MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

maps.google.com
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really cook, sir_zman! How did you create that xml?

(for anyone that wants to see his xml, just remove everything from the URL before and including the question mark, then hit GO )
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:32 pm    Post subject: update! Reply with quote

I read the post above about google letting you use their API to develop maps, so I tried that and I think this looks even better, it can take a while to load all the map points. This is the first 10 pages of results around eden prairie. Click on a point to see the name and position. Once I code this, it was very easy to add waypoints.
Sir_Zmans Map.
Let me know what you think. Post, email or IM, thanks.[/url]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To create the XML I took the normal LOC download from geocaching.com and just changed it to match the expected names for mygmaps.com. But with the second post I just made, I am able to use the LOC file from geocaching.com and the only thing I have to change is the following:
Code:

<name id="GCGHHW"><![CDATA[Vista Cache by JT]]></name>

to

<name text="GCGHHW - Vista Cache by JT"/>

A simple replace takes care of that.

Some times there are double quotes in the cache name, that messes stuff up, so I just validate the code prior to using it, and it all works out ok...you can use Firefox to validate the code, it tells you the line number of problems.

And then of course, I need to rename the file to filename.xml
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject: Google Map Bookmarklet Reply with quote

A guy by the name of Avantbard posted a link on the geocache.com forums about a "bookmarklet" he wrote to parse out the longitude and latitude from a cache page and call Google maps with them:

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=100483&st=0&#entry1566927

(direct link to his page)

http://avantbard.com/

However, it doesn't work for me with IE 6, unfortunately.

(for those that haven't heard about them yet, "bookmarklets" are short javascripts that you can save as a Favorite, and run them by "loading" them like you would a Favorite. The scripts can do just about anything, but generally affect the page that you're viewing at the time. There are some very cool ones out there if you look!)
jaywc7
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am able to now zoom into an area, and
switch to satellite view, which gives me a better view of the
surrounding terrain that I will be going into.

This is really brilliant! I hate not knowing the sort of terrain I'm going to be traveling through. This could have saved me many a walk through swamps, over cliffs, and things of that nature... Good info to know! Thanks!
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps this is getting a bit off topic, and I suppose everyone here checks the groundspeak forums, but I thought I'd call your attention to a recently posted messabe about another REALLY cool gps mapping site :

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=102133
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! I might just have to play with that site a bit. Still waiting on google earth... darned downloads....
jaywc7
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Still waiting on google earth... darned downloads....

Yep... sucks... Rolling Eyes
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC0GRN wrote:
Nice! I might just have to play with that site a bit. Still waiting on google earth... darned downloads....

Yeah... THAT'LL help with those darned downloads! Laughing
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can map by coords, either lat,long in decimal or in this format (right off of geocaching.com)

N 44 53.309 W 093 28.034

OR (I Think this works)
NDD MM SS, WDD MM SS

Or am I misunderstanding what you mean by mapping by coords.

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
Well it's a bit difficult when maps.google.com doesn't support mapping by coords. I suggest "sending feedback" and mentioning that.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sir_zman wrote:
You can map by coords, either lat,long in decimal or in this format (right off of geocaching.com)

N 44 53.309 W 093 28.034

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:09 am

At that time you could only do it by decimal degrees and it was only out to the public for a short while. I realize now that there is quite a bit more information (and improvements made) but I appreciate your posting it here.
Mario and Princess Peach
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some interesting info I just came across:

-------------------
Mapping Hacks
This time last year, I met PERL wizard Rich Gibson at Dorkbot and he told me that he had just started work on a Mapping Hacks book for O'Reilly. Last week, I had the opportunity to peruse the finished book, co-written with Schuyler Erle and Jo Walsh. As a "map curious" newcomer to digital cartography, I can say with certainty that it's an engaging and downright inspiring book. From Google Maps to Dodgeball, location-enhanced technologies are all the rage these days. But it's easy to get lost in the hype of geocoding, Geographic Information Systems, and even GPS. Fortunately, as with the other books in O'Reilly's Hacks series, Mapping Hacks is all about learning by doing.

The hacks range from gems like #7, perfectly titled "Will the Kids Barf?" (how to create an index of road curvedness), to "#39 View Your Photo Thumbnails on a Flash Map," to "#76 Explore the Effects of Global Warming." I'm told that even experienced map hackers will get off on the open source GIS tricks, geocoding Web hacks, and other technical material. For me though, Mapping Hacks is a perfect compass to guide me into the realm of digital cartography with plenty of welcome rest stops and fun tourist attractions along the way.

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/mappinghks/

http://mappinghacks.com/
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For all you firefox users out there. Got this from the national forums. I tried it out and it works good, pulled up google earth and the cache coords. Kinda fun to play with.

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=103064&st=0&#entry1589694

Quote:
If you use Firefox, I've recently updated my "Geocaching Map Linker" GreaseMonkey script to support links to Google Earth.

If you've not got GreaseMonkey, you'll need to grab it from http://greasemonkey.mozdev.org/

Once GreaseMonkey is installed, right click the link below and choose "Install User Script..."

http://files.dixo.net/GeocachingMapLinker.user.js

A dialog will appear showing the script name and the pages it will modify - to confirm you want to install, click OK.

Once installed, visit a cache page, click the "Google Earth" link and you'll probably be prompted what you want to do - allow it to open the file with Google Earth, and for ease of use, tick the box to say you always want to do that.

Now, whenever you click those links, Google Earth will pop up and smoothly transport you to the cache site, planting a flag at the cache coordinates along with a short description and link to the main cache page.

Links are added to Google Earths's "Temporary Places", if you want to keep them, just drag them into another folder in the Places pane.

Try it, you'll love it! I've using it to place a caching trip to Washington DC!
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you using GreaseMonkey: http://www.mozdev.org/pipermail/greasemonkey/2005-July/004033.html
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://greasemonkey.mozdev.org/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: