MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What kind of Palm Pilot works best for Geocaching.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fireman121
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: What kind of Palm Pilot works best for Geocaching. Reply with quote

At the Fridley breakfast buddies, I noticed a lot of Palm Pilots out there, which one works the best for Geocaching, and why?

Last edited by fireman121 on Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:38 am; edited 1 time in total
miles58
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fieman121,

A palm of almost any type will work. If you watch ebay you can find Palm Vs on sale for as little as $10. I bought a Zire 21 for $29 but I don't use it anymore for caching. I have a laptop I use once in a while with GSAK, it's come in handy when I've had it in the trunk, but most of the time it's at home.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What kind of Palm Pilot works best for Geocaching. Reply with quote

fireman121 wrote:
At the Fridley breakfast buddies in Fridley, I noticed a lot of Palm Pilots out there, which one works the best for Geocaching, and why?

Cheap ones. After tumbles, etc, I'm on my third one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ScubaAl
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Earlier this year, when I started caching. I went over to CompUSA and picked up a Palm Tungsten E. I know I could of spent a lot less money, but liked the unit.
Loaded Cachmate and away I went, happily caching ever since. Have about 2000 caches in it at this time.
I believe this unit can not be connected to my GPSr but that has not been an issue so far.
Cache On, Al
RubberToes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with Pear Head. Get a cheap one. I'm also on unit #3 and I almost fried it this weekend when I left it in my pocket while wading through a river down in Missouri. Luciily, I was able to disassemble it, dry it out and get it running again. Needless to say, though, I lost all my data for the weekend.
fireman121
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:51 am    Post subject: At the Fridley breakfast buddies, I noticed a lot of Palm Pi Reply with quote

How about the palm Pilot 3c unit it has 8 mb color screen and sell on ebay for about 60 bucks?
RINO SHAWN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickrich summed it up nicely on the Palm? thread

Quote:
There is plenty of software available for Palm and Handspring PDAs that will let you carry the cache descriptions in those. Here is a link to one of the many docs you can find on the web with Google that describe the general process...

http://home.mchsi.com/~b.hammond/paperless.html

There is a good bit of advice in there about buying a cheap, perhaps used PDA for this purpose. I second that advice, having left my PDA at Lake Calhoun a couple months ago. I replaced it with a very good condition Handspring Visor Deluxe which I got off of eBay for $41 including shipping. These are perfectly good PalmOS PDAs that go for right around the $50 mark on eBay, give or take.

Another piece of advice. There are two kinds of people in this world: organized and the rest of us. If you are an organized person, you will find that a PDA is a valuable assistant. If you are an unorganized person, you will use the PDA to organize yourself for awhile, then go back to your disorganized ways. I wouldn't spend a pile of dough on the latest whiz bang PDA until you can honestly say which kind of person you are or are likely to become. That advice comes from the school of hard knocks Smile.

Many people selling PDAs for cheap on eBay are the disorganized people who bought PDAs and then discovered they never used them. Shop carefully and you will get one that is barely used for dirt cheap.

-Rick

Shawn
RINO SHAWN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still on my first palm pilot (zire 72).....I spent a bit more than just a basic....but I am one of "those people" that uses it every day...for work and for personal use. as far as geocaching goes....I really like having the built in digital camera and the voice recorder built in......the mp3 player is nice but I don't use it very much.

You can surely find a nice palm for cheap if you don't care about the "extra" features like the built in camera. Wink

Shawn
miles58
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebay auction 5825253406. 5 ipaqs.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miles58 wrote:
ebay auction 5825253406. 5 ipaqs.

Arrow auction link
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: