MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Geocoins via Trading Groups

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Geocoins Reply with quote

Maybe SB can break this off into a thread under TBs...

KC0GRN wrote:
Pear Head wrote:
Can you tell us more about the group?

Only that there's a hefty waiting list to get in it, originally it was a group of 10 cachers nationwide, I happened to get lucky and be one of the first 10 to email the coordinator (nursedave) and get in it. Since then they've added about 10 more people to the list, as Nursedave thinks he can handle it.

Wow.. That sounds like a pretty exclusive club!
Quote:
There is a geocoin club thing starting up

http://www.geocoinclub.com/code.php

more of a subscription based service, you get a new coin every month.

I looked at what they have. Looks very interesting.

I've always liked the idea of geocoins, although I've always been afraid that they would go missing a lot faster than regular TBs do.

After looking at the geocoinclub coins, I would also wonder how a coin shaped like an ammo box (instead of being round) would do? Would people know it's a trackable coin, or would it never move? Would it be picked up and never placed? Hmm...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: Geocoins Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
Wow.. That sounds like a pretty exclusive club!

not really, it's more of an issue of dealing with money and shipping, gets to be a bit for one person to do, even if nursedave is really motivated, still a lot of work, hence the smaller group.

Pear Head wrote:
I looked at what they have. Looks very interesting.

I've always liked the idea of geocoins, although I've always been afraid that they would go missing a lot faster than regular TBs do.

After looking at the geocoinclub coins, I would also wonder how a coin shaped like an ammo box (instead of being round) would do? Would people know it's a trackable coin, or would it never move? Would it be picked up and never placed? Hmm...

That's the trick, it's almost a waste of money to make coins trackable via gc.com, as none of them really end up in caches persay, except as FTF prizes. Take a look at the survival rate of even a run of the mill usa geocoin, only about 50%.

Okay I edited my post so the coins I'm selling are back in the right area.

Last edited by KC0GRN on Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

more of a subscription based service, you get a new coin every month.

thats cool!
pto
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems kinda commercial to me.
Nice coins tho
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Travel Bugs All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: