MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aide to the USA-Katrina

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:21 pm    Post subject: Aide to the USA-Katrina Reply with quote

I am not being sarcastic or tongue on cheek- I am honestly asking: Has any other country offered to send aide to the USA in what ever form to help out with the aftermath of Katrina Question If so, which ones?
dmnrec
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been watching alot of CNN lately and an hour ago, one of their newspeople asked the same thing..basically wanted people to email in and say whether other countries should help us out..he said if anyone said no, then don't write again..since we have helped every other country out, including enemies....Germany Red Cross has offered to come over, but no one has contacted them yet.
jrest
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was asking this same question around the water cooler at work today. Nobody could answer a yes to this one, albiet this was not a very scientific survey.
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you really expect nation to step up a volunteer to help. They didn't after Andrew or Hugo or the California fires so why would you expect them to now.

Your not being sarcastic, it's a reality. They all expect us to help and are sure fast to hold there hand out. But they won't offer. Sure the Germans are willing to send over some of their Red Cross. Why not. 70% of all the funds the Red Cross gets comes from the USA.
Buzzygirl
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcticabn wrote:
Did you really expect nation to step up a volunteer to help. They didn't after Andrew or Hugo or the California fires so why would you expect them to now.

We actually have gotten a couple of foreign aid offers... check this out; from Venezuela, of all places... guess they forgave and forgot "Reverend" Robertson's recent remarks...

http://www.forbes.com/home/feeds/afx/2005/08/31/afx2199612.html

The king of Saudi Arabia phoned the president and said they would attempt to increase oil production to help offset spiraling prices.

So far, I'm reading about lots of sympathy, but little actual aid pledged from other lands. Looks like the Swiss want to help if they can... from reading this article, I take this to mean average citizens, not the government:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050831/ap_on_re_eu/hurricane_katrina_world_hk4

We're used to being on the giving side of things, that's for sure.
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Canada:

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20050831_katrina_template_050831?s_name=&no_ads=

-Aaron
Buzzygirl
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good.

The thought occurred to me that maybe they should be consulting Dutch engineers about the levee problem. They've got tons of experience with holding back the sea. I think most of the Netherlands (at least near the coastline) is below sea level.
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CNN is scrolling the countries who have offered help and what that help is-everything from money to troops to supplies and Ms Rice says all will be excepted- I wonder about the troops part of it?
jrest
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got a note from my dad. Sounds like my brother-in-law, who is a captain in the Los Angeles City Fire Department is mobilizing to Mississippi today, should be out there for a couple of weeks with some of his crew. He is part of the LA City Urban Search and Rescue team. Hope they do well, and things get settled down quickly.
pto
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My buddy in the Natl Guard is being deployed Sept 19 - he was first to be sent to Mississippi to train for 6 months, then be sent to Iraq, etc-

Now, he thinks he may be sent to Mississippi to begin immediate work there.
Im VERY happy about this - not only for my freind Not having to go to war, (at least not right away) but for the fact that our Natl Guard will get to DO IT's REAL DUTY, and help OUR country when it needs it.
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pto wrote:
...but for the fact that our Natl Guard will get to DO IT's REAL DUTY, and help OUR country when it needs it.

Hats off to that. Iraq is chaos, yes, but so is Mississippi and the NOLA area right now.

-Aaron
ice tres
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out Hurricanehousing.org, a project of moveon.org. Amazing generosity. Real help from real people.
15Tango
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My employer is about as Scotch as they come (he probably still has the first nickle he ever earned), but he's going to match any donations my co-workers and I make to the relief effort.
ice tres
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cuba offered over 1000 doctors skilled in tropical water-borne disease.

US didn't respond.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Non Geocaching All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: