MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Found a what I am assuming is a benchmark

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Msea
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject: Found a what I am assuming is a benchmark Reply with quote

I found one on one of the new bridges on Seven Bridges Road, I can't get the pic off the cameral though. I assume it's a benchmark. I thought it might be a replacement for an old one listed, but it must be new. Do you report it anywhere or anything?
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can claim it as a BM 'find' at gc.com if you like, but their database only goes up to something like November of 2001. If it's newer than that then it won't be in their database.

You can also report it to NGS if you like, and there are a lot of different views on this, but typically if it's a new BM then you wouldn't want to do that.

You can do some searching for the BM on gc.com in the benchmark section. You can also search for BMs from the cache page (there is a link to search for nearby BMs). Make sure before you log it that you have the correct BM - if it's in a bridge built around 2005 and the BM page says it was monumented in 1934 then it's probably not the same one...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Msea
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the benchmark page on GC.com after I posted, I figured it out. Thanks for the help.
EskoClimber
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: RESET Benchmarks Reply with quote

It is a common practice for new marks to be set in bridges during repairs. The old marks are often destroyed or "buried" in new concrete and are unusable.
It is uncommon to find an older benchmark, particularily one that can be logged that doesn't have a designation stamped on it. If the benchmark is unstamped, it will be so stated in the description.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Benchmarking All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: