MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SNA's?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You are saying that the DNR is currently banning caches on ANY land that it owns, regardless of it's designation (SNA, AMA, SP, ABC

not actively, not even specifically depending on what part of the website you read. But they have a regulation restricting "abandoned property" or "storage of property" (something similar) which effectively covers a cache.

Am I gonna archive my 3 dozen possibly illegal caches? no
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I skimmed through a couple of links that someone emailed to me. I was considering placing a cache in a WMA (I think that's what it was). If I had one there already I probably wouldn't pull it, but I probably won't go out of my way to place one there now. I may place one on the other side of it though...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Wisconsin geocacher emailed me with some questions regarding MN DNR lands. As I typed out my response to him I realized that I could not locate the answers to his questions. Maybe I just missed it?

SB wrote:
The current listing is confusing because it relates only to "Minnesota State Parks" when in fact it should probably note DNR land. I will move this discussion to the Board and we will come up with a solution to the listing.

I received some links via email a couple weeks ago regarding the DNR ban. What I received dealt with WMA and AMA lands in particular, but SB is saying "DNR land". Does this cover ALL DNR land (and do you have a link to that), or are we inferring ALL DNR land from the above links?

"DNR land" can include other things like State Forests, non-designated land, etc.

The question asked of me in particular was about state forests.

Thanks much!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can do nothing but assume and interpret because they only give us information in bits and pieces and sometimes not at all.

http://mngca.org/guidelines.php is a place to start which includes http://mngca.org/dnr.php -- the best bet is to contact the local authority and see what they say. If they are agreeable to geocaching please let us know and we will add the info for everyone to see.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess part of my point is that those two links you provide tell us different information. The main guidelines page says all DNR land while the dnr.php page doesn't say all land, rather it lists 4 individual areas.

Just looking for some clarification... I think your second paragraph is the bottom line though. Thanks!
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's what I was able to find online. I felt, and the rest of the Board agreed, that it is likely that all their lands share the ruling about "abandoned property" and their feelings about geocaches being just that.

JT is working on scheduling some talks with the DNR and if/when we meet with them we will make sure we learn exactly what they will and will not accept.

Until then we are going to take the safe side.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks greatly for the clarification! I see now what's behind some of the web pages.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Park Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: