MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

hijacked treasures

View previous topic :: View next topic  

how many travel bugs have you found?
none
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
1-10
40%
 40%  [ 8 ]
11-50
35%
 35%  [ 7 ]
51-100
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
101-200
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
200+
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
i'm centris
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 20

hardware
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 10:20 pm    Post subject: hijacked treasures Reply with quote

a moderator has since deleted the previous forum dedicated to said travel bug, but allow me to make a statement or two related to it. if you have no idea what i'm talking about, or don't care, then by all means, please stop reading.

the bug is once again ready to be placed. it wasn't cache ready, for a while, through no fault of my own. while the king and i have a standing dispute over a previous bug, i had 'trinkets and treasures' in my possession for less than two weeks when it became 'hijacked hardware.'

i had done nothing with the bug in the time i had it, and had not told the king the bug would not resurface, when it was suddenly renamed for reasons unbeknownst to me. i can tell you i was in no hurry whatsoever to place the bug elsewhere, but again, i had it in my possession for less than two weeks when it was renamed.

while that didn't prevent me from placing the bug in another cache, i certainly opted not to at that point. i'm just that petty. why would i? i don't care if the king and i have a standing grudge over a previous travel bug or not, i'm not going to do any favors for anyone who shows disrespect. when the king 'grabbed' it, even though i had it in my possession, i grabbed it back, and starting putting it in a graveyard, where i felt it belonged. if you had seen the bug page before the king cleaned it up, you saw me state that more than once.

i'm sure you're all much more honorable than i am and would have dumped the bug in a nearby cache as quickly as possible. (sarcasm mode on) but god knows i'm the only one who causes any troube. (sarcasm mode off)

so, when i insist the bug i had, which no longer existed, technically, belongs in a graveyard, and would continue to be placed there, a post went up at this forum, suggesting i had decided that nobody should have the bug, so here is it's tracking number for anyone to post a grab/find.

i continued to point out that trinkets and treasures no longer existed.

before i finish, let me address a couple of points.

rickrich noted on the bug page that the bug shouldn't be held hostage in a war, and that he regretted finding the bug and moving it. (that find has since been deleted.) sure, i grabbed the bug knowing it would irritate the king. i also knew that my action would probably pay me back with 10 times the entertainment. i enjoyed watching the king grab the bug and remove it from the graveyards. i've got a sadistic sense of humor that way. but to make it clear, rickrich, the bug was not being held with the intention of it being a hostage. as i've made it quite clear, the bug was altered by the king, in a way that wasn't polite. i didn't ask the king to change its name and grab it, even though he didn't have it. nor did i ever tell him it wasn't going to circulate. i may well have held onto it indefinitely, but that wasn't an option i was given, as the bug i had found quickly disappeared, as far as i was concerned. you can call it a hostage if you like, but that's not what it was.

now i'll forget who made the other comment on the bug page, (also deleted,) but it questioned why somebody would grab a bug and hold onto it. it's clear now i had it less than two weeks when it was changed. at that point i felt i was within my right to not place it anywhere. disagree with me? fine. but just as the king has the right to rename his bug, i have a right to hold onto it until i see fit to place it elsewhere. more important, i hadn't taken the bug with me on my trip to michigan, and i haven't spent time geocaching since that trip. so i hadn't even had a chance to place it elsewhere. and i'm far from the first person to grab a bug and take more than two weeks to drop it.

so, when i posted on this forum my question asking when i could drop off trinkets and treasures, the king indicted a willingness to allow that to happen. and he backed it up with his actions. he restored the bug page to something resembling what it was, and cleaned up the page to erase all our grabs and drops. (which, when i look back at it, is quite funny, in all its stupidity.)

i will circulate the bug in the near future because the king showed good faith. i'm not interested in pointing a finger and saying 'shame on you, it's all your fault.' but i want to make it clear that like me or not -- and that's far from my concern -- i gave no reason for the king to rename the bug hijacked hardware, and my 'decision' not to let anybody else have the bug by placing it in a graveyard was solely because of his action.

as i noted on the bug page, for at least a moment, the king and i have reached a peace accord, if but on this one item. once he acknowledges this message, his bug will be good to go. i have 2 or 3 ideas in mind on where i will drop it off.

if you cared enough to read this post, thanks for your interest and allowing me to speak my mind as this bug prepares to rejoin the cache world.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds about right to me

Thanks

arrive...raise heck...leave (SCSA)
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez, if you two start to cry and hug, I'm gonna puke!

Laughing
hardware
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't worry, there's no danger of that.

king, make sure you check your private messages, there's a new one for you as of 12:30 p.m. sunday.
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moe the Sleaze wrote:
Geez, if you two start to cry and hug, I'm gonna puke!

Awe Moe, that would never happen; then what would they do?

=) =) =) =) =)

-Aaron
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm working on a new cache for these situations, The Minnesota FlameFest.

Have a beef with another cacher? You go to the FlameFest cache and log your beef. Then you can post a note stating that XXX has been flamed. But you can't disclose the contents of the flame in your note. XXX, or any other interested parties, must visit the cache in order to discover the details of the flame.

I will make the walk to this cache suitably long, to encourage thoughtful reflection.

I expect to visit this cache a few times myself.

To get credit for this cache, the parties involved in the flamefest must all agree that the dispute has been resolved. This cache may be logged up to 4 times per year.

-Rick
LanceVE
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about this? Combatants also have to choose an avatar from Here.
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some photos of T&T's well-deserved mini-vacation...

http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?id=30339
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Travel Bugs All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: