MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best batteries?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
miles58
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I carry a gas mask bag with a 12V gel cell from a UPS in it. It has a 2" wide shoulder strap, room for SWAG to carry, spare logs, spare ziplocks, some napkins for drying wet caches. The gel cell has cigarette lighter connections (male and female) so I can plug in the GPSr and then plug the gel cell into my car to charge it.

About once a month I recharge the NiMH in the GPSrs just because, but sometimes I don't recharge for longer. My iFinder Hunt has a 12 hour battery life and it has had the AAs that are in it in there since before 4/7 and they're still above 50%. I also use an external powered antenna often as not, that, and the backlight will really suck up batteries. If you run on the big battery the AAs become irrelevant. The gel cels last 4-8 years typically in a UPS. Probably at least as long in a low current discharge application.

I put one of these complete lash-ups in a finders prize with Moving 123. Rock & a Hard place and Which One are both sitting close by and still need a F2F.. When Moving 123 has moved I am going to place a permanent cache in it's hide. It's a cool location with a cool hide.
jaywc7
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I really want, is one of those nice folding solar power sources. One that is atleast powerful enough to run the laptop. I think the one I've found is about the same size as the laptop itself when unfolded, and runs somewhere in the $120-$200 range or so. I have to look into them more, and don't have the $ for it, but someday! My ultimate goal, is to have all my equipment run of solar power, and sattellites. I'm thinking - GPS, SAT phone, and one of them little dishes that connects to the internet by sattellite too! Of course this is not cheap stuff, and will likely take me a few years to accumulate. I want to be anywhere on earth, and know where I am, have communications, and internet "period"

That's my definition of "Hooked Up"!!! Laughing
5savages
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaywc7 wrote:
What I really want, is one of those nice folding solar power sources.

Would this work?

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/xq/asp/base_no.99713/dept_id.L1~4370/qx/product.htm

Just $75. I order from these guys all the time....they're good folks.

Pat
jaywc7
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually yeah... I used to sell these things at Sportsman's Warehouse, and that's exactly what I had in mind. I haven't ever seen them that cheap though! Thanks!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: