MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hunting Seasons

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:49 am    Post subject: Hunting Seasons Reply with quote

Many people think of hunting season as just rifle deer- muzzle loading season goes through mid- December and certain birds can be hunted into January- so a cache closed for hunting can be from September into January depending on what is hunted in the area- including moose, bear, deer, birds, etc. Not just 2 weeks in Nov. Something all cachers should keep in mind in the autumn months.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't normally close my caches for hunting. If there is hunting in the area that I am aware of (or if it seems like an area that would be hunted) then I try and list that on the cache page and put the hunting icon up, but I leave it up to the judgement of the cacher to hunt the cache or not, and to wear orange or not.

There's nothing wrong with searching for a cache during hunting in the woods - you just need to prepare for it by wearing the blaze orange.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:

There's nothing wrong with searching for a cache during hunting in the woods - you just need to prepare for it by wearing the blaze orange.

I can't agree more. One thing I would add is that if you cache with dogs they should wear blaze orange as well.

Closing caches for any reason is silly. We all do this at our own risk and should be aware of the hazzards of geocaching and the area we are caching in.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

towlebooth wrote:
Closing caches for any reason is silly. We all do this at our own risk and should be aware of the hazzards of geocaching and the area we are caching in.

I have no problems with a cache owner "disabling" a cache to let you know that they would *prefer* that you do not search for it at some particular point in time but I really believe that the cache should be left in place and thus the decision to find should be left up to the cacher themselves.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ANY of my disabled caches may be found. Expect some type of problem, however. Usually a note will describe it.

The exception is this: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=eec33344-f307-4d72-a940-2efe67393f4a
northtrekker
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At work this morning we were talking about geocaches, caching in the winter, hunting season etc. We talked about disabling caches. I think that geocachers in general know that they shouldn't be strolling through the woods without blaze orange during hunting season and perhaps maybe shouldn't be in some areas at all. When I read the cache placement guidelines I see that there should be some permanence to the placement, so that to me says, keep it open, unless there is a problem with the cache itself. It seems like a good portion of caches up here could be disabled during hunting season ... I go with the idea that we proceed at our own risk. If a cache placer wants to give a blaze orange reminder in the write up, go for it. If they want to post a suggestion to NOT go after the cache in certain months, go for it. That would be sensible. I've also heard that some cachers would prefer closing them because the area gets dug up in the winter... can't say I blame them, but then again, when caches are placed, that "permanence" word in the guidelines shouts out to me, regardless of if we live in the desert or the tundra! Just my 2 bits on this topic. I'm glad this topic came up, I sorta wondered what the general "feel" about such was from our geocacher population! Back to work Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Northern MN All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: