MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pacific Coast Travel Tips???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaywc7
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject: Pacific Coast Travel Tips??? Reply with quote

Hey Eveyone. Got my fiance` flying down the end of July to AZ. I'm thinking of surprising her, and driving up the Pacific Coast on our way back to MN. I'm just wondering if anyone has any good travel tips, or points of interest we should check out on the way? I would sure appreciate any reccommendations. My only checkpoints so far, are the Golden Gate Bridge, the Spruce Goose Museum in Oregon, and the Boeing Aviation Musem in Seattle. Here's my planned route :

jaywc7
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the girly with, I'm sure we'll be stopping in Napa Valley too... Cool
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long (in time) is this trip supposed to take? You've picked out a number of things, such as 15 which I assume is Yellowstone, that I wouldn't attempt unless I had a minimum of 2 days just to see the basics.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jaywc7
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the points on the map don't neccesarily represent a point I'm stopping at. They are just waypoints to direct the course on the roads I wish to take so it doesn't auto-route to the fastest route. My main goal is the Pac Coast. Yellowstone would be grand, but like you pointed out,,, it's a week long trip in my mind. I'm moreso looking for stop and go points like the Golden Gate Bridge and such. The trip will be short on time (about a week). So some of the larger interest points, like Glacier Nat Park and such will have to wait until another time. I'm thinking of maybe cutting San D. out though to save some time. Also, I think I won't be able to drive 1 the whole way. It's just too slow. I'll have to pick and choose sections to drive for the given period of time...

I will certainly drive right by some cool things, and miss lots, but hey, it beats Oklahoma City! Laughing
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been to Seattle a couple times. You might find the underground tour interesting if you like history, think it takes about an hour or two to do (it's scheduled).

Can't think of too much more, geocaching wise there's the original stash plaque (where the 1st geocache was hidden) in oregon,

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=a79d6f50-74a6-4c85-b18c-86dd8b7313ab
jaywc7
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooo... Those both sound interesting, and fairly quick hits. I might have to check them out... Searching web for underground tour now. Thanks!
miles58
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After you cross the bridge follow the coast to Mt Tamalpais and enjoy the redwoods then Bodega Bay is a nice little town for a meal.
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Pacific Coast Travel Tips??? Reply with quote

jaywc7 wrote:
Got my fiance` flying down the end of July to AZ. I'm thinking of surprising her, and driving up the Pacific Coast on our way back to MN. I'm just wondering if anyone has any good travel tips...

Do it by bicycle. I've biked the stretch from Medford, OR to L.A. Best two weeks of my life.
jambro
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up in San Diego, so I can point you to numerous places there to hang if you're interested. No point in going in depth here, but let me know.
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being from Montana, and having family that moved here to Minnesota 10 years before I did, I'd suggest taking I90 through South Dakota rather than I94 through North Dakota--it's not that much farther, and you can hit the Devil's Tower, Mount Rushmore, and Crazy Horse all within half a day--Wall Drug is kinda corny, but still worth a stop, and crossing the Missouri is much more scenic is So.Dak. than it is in No.Dak. Other than the badlands in Western No.Dak., that drive is pretty booooorrrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiing.
Mario and Princess Peach
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a lovely trip. Nappa valley is very romantic. Sipping wine and wondering around vinyards. It feels like you're in a movie (or maybe I sipped too much- either way, lots of fun). Very Happy
jrest
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up in Long Beach and have made the trip you are talking about, up the coast into Vancouver, a couple times on my motorcycle. If you cruise up Highway One, think about getting on it north of San Luis Obispo, and off north of San Francisco. Head up the 101 north of San Francisco (slower than interstate 5, but a whole lot prettier). Keep going on this road and you will go through the redwood state forest, and then at Crescent City head NE on highway 199 through the Six Rivers NF. All I can say is WOW, it is really beautiful.

You could take a tour through the Hearst Castle (San Simeon). If you like split pea soup stop in Buelton at Anderson's resturant, really good soup. If on Hwy 1, there is a also a really good ice cream place in Cambria.

If you end up in a hurry, and are headed up Interstate 5, north of Sacramento, you should swing through Lassen Volcanic NP, and Mt. Lassen, a little out of the way, but worth the side trip.

Those are just some thoughts, and interesting places.
jaywc7
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

15Tango wrote:
Being from Montana, and having family that moved here to Minnesota 10 years before I did, I'd suggest taking I90 through South Dakota rather than I94 through North Dakota--it's not that much farther, and you can hit the Devil's Tower, Mount Rushmore, and Crazy Horse all within half a day--Wall Drug is kinda corny, but still worth a stop, and crossing the Missouri is much more scenic is So.Dak. than it is in No.Dak. Other than the badlands in Western No.Dak., that drive is pretty booooorrrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiing.

Been through that area way too many times! Seen everything listed.
I'm anticipating North Dakota to be extremely boring... But it's on the list!
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaywc7 wrote:
I'm anticipating North Dakota to be extremely boring...

Eh, I wouldn't pass judgement on it until you've experienced it anyway. Who knows, maybe there's something interesting to see there, and people usually miss it because they generally think the whole state is boring.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC0GRN wrote:
Eh, I wouldn't pass judgement on it until you've experienced it anyway. Who knows, maybe there's something interesting to see there, and people usually miss it because they generally think the whole state is boring.

I've been there multiple times. I have family from Dawson, ND (an hour east of Bismark on 94) through to Fargo and points in between.

I've travelled all of I-94 in North Dakota, as well as part of I-29.

What again was interesting? Smile I suppose there are interesting features off of the interstates.

I just remember it being a LONG drive. Of course I wasn't caching back then.. It is probably a lot more interesting now. Funny how caching brings you to some of the neat places..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Non Geocaching All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: