MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CITO cache
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 5:45 am    Post subject: CITO cache Reply with quote

Just for informational purposes...... my Trashy Cache has been converted to a CITO cache after many emails with one of the admins. This is why it is appearing on the front MN gc page as an expired event. It can no longer be listed as it was previously.
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=36116

Locationless and reverse caches are no longer allowed on gc.com, but this effort is too important to allow it to become archived, so the admin and I came up with the following solution....

I will be picking a day every month as a "CITO day" (or week?) and posting it on the cache page. Hopefully on that day (or week) when you or your family go out geo-caching you will make special efforts at that time to pick up trash and post it on the cache pages...... But you will still be able to post your "finds" at any time of the month or year -- don't ignore it just because it is not CITO day. Multiple finds will be allowed and encouraged for this cache. I will be re-writing and updating the cache page this afternoon.

This cache was originally started as a project for the Environmental Journal TV show and got lots of positive publicity for geocaching at the time. I still believe this is an important project to continue our relationship with the park systems and the DNR. Let them all see what an asset we are to them with our activities! Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

(no flaming about the admins over this -- we came to a good compromise, and he was more than helpful in trying to keep my cache within the rules)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it's a good thing ... every month it'll get bumped up, reminding people that it's there.

How do I get one like that? Razz

arrive...raise heck...leave (SCSA)
RJ
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centris, I think this is one of the most important and coolest caches out there today. Logging a find will have new meaning after I find this cache for the first time. Thank you very much for doing this one and taking the effort to talk with the admins to come to a resolution!
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have updated the page and renamed it accordingly.
Geo-mail me if there is something you think ought to be changed or is not clear.

I decided the 2nd Saturday would probably be good for the CITO days, but as you all know....
EVERY day is a CITO day!
Lets just make some special efforts and thought on that day Very Happy

Maybe I will try to grab RJ's 123 cache and hide it amid the trashiest park I can find for that day --- dozens of geocachers will come and fight over who can pick up the most trash until they find it (kidding).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snaps to TeamVE, Pharmteam and Vermadon for being the only ones brave enough to head out and do the CITO cache in the rain this weekend ---- Very HappyVery HappyVery HappyVery HappyVery HappyVery Happy

I have updated the cache page to November 8th ----- however..... please feel free to do your own CITO day any time you like!! Smile
Jillibean
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centris, thanks for taking the time to update the date each month in order to keep this cache going. Trashing out is really one of the best things we can do as geocachers.
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a reminder that hunting season will start before the next CITO day
-- please be cautious and wear your ORANGE geo-gear if you go out
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the recent activity at the CITO cache
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=822e8f16-7af2-4fc0-ab89-b4b45ff2faf4

USNR-Ret (EcoTrekUSA) posted that the Viking Council BSA Dan Patch District in the Lower Minnesota River Basin has been putting out trash-out bag containers and clue cards at CITO sites -- anybody up for checking this out?

Map link --
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?latlongtype=decimal&latitude=44.833266&longitude=-93.32895
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I visited [url=http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid={0793BB3B-A7F2-4E67-8549-2DF0D314D6AD}]GCHFTF (geoWIZard MultiCache)[/url] by EcoTrekUSA with R.J. this morning and was a bit surprised to find how strange it was. First off, the first stage was strapped to a pole in the parking lot - visiable from the road even. The "second stage" was actually one of SilentBob's caches, [url=http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid={1D3CE8E9-E708-44A6-B608-9318C472C934}]GC3367 (Jeremiah the Bullfrog Swamp by Ryan)[/url], which was hijacked and used for EcoTrekUSA's multi! I was really confused there for a bit, as EcoTrekUSA changed the container and wrote "hyperport" and "mngca.org" on it and left no clue that it was actually the Jeremiah cache I was looking for. Then the final was visiable from the other cache (0.03 miles away). When R.J. and I found it, which was visible from a distance, it appeared that the hiding location for the cache, a hollow log, was used as a trash container! The rest of the park seemed to be clean, except for the cache location... as it was covered in empty bottles, a bug spray can, etc. We would have trashed it all out if we had appropriate gloves. The container itself and all the little business cards associated with it in the Jeremiah cache had MNGCA written all over it. Probably not very good for our image to be placing caches on top of piles of trash stuffed in dead logs with MNGCA proudly taking claim!

Who is this EcoTrekUSA guy? He doesn't appear to be serving on the board, nor does he seem to post on the site... yet he seems to be doing his own work trying to represent us. He's only logged one physical cache, and hijacked it for use in his multi. Strange.

Anyone know him?

-Aaron
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

s4xton wrote:
Anyone know him?

I only know that he caused me never-ending headaches by posting commercial URLs in his logs, people's email addresses other than his own (ie mine), and that he has apparently replaced a perfectly good cache container with something of his own. When he mentioned in his log that he did this I ignored it having absolutely NO idea that he intended to hijack my adopted cache...

I have disabled the Jeremiah the Bullfrog Swamp cache temporarily until I can replace the cache container. I have posted a SBA note on his cache to alert the approvers to the issues I have with it. I have also emailed mtn-man directly to explain some of the other problems w/the cache itself.

Silent Bob
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did I tell you I thought it was strange? Wink The strangeness, I guess doesn't fit into one post! I trashed out the food items he placed in the cache. Probably not a good idea.

Also, he lists in his description that before he placed it he saw "beer drinking litter at nearby trash-stash!" So instead of taking a bag on the next trip to trash it out, he put a cache there! Weird!!!

I will also say that the cache itself is actually well done, for a basic traditional cache.

You'd think if he puts all this time into creating a multi cache (despite hijacking someone else's cache as part of their multi and using half of his online effort advertising different sites of his and causes he supports), he'd take the time to actually do some trash-out himself!

Also, buried in his cache description is this image:

http://img.groundspeak.com/cache/7519a767-bd12-40d5-a8eb-f56a7917361d.jpg

with the description: "Nine-Mile Creek North Branch Trailhead MN9MEA."

WEIRD! Looks like someone's track through a residential area.

If you visit more of the sites he links to, it gets even more confusing.

This multi-cache boggles my mind! I wanna figure out what's going through this guy's brain.

Depending on where I'm caching this Sunday I may bring some bags and trash it all out. Probably leave the cache there, though.

-Aaron
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This gets better.

<--snip-->
Subject: [GEO] EcoTrekUSA contacting you from Geocaching.com

--This message was sent through the Geocaching.com web site--

Found major trash stash located near GC3367 upon first visiting Jeremiah the Bullfrog Swamp on New Year's day & found NO "trash-out" bags ...

Got City of Bloomington's Public works to install dispenser at archery range parking lot as anchor point for this "new" Ecocache/Multicache ...

For all I know, college students or summer geocacher's used this site as their favorite beer drinking & watering hole!

Open to creative suggestions on how to improve or revise this off-shoot of ongointg Adopt-A-Wetland program ...
<--snip-->

Wow, he would go as far to say that "summer geocacher[s]" would make a "major trash stash." So he finds it - and then puts a cache in the trash, without trashing it out.

Glad he got this dispenser or whatever installed. It just looked like a geocache strapped to a post in the parking lot to me.

...and what am I missing here... "off-shoot of [ongoing] Adopt-A-Wetland program"? Is that CITO? Geocaching? Perhaps he has this confused too.

Mind boggling.

-Aaron
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused Hmmmmmmm.........
Thanks for checking this out. I thought this guy was affiliated with the Boy Scouts somehow.
Guess I needed to investigate further before automatically thinking he was doing good. My fault.
murph
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being new to this group I noticed on GC.com there is a National CITO day April 17th. Does the Minnesota Group paritcipate in this or because they have their own monthly one do they not participate?

murph
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:37 pm    Post subject: email received... Reply with quote

I am absolutely mind-blown in dealing with this person. I have no idea what he is talking about in this email. Perhaps one of you can help?

Silent Bob

Subject: [GEO] EcoTrekUSA contacting you from Geocaching.com

--This message was sent through the Geocaching.com web site--

Please press "F5-Key" to replace the prior (offensive) cache description & suggest those revisions you'd prefer to help GeoScouts exercise http://www.lnt/org practices during future MnGCA CITOday events ...

You're welcome to "own" co-located mulitcaches located near a Bloomington City Park in the Nine-Mile Creek Watershed District ...

FYI - It's registered to Viking Council BSA's Dan Patch District under the MnPCA-Public Works "Adopt-A-Wetland" program!

BURK at 952-888-xxxx /
Penn Lake Highlands Hyperport-55431
http://HyperortCO.futurethought.org
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: