MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best Cellphone

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScubaAl
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: Best Cellphone Reply with quote

Hello,

I have been thinking about up grading my cell phone. I'm with Verison and like there nation wide plan. Basically your home area is everywhere(that there is service).
What do you think is the best phone and options that work well caching? Seems internet access would be a good thing to have. Anyone have a setup they think is great?
Thanks for your help, Al
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Verizon's mobile web access on my cell phone and I would never use it extensively for caching. Very slow and text only. If you are serious about internet acces in the field, I recommend looking into the Hiptop/Sidekick service through T-Mobile.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Moe on Verizon's web service. I had it on my phone but just cancelled it as it was way too slow to be useful, and was text only. You're also pretty limited in sites you can go to as most don't support that type of setup. Geocaching.com does, but it's a pain. Granted, it's better than nothing at all if you depend on it, but the first time I really depended on it I couldn't get on.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly there is no tmobile service in Duluth or north of there. So no sidekick. You are really limited to the providers in you area unless you want to buy one that doesn't work when you are home.
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to stick with Verizon and want to upgrade your phone they are just now rolling out high speed internet access here in the cities... their reps were showing it off the other day, we did a short segment on it on our morning show. (Verizon felt the need to rent a stretch Hummer Limo to tout this new stuff) I saw one of the phones in action, and I will say it seemed pretty fast, especially if you get one of the pocketPC phone/PDA things with the mini- keyboard. I will say their area of high speed internet is the metro only. I glanced at the service area and it stopped basically just west of Lake Minnetonka, down to barely Chaska, and around Shakopee and a similar line eastward.

Personally I just use my cell phone for calls. I don't need it to take pictures/video or text messaging stuff. I have a laptop and anymore there is an excellent chance you can find a hotspot with little trouble. Give the city of Minneapolis another year or so and they are supposed to have city-wide wifi available.
ScubaAl
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay then, maybe I will just stick with what I have. Let the technology move forward a bit. What got me thinking about up grading is the sometimes poor call quality on the phone I now have.
On Monday I called from here in Bloomington to Duluth and to the Knife River Marina. In both cases I only got bits and pieces of the conversation.
"Can you here me know"? Very Happy
Thanks for the info, Al
ArmyCrayzee
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Phones Reply with quote

I ditched my Verizon phone due to poor service when I was in southern Arizona. I was picking up Mexican cell towers and then not getting service. I didn't get much service until I got up into Tucson.

I ditched my Verizon phone and switched to NexTel. Yeah, I may be a bit biased because they have towers nearly every major military installation, but their service has been world-class. The two-way signalling is really really cool.

It is a litlte more expensive but I do like the features I got with my phone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest I can tell you the best cell phone on the market. What makes this one so great is that you can get it from any service provider.
The best one is one that doesn't ring while your caching.
RINO SHAWN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had a "mishap?" with my cell phone.....my belt clip holder broke and it fell on to the ground in my driveway....I didn't notice it was not still "attatched to my side" until after my friend was leaving my driveway......sure enough....the phone was driven over Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

I didn't think I would need the extra insurance (big mistake)...it seems the only great deals on cell phones are if you are a NEW or FIRST TIME customer....To replace my Motorolla V551 would cost me more now than when I first bought it!!.... I still have almost a year left on my contract.

I am currently with Cingular....customer service department wasn't offering me much help.

I actually got the phone working...it seems OK except for the outside LCD display on the flip part is cracked and not readable....everything on the display inside still works good...even the camera and video stuff.....

My plan is to keep researching my options while "limping" this phone as far as it will go.

I noticed that there is a new version of the Sidekick phone thru T Mobile....I know that some of you are using a Sidekick....Is there anything out there that is as good for access to the web, etc.?? Is T Mobile's service still good for North metro and NW Wisconsin??

SHAWN Rolling Eyes
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RINO SHAWN wrote:
I noticed that there is a new version of the Sidekick phone thru T Mobile....I know that some of you are using a Sidekick....Is there anything out there that is as good for access to the web, etc.?? Is T Mobile's service still good for North metro and NW Wisconsin??

The service level is generally spotty starting after Eau Claire on I-94 but for the most part in NW WI it's ok:

http://geostud.org/ss.jpg

I certainly don't recommend T-mobile service for those that *need* phone service. Some others here (Arcticabn and sui generis) have gotten their Sidekicks via a website for those that are deaf and got the data-only plan only and their phones for about $150.
fireman121
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Sony Ericsson Z500 phone and I hate it, I would steer away from them, the best luck I have had in phones are, Nokia and Motorola phones, they take a beating and still work.

I also use Cingular for our service.

Fireman121
HugoBear
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RINO SHAWN wrote:
I just had a "mishap?" with my cell phone...

Try picking one up on ebay. I've done it in the past with verizon and no problems. Do check that the phone is compatible with their network etc. before getting mad at me! Shocked But it's a fairly cheap workaround.
-Douglas Adams "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: