MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Palm?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joelcam wrote:
I've had great luck using XMap Street Atlas handheld edition. It worked good on my old Sony Clie which was black and white, now it shines on the color Clie (which is also a lot faster). I've been able to upload all the waypoints for caches in the state and can see what's near by at a quick glance. The CD contains versions for both Palm and Pocket PC, so if you change OS, you're OK.

I've read some of the reviews for the Street Atlas 2005 Handheld product. One of the chief complaints seems to be speed while running on the Palm. Do you see any issues like that or does it seem pretty fast for you?

I'm leaning this way but don't want to shell out $40 for junk either...

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Joelcam
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
Joelcam wrote:
I've had great luck using XMap Street Atlas handheld edition. It worked good on my old Sony Clie which was black and white, now it shines on the color Clie (which is also a lot faster). I've been able to upload all the waypoints for caches in the state and can see what's near by at a quick glance. The CD contains versions for both Palm and Pocket PC, so if you change OS, you're OK.

I've read some of the reviews for the Street Atlas 2005 Handheld product. One of the chief complaints seems to be speed while running on the Palm. Do you see any issues like that or does it seem pretty fast for you?

I'm leaning this way but don't want to shell out $40 for junk either...

Thanks!

It's a lot faster on my TH55 than it was on my SJ20. I think it's a bit more stable on Palm OS5 too. I've been extreamly happy with the TH55, I've had it almost a year and I keep finding new uses for it.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much detail does the Street Atlas provide when you get really zoomed in?

One of my chief desires in mapping is to help me in that last few blocks to get to the cache. I can route myself on major roads just fine - it's that last few blocks that you often end up driving around the most before you find the "right spot".

I tried out Rand McNally's product but it doesn't seem to give street names when it's zoomed way in. The most it will give is apparently two names in the current view. This is hard to work with when you're looking at a dozen streets...

If you could post some digital camera shots of your XMap I'd sure appreciate it!

Thanks to everyone for all of the info so far!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Autorouting! Wink
TangoDeltaDelta
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Palm, GPS, cell phone Reply with quote

I use a Palm Tungsten E (in a metal hardcase) with Mobipocket and PocketQueries from the GC site. That works well for keeping all the local cache info up-to-date and handily available when out in the field. I have a couple of queries setup to run every other day centered on work and home. (I've got an SD card to give me more storage space for this and music, etc.) I wouldn't want to be without it. This works GREAT!

I also have some other freeware on the Palm -- HintDecoder (not really required as the hints are not encoded but rather on an "Appendix" page in Mobipocket, but some multi-stages have ROT-13 clues) and Mimee, which can do unit conversions. These only see occasional use.

I don't actually log on the Palm, but rather just from memory when I get back to a PC and an internet connection (more on this below). I also haven't loaded a mapping program on it yet. If I'm really not sure of the driving directions, laser-printed paper is where I'm at so far. The GC maps or any of the on-line maps work pretty well as long as you can zoom in and out.)

I tend to be much more selective when adding cache waypoints to my GPS. I have a Garmin Etrex Legend ( and a compass -- I wish I had a Vista -- I may upgrade) and about half of my waypoints are entered by hand, and the other half via a .loc file using the serial data cable and PC freeware EasyGPS. Either works fine for me.

I've tried accessing the WAP site for geocaching.com, but it to date I haven't gotten it working correctly on my Sanyo SCP-4900 cell phone. The one thing I've really been considering upgrading, primarily because of geocaching, is my cell phone. Some of the newer phones apparently have better browsers that work/play well with the WAP site, and having a camera built in would be much easier than carrying a separate digital camera -- I'd probably get a lot more pictures, and be able to log a find from virtually anywhere. I think these things would add to the fun.

IMHO, the biggest thing is to have fun! If the tools make it more fun, use 'em -- if not, leave them at home. Cool

(You can google all the software names mentioned above for current links.)
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up buying a Sony Clie. To make a long story short, I'm having problems with the one I have and will most likely buy a different Sony Clie model. I also bought a 512MB stick (I didn't want to ever have to worry about memory, which I don't).

I tried the Rand McNally maps for the palm and will end up mailing them back to the company for my $ back (I have the permission email, just have to mail it back now). The reason I wasn't happy with them was primarily that it didn't display street names. I could get it to display 1 often, 2 rarely, and never more than that. Seeing a grid of 6 square city blocks with no street names is hard to navigate.

I'm currently trying out the Mapopolis stuff (google for palm maps I think). They have demo maps for free that expire over time (9 days). I will eventually come up with a serial cable to hook up my GPS (I think I have one somewhere). I haven't found the mapping to be useful at all yet - it will probably be more so when I have a GPS hooked up. Right now it's not worth my time to find out where I am on the map and where the cache is so I can figure out how to get there.

I'm curious how Silent Bob (and others) do mapping while on the road. Explain more please.

I tried the Cachemate software on the palm but didn't like it because it seemed like too much selecting to get all of the information that you wanted.

I ended up going the route that EasyStarts outlined earlier in this thread. It was a big pain to get started but it seems like it works ok now. I run 4 PQs for MN, 2 for WI, 2 for OK, one for my own caches, and another odd one here and there. Most are twice a week. The MN query pulls ALL MN active caches, including those that I've found. The WI and OK ones only pull unfound (by me) active caches. I don't always update GSAK or my Palm, but at least by pulling the PQs twice a week I can get all of the logs into the Palm.

I was only going to pull the MN caches that I haven't found but decided to pull them all as a number of times I have gotten cell phone calls from other cachers looking for information on such and such a cache.

I can't keep track of the caches I do in my head until I log them so I use the memo pad so I can scratch out the information to log later.

So, that's where I'm at now. I've had the Palm for about two weeks now so it's still a learning experience.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again EarlyStarts for the information on your GSAK and Plucker setup.

I modified your PQ dates a little a couple of days ago to create more "room" in the final query, since some querys were returning far less than 500 caches. I now use:

Jan 1, 2000 -> Aug 10, 2003 = 490 caches
Aug 11, 2003 -> May 1, 2004 = 480 caches
May 2, 2004 -> Nov 1, 2004 = 489 caches
Nov 2, 2004 -> July 1, 2005 = 434 caches and counting
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
I'm curious how Silent Bob (and others) do mapping while on the road. Explain more please.

Autorouting GPS units (most of us have a 76C or 76CS) some are using the 60C or 60CS and then s4xton has an Etrex Color Venture which also has autorouting.

Now, I haven't purchased the best mapset for Mapsource (City Select) and I'm still using Metroguide. It works for me for the most part. Sometimes autorouting like to pwn you and make you go 10 miles out of your way because it's trying to get you to the road closest to the cache rather than the trail Wink

Caching with autorouting makes caching enjoyable, fast, and easy. Autorouting also makes navigating any foreign area easier than you could imagine.

In Duluth Metroguide likes to try to autoroute you down one way streets -- be aware Wink
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I understand... Thanks. I would still like to get out caching with you sometime so that I can understand all of that great technology that I'm missing out on.
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
geo-demand -n500 -T'11/05/2000-07/25/2003' -NMN-0 MN    #500 caches
geo-demand -n500 -T'07/26/2003-04/22/2004' -NMN-1 MN    #500 caches
geo-demand -n500 -T'04/23/2004-10/01/2004' -NMN-2 MN    #500 caches
geo-demand -n500 -T'10/02/2004-04/09/2005' -NMN-3 MN    #495 caches
geo-demand -n500 -T'04/10/2005-' -NMN-4 MN              #67 caches

As of today.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does that filter out the non-active caches? We (or I anyway) don't download caches that are not active...

I think that is the way Early Starts had suggested as well.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
I modified your PQ dates a little a couple of days ago to create more "room" in the final query, since some querys were returning far less than 500 caches. I now use:

Jan 1, 2000 -> Aug 10, 2003 = 490 caches
Aug 11, 2003 -> May 1, 2004 = 480 caches
May 2, 2004 -> Nov 1, 2004 = 489 caches
Nov 2, 2004 -> July 1, 2005 = 434 caches and counting

Nov 2, 2004 -> April 25, 2005 = 497 caches
April 26 -> ...
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jan 1, 2000 -> Oct 31, 2003 = 499
Nov 1, 2003 -> Aug 10, 2004 = 493
Aug 11, 2004 -> Apr 15, 2005 = 498
April 16, 2005 -> Aug 31, 2005 = 499
Sept 1, 2005 -> Jan 1, 2006 = 498
Jan 2, 2006 -> ? = 218 and counting
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: