MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HOW TO use a BBQ grill to heat a pool

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mario and Princess Peach
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: HOW TO use a BBQ grill to heat a pool Reply with quote

I just thought this was interesting and, perhaps, has some application here in Minnesota. Laughing

Todd Harrison hacked a pool heater out of his backyard barbecue grill:

http://members.cox.net/toddharrison/Grill_Heater/index.html
Normally you can't swim in our pool until June because it's just to cold (68F - 75F). I like swimming in about 80F to 85F myself, if it's sunny and warm out. I created a prototype heater coil that seemed to work for its size. I then create a large heater coil out of 180 feet of copper tubing that connects to my pool pump using a garden hose and fits inside the grill. The hose runs from the pump through the grill heater coils and then into the pool. I heated my pool from 68F to 89.4F in 48 hours using 3.5 tanks of propane.

The device heats water 30 to 35 degrees at 3 to 4 gallons per minute flow. I find I get a 7 degree increase in my 8000 gallon pool for each 5 gallon tank of propane. Each tank will burn for about 13 to 15 hours on high. A pool cover is required...

The coils come out and the grill converts back to cooking in less then 3 minutes which includes cool-down and draining the coils.
RINO SHAWN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda reminds me of the time I helped a friend build his own in floor heat for his garage in the home they were building....We used a hot water heater to heat the grid we designed and layed down just before the guys poured the cement...To my knowledge, it is still working just fine.
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heated my pool from 68F to 89.4F in 48 hours using 3.5 tanks
of propane.

$$$$$
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Non Geocaching All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: