MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

July 2005 COTM -- VOTE HERE

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which cache should be the July 2005 Cache of the Month?
Coon Rapids Lost Cache (and the 10 cachlings) by Sleepless
46%
 46%  [ 7 ]
My Dear Watson, 2nd Edition by brjzn
26%
 26%  [ 4 ]
Tradecraft 101 by Arcticabn
26%
 26%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 15

Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: July 2005 COTM -- VOTE HERE Reply with quote

I no particular order (actually, they are in the order I received them), the nominations are:

Coon Rapids Lost Cache (and the 10 cachlings) by Sleepless
Nominated by jambro and KC0GRN

jambro says:
"Very well done series, tough to put together all the clues for the coords for final, nice park areas, a combo of small/micro/puzzle caches. Theme worked well and I had a lot of fun - that's what counts to me!"

KC0GRN says:
"This is the final part of a unique series in the Coon Rapids area. It is loosely themed on the game "Clue". The goal is to go to the 10 other caches in the series and gather clues to the location of the final. The caches are all within a few miles of each other, and the series can easily be completed in a day. It still provides a challenge, both in locating the caches, and using your noggin to figure out how the game works (but seriously it isn't that hard, and there are plenty of instructions on the cache page). The 10 caches are also a good mix of traditional, puzzles, and multis (the puzzle ones aren't too tough to figure out, just make sure you do your prep work before beginning).

Personally I enjoyed the series enough that I made the final my 900th find, and I would recommend it to anyone, from a seasoned veteran cacher to the cachers just starting out."

My Dear Watson, 2nd Edition by brjzn, with an assist from RJ
Nominated by GPSr

Although I currently have only 330 finds under my belt, I think this is the most creative two-stage mystery cache I have ever attempted. The way brjzn spelled out the final coordinates, by utilizing the unique features of this area, is truly amazing. I'm not much for solving puzzles so, of course, I needed a few hints. Brjzn was very helpful to me by phone which was much appreciated. A couple days later I finally figured it out after receiving an email from him. However, I feel like I'd be cheating if I went and logged it now. So even though I'm nominating it for COTM I haven't actually located the final. This is a great park with a trail system that takes you through varying terrain features. Give it a try, it's worth the trip even if you don't find the final like me.

Borrowing a quote from Dyl1231 "This is the best cache I've never found!"

"Tradecraft 101" by "The Handler" (aka Arcticabn)
Nominated by Marsha and Silent Bob

Are you a geocaching nut case? Summer heat and bugs getting to you? Looking for a cache that you can do without ever touching a blade of grass covered in ticks and mosquitoes? Perhaps you are a puzzle lover and are in need of a challenge? Maybe you just want to do a cache that will likely lead you all over without really taking you anywhere at all?

Well, if any of that sounds good, I have the cache for you! "Tradecraft 101" by "The Handler" (aka Arcticabn) is one of the most interesting and well crafted geocaches I have ever found. Not being much for puzzles I had to have my hand held through the first part and while most cachers have no problems after that I still had to have help making it through the second stage! After that it was smooth cachin'!

This cache takes you through the Urban Sprawl Jungle that is Apple Valley. You will be caching in plain view of thousands of people passing by! You will be looking for well hidden and tricky stages! You will be scratching your head for weeks, months, possibly even years!

I found the first stage of this cache soon after it hit the streets (literally) back in August of 2004. I had been trying to solve the cipher sheet without help for months. Finally, after much disgust with my puzzle solving abilities I begged, pleaded, and got on my knees for a hint (ok, he'll just give you one if you ask but it doesn't sound as good) I ended up solving it soon after that and spent several more weeks completely stumped on the second stage due to my inability to think outside the box!

The rest of the cache was easier but the final was one of those out in the open well hidden hides that just makes you go hmmm...

So, if you're looking for something to do this summer and you don't want to encounter trees, ticks, bugs, or grass, this is the cache for you!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Paklid
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:38 pm    Post subject: Tough choice Reply with quote

I've done Tradecraft and Watson. I loved both of them. Both have some unique twists and turns. This is a tough choice for me I cast my vote for one of them but can guarantee you that if you have what it takes to finish either, you will feel like you've accomplished something and you'll have a GREAT time doing it.
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suggestion -----
WGA gives out these cute little ribbons to be added to the cache page of the caches that win their COTM. It's a real nice touch and I think it positively promotes the WGA.

(this example was taken off of "Hello Wisconsin" cache page)

Maybe MNGCA could adopt something similar or just a little gif incorporating the MNGCA logo with the COTM month/year? I'm sure there are one or two graphic artists among the members here who could come up with something interesting.

You could also consider runner-up images with the date and year. That would be cool for those that were nominated and it will help point out the great caches for those who don't read or follow the forums.
Have the image link over to the association website to promote the activities of the MNGCA.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Wayfarin Stranger
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I volunteered a few months ago to design some small graphics and did submit one for review, but was told someone else would do it. I haven't seen anything since.
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You could also consider runner-up images with the date and year. That would be cool for those that were nominated and it will help point out the great caches for those who don't read or follow the forums.

This would be a great idea so that cachers can see that these caches have at least been nominated for COTM/Y (I don't think we have a COTY?).
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

loneeagle_24 wrote:
This would be a great idea so that cachers can see that these caches have at least been nominated for COTM/Y (I don't think we have a COTY?).

I really don't think it's fair to have a "COTY" occur when only about 15 people on average vote for COTM.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centris wrote:
Suggestion -----
WGA gives out these cute little ribbons to be added to the cache page of the caches that win their COTM. It's a real nice touch and I think it positively promotes the WGA.

Not that I have any real say in the matter, but I do think this is a good idea - certainly can't hurt, can it?

To use MnGCA in the graphics I suppose we would need some sort of board approval...

Maybe if Wayfarin Stranger is still interested in the work, he could come up with a proposed graphic?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We would prefer that everyone wait until the Webmaster Committee finds a suitable MnGCA webmaster who may have specific design needs. Until that time we have no need for new graphics especially single images.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Cache of the Month All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: