MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Geomatics (Land Surveying) and Mapping Sciences

View previous topic :: View next topic  
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:56 pm    Post subject: Geomatics (Land Surveying) and Mapping Sciences Reply with quote

I just found this program available at St. Paul College, and am serious about pursuing that career path--at work, I applied for the open position of 2nd shift supervisor, but management, in their infinite wisdom, decided to fill that position from outside the company--anyhow, it gave me the impetus to use my great intellect for something other than sheet metal fabrication and finally get a degree, and thus get a career instead of a job. Through this program, I'll learn about Surveying, Computer Aided Design, Hydrology and Hydraulics, and also learn all about those GSP or PGS or GPS thingies. I hear that satellite navigation is going to be big one of these days, and people might even start making hobbies out of it.

Is there anyone here in the Geometrics and Mapping Sciences field that can give me a heads up on what I'm looking forward too? Also, the AS program at St. Paul College is fully articulated with the BS program at St. Cloud State, and I know there's SCSU alum here that can fill me in on what SCSU is like.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no help here, but Congratulations Matt!
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a cool program. I'm half thinking about doing it myself, considering the way things are in the computer industry these days, I figure I might need a bit of a career change myself. I'll be interested in hearing more about what you find out on it.
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went on a tour of Saint Paul College and found out a little more about the program--the way the classes are structured, I won't be able to start mid-year, so I'll be starting next fall. Two semesters of classes, a paid summer internship, and two more semesters of classes, and I'll have the Technical Certificate. I'm going to see what of my previous college education will transfer in--if I get enough General Education Requirements taken care of that way, then I'll go for an AS, if not, then I'll settle for the Technical Certificate--of course, I hope to meet with some people in the field, and find out a little more. But the 7 years I spent at Montana State University has got to be good for something, right?
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update. Are you going to be taking day classes or night ones? Or is there even an option?

Who knows, I might just get the gumption up to give the classes a go myself. Depends on if stuff would work out.
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This program has just day classes--it looks like each course is offered only once a semester, as well. It'd work out great for me, since I work nights. It looks like a 3 credit class, instead of being one hour three days a week like at a four year university, is 3 hours one day a week--4 credit classes are 2 hours twice a week. Another thing they told me when I toured the campus is that St. Paul College is accredited, which means the course work will transfer to other colleges--a lot of the other tech schools around here aren't accredited, which means you can pick up a technical certificate and work in that field, but if the need arises to get more education (and it usually does), the two years of course work won't tranfer to a four year college.
jhwf4
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you can actually get a BS degree in "geometrics and mapping sciences"? Or is there a BS degree and what exactly is it called...sorry, I'm not sure I understand exactly...
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

15Tango wrote:
Another thing they told me when I toured the campus is that St. Paul College is accredited, which means the course work will transfer to other colleges--a lot of the other tech schools around here aren't accredited, which means you can pick up a technical certificate and work in that field, but if the need arises to get more education (and it usually does), the two years of course work won't tranfer to a four year college.

Well, that's not entirely true. I don't know what they mean by "a lot" but any MnSCU College (St. Paul College is one) (see here for a list of MnSCU system schools) will be accredited.

But, just because the college is accredited and you earned an AAS degree doesn't mean it will transfer *anywhere*. It will certainly transfer anywhere in the MnSCU System (thus its creation) but don't assume it will transfer anywhere b/c every school is looking to make a buck and forcing you to retake credits is a good way to do that. Luckily, for Minnesotans, most larger Minnesota colleges are MnSCU schools and you shouldn't have any problems Smile

Good luck w/the program.
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well, that's not entirely true. I don't know what they mean by "a lot" but any MnSCU College (St. Paul College is one) (see here for a list of MnSCU system schools) will be accredited.
My bad--I kind of linked all the two-year schools under the same umbrella--you can get a two year technical certificate (but not for Geomatics) at quite a few places in the metro that aren't part of MnSCU, like Brown, Dunwoody, National American University (Look ma, I got a degree at the Mall of America!!!), etc.--If I wanted to be a chef rather than a surveyer, I'd be better off going to an MnSCU school instead of taking Brown's Cordon Bleu program.
Quote:
So you can actually get a BS degree in "geometrics and mapping sciences"? Or is there a BS degree and what exactly is it called...sorry, I'm not sure I understand exactly...
The BS would be for Land Surveying and Mapping Sciences, and the degree would be from St. Cloud State--I believe one could take the entire four-year program at SCSU, or take the first two years at the junior college and then transfer into the four year program.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Non Geocaching All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: