MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Geocoin voting
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject: Geocoin voting Reply with quote

I'm just curious as to how many of those that thought they were already registered to vote now won't be able to due to the changes the MNGCA board made.

Lets see how many this change affects!

I'll be # 1
Rouster
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no longer a member, but I can still post here.

s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Geocoin voting Reply with quote

loneeagle_24 wrote:
I'm just curious as to how many of those that thought they were already registered to vote now won't be able to due to the changes the MNGCA board made.

http://www.mngca.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=18855#18855

sui generis wrote:
Despite the links provided to the information given way back when, etc. People are still claiming they received no notice.

Quote:
Due to requirements created in the Bylaws we have updated the registration information form that most of you have filled out when signing up for the website. The form now includes three check boxes at the bottom that ask for some important information that helps us to determine if you are an eligible MnGCA Voting Member and whether you would like to be contacted with important Association news. The first checkbox is to verify that you are 18 years of age or older, the second is to verify that you agree to the terms listed in the MnGCA Bylaws, and the third is to let us know if you would like to be contacted with important Association news (i.e. nominations, voting, or dissolution). While you are not required to agree to the E-mail Usage Policy you must be 18+ and agree to the Bylaws in order to vote in elections.

You can not be "grandfathered" in. The organization was incorporated. In theory, we all ceased to be members at that point, as the organization that was born was brand new. To make the transition as seamless as possible, the board in controlat that time opted to allow people to vote while warning them to provide the information if they wanted to continue to do so. The other option would have been to simply reset everyone to zero status. Then the first hint of inelligibility would have been the denial to vote at the general election. Instead, you wind up not being able to vote for a coin. If the coin is SO important to you that you feel the need to get this upset, why didn't you join the committee to help create it? The snippet posted above and taken from the post warning the forum users clearly indicates what you needed to verify and/or agree to to be a voting member. Another warning, or a warning posted elsewhere likely would have made no difference. The important part is, you have discovered the problem with your membership status and fixed it. Move on.

loneeagle_24 wrote:
Lets see how many this change affects!

This change will affect everyone who didn't care, never logged in or didn't understand their MnGCA membership. It won't affect anyone who paid attention to all the notices and information about it.

If you really wanted, I bet Silent Bob could give you a pretty close count as to how many people decided not to elect to be MnGCA Members or otherwise neglect to declare themselves as such. That'd be just as much of a waste of time as this thread, though.

-Aaron
pto
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you really wanted, I bet Silent Bob could give you a pretty close count as to how many people decided not to elect to be MnGCA Members or otherwise neglect to declare themselves as such. That'd be just as much of a waste of time as this thread, though.

All this dissent from the vocal minority ..... such a waste of time....
a pattern emerging?
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pto wrote:
All this dissent from the vocal minority ..... such a waste of time.... a pattern emerging?

Yes, everytime there is some trollfest about MnGCA business, you being someone who has openly said you have no interest in being a member, continually make posts that contribute nothing to the greater good.

Time to stop the pattern.
pto
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The greater good ? OK SB- I wont comment anymore.
tomslusher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I stated in a previous post the whole thing got pretty confusing for me, although personally I don't care about a geocoin.

I still can't even get the new message notifications (orange thingies) to work right since the big changes.

I must be pretty stupid I guess, or because I didn't vote my opinion means absolutely nothing, you chose,

tomslusher
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomslusher wrote:
I still can't even get the new message notifications (orange thingies) to work right since the big changes.

Since you might not have seen it elsewhere. Log out of the forum, clear cookies on ALL of your computers that you access the forum from, and log back in.

You should be all set.

Hope that helps.
tomslusher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Since you might not have seen it elsewhere. Log out of the forum, clear cookies on ALL of your computers that you access the forum from, and log back in.

I did see the instructions posted earlier and tried a variation of it. Can't I just clear any cookie with the word "mngca" in it? Must not because that is what I did and it doesn't seem to work.

I would rather not clear all cookies, some I actually use (you may find that hard to believe, but I do like some of them. mainly, I can't remember some of my logins and passwords on other sites and I don't want to relog them in)

tomslusher
Dances With Beehives
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

You can add me to this list.
But you know what?
It really doesnít bother me. Iím glad it opened my eyes to the changes made.
If I was concerned about the coin, Iíd have tried to get on the committee, or even submitted a design, like I did for the Minnesota statehood quarter.

Iím going way off topic here and giving a cheer to the people who are sticking so much time and thought into the organization. Thanks!
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notice from the Geocoin Committee

Quote:
"It has come to our attention that an unforseen interpretation of membership in the MnGCA has exluded many individuals from helping us select a coin that will represent our organization and state to the geocaching community at large. This part of the process should include as many people as possible, not exclude them. As such we are opening the voting process to ANY member of the MnGCA who was eligible to vote in the fall board elections. We hope that this move will help us present a coin that all Minnesota geocachers can be proud of. This is after all a recreational pastime for many of us, not a life or death matter."

As such I will be working with the webmaster to open the permissions of the voting forum to those that met the definition of MnGCA member at the time of the Fall Membership meeting. Hopefully, that within the next week all those individuals that had met that criteria will see the vote forum. The voting period will not be extended beyond 14 November.

Geocoin Committee Chairman
tomslusher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now this is what I am talking about. Someone actually listened to the membership. It took quite a lot of bitching, but someone actually sat back and thought maybe things could have been done better. While I understand this didn't come from the board but from the comittee, hopefully we will see more of this, and from the board too.

While I will not be voting because the geocoin is not something I am concerned with and I don't want to negate someone elses vote that does care, I really do appriciate the openness and willingness to react to the members concerns.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

tomslusher
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Now this is what I am talking about. Someone actually listened to the membership. It took quite a lot of bitching, but someone actually sat back and thought maybe things could have been done better.

I appreciate this! My faith in the organization has been restored. Let's hope things can move on from here. aybe some of those that decided to go "Cache Games Only" may come back. We can only hope.

Thanks to those that listened.
Wayfarin Stranger
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not me....
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several instances of the 2005 and 2006 boards listening to the membership and making things better. Look at absentee voting. This is something we've wanted since the inception of the association but we (members of earlier boards, myself included) couldn't figure out a good way to do it (year 1) and/or didn't try.

Sure, last year alienated many of us - myself included. My major beef was with the inconsistent and at times condescending communication from individuals on the board.

But they did try. They even succeeded at many of their goals and got a lot of measurable work done. For that I applaud them. Could they have focused on goecaching goals rather than association administration? Sure. But that is not what they thought should have been done and at least they did something. I give them credit for this. And the association may even be stronger for it. Time will tell.

I'm going to give them a chance this year and I hope others do as well. I'm hopeful that this board works on items that the membership feels are important and I believe that they are doing this.

Give them a break - they have only been in office for a matter of days.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Travel Bugs All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: