MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pocket Query Scheduling

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: Pocket Query Scheduling Reply with quote

For those that haven't noticed in their pocket queries, there is now a link in each email that you need to click on to keep the query on the schedule. I just want to alert you to the fact that things are changing - see your PQ emails for details.

This started about a week ago. Those that don't keep their PQs on the schedule will probably notice that they stop coming any day now..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
RINO SHAWN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Pear Head! I noticed the message when I recieved my last PQ.

Probably more of a Sunrise issue / don't know if it's related or not but: After I sent my last PQ to GSAK...(went there fine and updated database as always) I tried to send the updated database from GSAK to Sunrise desktop (so that I can hotsync to my Palm Pilot like I always do)
I now get an error and Sunrise does not get updated...Said something about memory???
Just curious if anyone else just recently had this problem (that are using GSAK/Sunrise/Plucker)

Note: my database has grown to just over 3200 caches now...Is Sunrise not capable of handling that much info on 1 file?

I went in to "preferances" and chose an option to compress info...It transferred...but now it leaves out the links for "Hints"....and is al in "text" (no more symbols for smiley faces for found or did not find, etc.)

If this needs to go to a different thread...just let me know

Shawn

Rolling Eyes
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RINO SHAWN wrote:
Thanks Pear Head! I noticed the message when I recieved my last PQ.

Probably more of a Sunrise issue / don't know if it's related or not but: After I sent my last PQ to GSAK...(went there fine and updated database as always) I tried to send the updated database from GSAK to Sunrise desktop (so that I can hotsync to my Palm Pilot like I always do)
I now get an error and Sunrise does not get updated...Said something about memory???
Just curious if anyone else just recently had this problem (that are using GSAK/Sunrise/Plucker)

Note: my database has grown to just over 3200 caches now...Is Sunrise not capable of handling that much info on 1 file?

I ran into that when trying to update a large file in Sunrise (I think it was the St. Louis County benchmark file). There is a setting that you can adjust, I just don't remember off the top of my head where it is... Something to do with memory though.. Java is only letting Sunrise use a set amount of memory. On a large file Sunrise is trying to surpass that. Somewhere you can change the setting. Next time I update I'll try and remember where that setting was.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
RINO SHAWN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Pear Head! Let me know if you find it....I will "fumble around" meanwhile and see if I can figure it out. Confused

Shawn
RINO SHAWN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. I tinkered some with no improvement...the message I am getting is:

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError

I went in to the frequently asked questions part of Sunrise (chose Help in toolbar)

It came up with this:

Why do I get "java.lang.OutOfMemoryError" messages when I try to convert large documents?

Sunrise is unsuitable for converting large documents. This is because the core JPluck library, responsible for generating Plucker documents, makes wasteful use of memory. (This cannot be fixed without rewriting the library itself, which is a <em>huge</em> amount of work.)</p> <p>To prevent memory usage from running out of control, Sunrise Desktop allocates only a limited amount of system memory. (This limit can be raised, but then overall memory usage could easily shoot up to hundreds of MBs.)</p> <p>Bottom line: you should use Sunrise only for converting typical PDA-optimized websites and RSS/Atom newsfeeds.</p> <div class="note"> <p>The library for my own viewer's format will use <em>much</em> less memory. Memory usage will not be a problem then.</p>

Shocked

Anybody know what I sould do?? Rolling Eyes (or how to decipher that info into something I understand)

Shawn
RINO SHAWN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The file size I am currently trying to process with Sunrise is 6383 kb
(all of the caches in Minnesota...and 500 caches in Wisconsin)
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to look, but I'm thinking one of my files is around 12mb. I haven't done an update yet to the palm (I do them once every week or two but am very sporadic) so I haven't had a chance to look yet.
RINO SHAWN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'd have to look, but I'm thinking one of my files is around 12mb. I haven't done an update yet to the palm (I do them once every week or two but am very sporadic) so I haven't had a chance to look yet.

I'm thinking on just temporarily "streamlining" 1 of my pocket queries down to make the file smaller and "buy me some time"....My main original plan was to just have all the caches in Minnesota on the palm....but since I go camping every weekend real close to your Grace's Lake cache, I added a Wisconsin pocket querie starting from Grace Lake Cache ..to...nearest Wisconsin 500.

I doubt that I will ever venture far enough away from Danbury to need that many caches in the querie. That should hopefully get the file size down just enough to still keep all the MN caches (and a little more) to transfer ok.

No need to have to hurry.....' Cool
RINO SHAWN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick update.....I "fine tuned" my 1 Wisconsin pocket querie to just a 50 mile radius of the closest cache by the campground I frequent. (It's actually in Minnesota but you can darn near throw a rock and have it land in Wisconsin)......

Just this one adjustment lowered my file size for Sunrise enough....It transferred with no problems....I was able to hot sync the palm and have the detail I liked back again. Very Happy

It lowered my GSAK database from just over 3200 caches to just shy of 2800 caches. The file size went down from 6383 kb to 5522 kb

This will work for me just fine until I find a better way of doing it. Smile
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you export your GSAK database you can set up the filters to restrict the database size as well - you shouldn't need to modify your PQs.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the menu where Sunrise was installed (Start/Programs/Sunrise) I have an icon for Memory Configuration. I have mine set to 512mb.
RINO SHAWN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Thanks Pear Head!

I will give it a try.

Shawn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Geocaching Websites All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: