They have both sacrificed decent caches for the cause.

I guess I'm not following any of this. Any time I needed to register a cache, I was reminded by Marlene.

If our two heroes removed the caches from Tierney's woods, I would ask why? Is Tierney's a banned site?

One was an archived cache that was adopted and then unarchived without it being registered when there were 3 caches in the park already. The other issue was more than one cache by the same cache hider in the same park. Also, if I remember correctly neither were registered. Both parties decided to remove all their caches from the park.

Quote:
Quote:
I want this forum to continue to remain open and honest about the pros and cons of the Three Rivers' policies

They need to change the magic number of 3 to something pro-rated per park. Some should be 1 or two. Some could be 5.

Interesting idea.

Quote:
There is an increasing amount of land falling under the Three Rivers umbrella. Recently they ventured into Ramsey County.

Also interesting. Rumor also has it that Ramsey County may be dropping some of their geocaching policies to make things easier for cache hiders. One policy that would be dropped would be the limit as to how long a cache can be in a park. Just a rumor, as far as I know.

-Aaron

Edit: Fixed Quotes
Rouster
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone suggested a quota per square mile? Many of these parks are very large, especially if they are combined (think Tierny/Bush/Anderson).
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three Rivers Parks geocaching permits expire on April 1st

I will not be re-newing any of mine, so if any one wants to be LTF, you have my permission (and Thanks) to remove it for me. I believe I have three remaining:

< edit >

Thanks J.

Last edited by King Boreas on Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like my kinda Job. Count me in for pickups on those ones KB
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Monday November 14th, Paklid and I met with several members of the Three Rivers staff including the well known Marlene Witucki to discuss updating their geocaching policy.

Using statistics gathered by various cachers over the last few years on all caches in the state and more specifically within 20 miles of Minneapolis/St. Paul, we were able to give some actual numbers about cache visit frequency over a year of a cache’s lifetime and use that to give the updated policy some real credibility.

Our goals for this policy were to lighten the registration requirements, do away with re-registration after a year, increase the density permitted in Three Rivers' parks, increase the distance from trail requirements, and make a clean and easy to read policy for both Three Rivers and geocachers in Minnesota.

Basing our proposed policy on the success of the Duluth Policy, we made some changes to better fit Three Rivers and submitted it to Marlene in late October. Marlene got back with us with a meeting time and location and both Paklid and I took time out of our work week to do the presentation.

Overall the presentation went well and we both found that the Three Rivers staff is *very* happy with geocaching and geocachers and welcome the activity in their parks. Both Paklid and I felt that the meeting was a success for the MnGCA and that Three Rivers took our policy under serious consideration, but we will not know the outcome of the policy presentation until after the Three Rivers Board meets in December.

We’ll keep you posted on any updates that become available to us.

Thanks and happy cachin’,

Silent Bob
MnGCA President
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three Rivers ...

If they'd just go back to Hennepin Parks, I'd know where they are.
celticwulf
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:
Three Rivers ...

If they'd just go back to Hennepin Parks, I'd know where they are.

I agree, the first time I heard about Three Rivers I had to look up on Google to figure out what area it was...then again, it's all just "the cities" to me Laughing

Celticwulf
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
On Monday November 14th, Paklid and I met with several members of the Three Rivers staff including the well known Marlene Witucki to discuss updating their geocaching policy.

Way to go, guys! Keep up the good work!
jrest
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool!!!! Thanks for taking that one and running with it. Looking forward to hearing what the decision is, and hopefully it will be good for both parties.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Park Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: